Notices

Starting weight lifting

Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

I agree with Tandoorichicken's advice. You can also check out Bodybuilding.com for more information.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Angry fumming mad

Today at the gym, I asked one of the trainers to help me make sure I was doing a squat properly. My knees were twinging from the leg extension and I didn't want to hurt them.

Before I rant, I will say that how she showed me how to do the squat was MUCH better than what I had tried. Bring my feet together more and make sure I'm lined up. No twinging.

But then, she proceeded to tell me that I was lifting too much weight on the machines and that I shouldn't be going for building muscle, but for toning (I've been reading stumptuous.com and know that's BS - great site BTW). And that I SHOULD JUST LIFT THE SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT (LEGS) THAT I HAVE BEEN. People, I JUST started this 2 1/2 weeks ago! Don't tell me that 'I'm strong enough' - and then she pointed me to the cardio. Look, I've done cardio until I'm blue in the face. Yes I lost SOME weight, but without enough protien I ended up losing even more muscule.

*sigh*

Look, I know it's standard to see a 250 lb woman (although apparently I don't look like I'm that heavy, but I am) and assume that all it takes is cardio. But after how weak the weight watchers plan left me, I'd MUCH rather have muscle than not.

And yes, I AM counting calories, thank you very much and for that matter I've been off sugar for 10 years.

Sorry guys, it's just that I HATE that someone just assumed they knew everything about me all because I asked for help on how to do a squat.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

I'm also POed, hurt and upset because I've been so happy and proud that I am NOT as weak as I thought I was! Serously, right now I just never want to go back.

And her 'advice' cut into MY time at the gym!

And she told me not to work on my abs until I was within 10 lbs of goal. WTF?!?!? I had a bloody c-section with both horizontal and vertical cuts!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

cozy, I would be fuming too. I think that the way you are going about it is perfect. I think that it is silly to avoid weight lifting and every trainer should realize that muscle is very important to overall health and wellness. I also think it is silly to wait until within 10 lb of your goal to do abs. If that is actually the case, you can just set mini goals for 10 lb lower than your current weight!

Anyway, don't let her discourage you, and if she says anything like that again, just thank her for her advice and just keep doing what you are doing!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cozycataloger
Today at the gym, I asked one of the trainers to help me make sure I was doing a squat properly. My knees were twinging from the leg extension and I didn't want to hurt them.

Before I rant, I will say that how she showed me how to do the squat was MUCH better than what I had tried. Bring my feet together more and make sure I'm lined up. No twinging.

But then, she proceeded to tell me that I was lifting too much weight on the machines and that I shouldn't be going for building muscle, but for toning (I've been reading stumptuous.com and know that's BS - great site BTW). And that I SHOULD JUST LIFT THE SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT (LEGS) THAT I HAVE BEEN. People, I JUST started this 2 1/2 weeks ago! Don't tell me that 'I'm strong enough' - and then she pointed me to the cardio. Look, I've done cardio until I'm blue in the face. Yes I lost SOME weight, but without enough protien I ended up losing even more muscule.

*sigh*

Look, I know it's standard to see a 250 lb woman (although apparently I don't look like I'm that heavy, but I am) and assume that all it takes is cardio. But after how weak the weight watchers plan left me, I'd MUCH rather have muscle than not.

And yes, I AM counting calories, thank you very much and for that matter I've been off sugar for 10 years.

Sorry guys, it's just that I HATE that someone just assumed they knew everything about me all because I asked for help on how to do a squat.

This just illustrates how uneducated even those who are supposed 'professionals' in the health industry can be. Rely on the knowledge that you have already gained and disregard the opinions of the uninformed.

I would venture this trainer has never lost a significant amount of weight, and so does not understand the battle to maintain muscle during a long term period of sustained caloric deficit. Because she can regulate her 5-10 pound weight fluctuations with cadio alone she thinks everyone else can acheive significant weight loss the same way.

Don't let someone else tell you what your goals should be. If you want to be stronger work toward that. Your ultimate body goal, whether that be to look like Twiggy or the Hulk or some where in between, should be your own. Trainers and other professionals should only assist you toward that end. You would never go to a hair salon with a certain style of hair cut in mind and then let the stylist imposed their own preference. Don't let this uninformed individual impose theirs.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys! I AM ignoring her. To the point that today, I didn't use the machines at all. I did body weight on the legs - Squats (3 sets of 13) and split leg squats (3 sets of 8 - GADS to do I need to build up those quads!)

I also did arms with dumbells - and I've had to increase the weight I lift there! Yeah! PLUS, I worked on the abs - I'm up to the plank hold (3 times at 45 seconds. Considering that just 2 1/2 weeks ago I couldn't hold it once for 15 seconds, this is improvement) 225 crunches and heel raise for 30 seconds each.

So, to heck with her! :-)
Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Just to let who-ever know. The free weights REALLY paid off! When I did the rowing machine, I never really got sore. Yesterday I did the back row with dumbells and for the first time I can really feel those muscles in my back! Also, unlike the chest press and other machines, I'm feeling like I really got a workout today.

And thanks to the squats, I'm feeling it in my glutes.

Feelin' good!

Question - the scale isn't responding even though my clothes are fitting looser. Is this normal? A friend of mine said that the scale didn't respond for a month when she started, even though she was dieting.

I'm not doing super-low cal, more like 1700-1900 calories per day. (Less than 1500 and my hair falls out. Call me vain, but I like my hair!)
Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

The scale is not the only measure of success. I recommend you measure yourself (waist, chest, hips, biceps, thighs....) so you can track how your body is transforming. If your clothes are looser then you are burning fat and building muscle. Because muscle is denser than fat you don't see the results on the scale.

If your hair falls out when you eat 1500 calories it probably isn't a calorie problem as much as a vitamin/nutrient deficiency. If you have been tracking your food on Fitday then you can look at your percentage of Recommended Daily Allowance for vitamins and minerals. A good multi-vitamin is also a good idea when you are restricting calories for the same reason.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

I recently got this accumeasure body fat testing calipers too. Accu-Measure Fitness 3000

They were $19.99 at GNC. Using tape measurements, a scale, and a body fat calipers you can truly measure your progress.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

It took me 6 weeks to see a difference in my scale, but I had lost several inches. It's hard to get past the weight mindset, but if your clothes are looser and you feel good, you are experiencing success!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.