Notices

Toning & Trimming Exercises?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Toning & Trimming Exercises?

I have over 100+ pounds to lose, and one of the things I'm worried about is excess skin once I achieve my ultimate goal. I know there are cosmetic surgery procedures out there to deal with that, but I really am opposed to it personally.

I am trying to alternate my cardio exercises with strength training (light weights), and don't plan to lose my weight overnight; but I wondered if any of you have suggested toning or trimming exercises to help reduce that problem?

Have you tried any creams or remedies to help the elasticity of your skin?

Is it possible, with the proper fitness program, this won't be an issue to worry about?

Thanks in advance for any replies or feedback!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Just an unrelated addendum to my first post. I just updated my body measurements -- which I'm trying to track weekly on Mondays -- and I have seen a decrease in all measurements except my legs, which both thigh & calf measurements have increased slightly.

Is that unusual to lose in certain areas but gain in others?

I'm feeling good, and will be curious to see what my measurements are next week.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there, A woman in my gym (60's) has shed over 160# in the last year or so, from 320 to around 150 and she has NOT dieted, just changed her way of eating completely, her calories are reduced somewhat, and she exercises almost every day. She takes all kinds of classes, whatever the gym has to offer, from Zumba to boxing, and she is lifting weights now, too. She does have loose skin but she isn't at her goal weight yet, maybe another 20 pounds she says. She constantly changes up her workouts and is about ready to get a personal trainer. She says her grandchildren even eat differently now that she does! Good luck to you on your journey, take lots of pictures so you can motivate yourself even more as you lose weight and inches. I think you have a really good attitude and will be very successful!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for sharing that Noel! It's always really encouraging to hear success stories, especially for someone at a mature age. I'm 43, and have had a life-long struggle with my weight. But this is the first time, after many years of yo-yo dieting, that I'm not dieting.

I just am excited about getting healthier, eating more natural foods and moving about. Exercise doesn't come naturally for me, but I'm definitely trying to make movement a daily habit.

A lot of factors go into the ability of your skin to stretch & shrink, and I just want to make sure I'm doing whatever I can to tone as I lose, and possibly prevent a lot of excess loose skin. Though, I don't consider myself a vain person and will just be happy to be healthier, loose skin or not.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

You are an amazing person to take on this challenge. Here's a tip: my dead-level favorite breakfast cereal is Kashi Go Lean (NOT Go Lean Crunch). it has 10 gm fiber and 13 gm protein, tastes great, fuels me up for my workout. After my workout, I have a recovery shake of 1 C 1% milk, 8-9 frozen strawberries, and 1 C frozen blueberries or mixed berries. This is about 10 gm protein, 40 gm carb and you do it in the blender. It comes out just like ice cream and is such a great treat on a hot day. You can see, I don't do Atkins. I believe in healthy food, when hungry, very little processed. I'm 65 (almost) and keep my weight in a 5# range with my BMI being about 22. I'd like to be lower in body fat (I'm at28%) but my body just doesn't want to go there anymore. If you want a resource to guide you into a non-diet approach, I highly recommend How to Become Naturally Thin by Eating More, by Jean Antonello. It's out of print now but you can find it on Amazon. This will rock your world! It is a complete paradigm shift in how to eat and why dieting is never going to work as a permanent solution. I've been "Naturally Thin" for 20 years now and it is the best advice I ever found to get me out of "eating disordered" mode. By the way, good luck and I just wanted to say I read some of Ruby Freckles and loved your journals. How fun would it be to do one for your weight loss?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Nurture the skin

Hey smooshmcsmeesh,

Congrats on your decision to take control over your body.

My best suggestion for reducing the possibility of lose skin is to pamper your skin. The ability to lose the excess skin after weight depends a lot on your age. The closer to menopause the less elasticty your skin has, but exfoliation and lots of moisturizer can go a long way to keeping outside hydrated while you work on the inside.

I have had a lot of luck with products that contain Q10. They are often labled as "skin firming". I haven't lost as much weight as you are planning to, but I am post menopausal. I definitely noticed a little excess stuff, especially around the middle. But with time and lots of lotion it has largely gone away.

Keep up the good work, and remember to take care of the outside. Beauty may only be skin deep, but if the skin is in great shape the rest of you will glow!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

@Noel - Thanks for those great recommendations. I do love Kashi cereals, so that is easy to add to my menu. I am so encouraged to hear about your long-term success! That's awesome =). I'm an avid reader, and will definitely look up that book you mentioned.

I went to a garage sale over the weekend and picked up a book called "Thin for Life" that came out in the early '90's. It is a study of people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off for several years at minimum. It has been exciting to read, and interesting how different approaches worked for different people.

@Run - Thank you for those great suggestions too. I definitely need to moisturize more than I am doing. I live in a Northern climate and tend to do it more in the Winter, but want to get a better body pampering regimen year round. Appreciate those tips & the support!

Best always,
Smoosh