Notices

Exercise Scares Me! =)

Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

YouTube - rocky3 eye of the tiger

Enjoy!

Haha I found a better one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf8oZ...eature=related

Last edited by midwestj; 08-13-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

LOL Jason, awesome... thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all. I'm new to this website (just joined today). Smoosh, congrats on your progress. The hardest part of beginning an exercise routine is actually getting in the routine and building up. The best piece of advice I can give you is to stay motivated. Schedule in exercise, just like you would a doctors appointment or anything else you put on your calendar. If you keep all your exercise "appointments" for, say, a week, reward yourself (NOT food!). Even something as small like a cute notepad out of the $1.00 bin at a store, or a new body lotion that you wouldn't normally buy yourself. You may never grow to love exercise, but the feeling you get, mind and body, after a nice workout is amazing and think of the improvement to your health! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
FitDay Member

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little afraid to do my Friday depletion workout this week. I was so pumped all day, but got a little nervous right before hand because I know how rough it is. But I ended up getting one of my best workouts ever... I was sore 30 minutes afterwards... Today I feel dead physically, but great mentally.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
FitDay Member

Hi smooshmscmeesh - I'm 51, 100 lbs to lose and while I am reluctant to say I hate exercise, I do hate sweating and I hate the feeling that two minutes into what I am doing when my muscles start to complain, and the clock says I still have 28 mins to go!! But I am married to a man who is fit and not overweight and loves exercise. He is a spinning instructor, and he persuaded me to go. The first time I did it, it made me cry!! You really need someone to do it with - someone who does not commiserate with you but motivates you to keep going (I mean sessions, not time!!) - and not someone who measures the amount of calories burnt in the number of chocolate bars you can have!! There is nothing more demotivating than doing something you find difficult with someone who is negative about it - you will go once and never again!! My husbands classes are good as well because the lights are off - we have disco lights (so you don't feel as if you are being watched), and really you can then go at your own pace. You don't feel as though you have to compete with anyone else but you do have some guidance to keep you going. The key is to go with someone who will motivate you to go the second time, and the third, and the fourth.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Smoosh,

Great to hear you are upping your physical activity!

I have not seen the biggest looser DVD's, but I did see a couple shows and I have to admit they are horrible! Many of the things they make those people do are dangerous and may result in permanent joint problems and other health issues. The show is designed for ratings and not for healthy and permanent weight loss. Several of the winners have gained most or all of ther weight back.

The hard way to lose weight is to try and exercise it all off. If you can keep up the intensity level to burn those extra calories for decades, you might be able to keep your weight down until you get too old to keep working out at that intensity level. Then your weight will return with a vengeance.

If you are not losing weight through diet alone, then exercise isn't going to help you keep it off. You need to make sure you have made a lifestyle change to the way you fuel your body. Ironically, you are likely starving yourself or many micronutrients. When you do this, your body craves more food to get enough of those micronutrients which means you end up eating too many macronutrients in the form of protein, carbs, and fat. If you give your body all the micronutrients it needs, your cravings will diminish. In addition, you will have more energy and feel better overall, which is more conducive to you wanting to engage in physical activities.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, beans, lengumes, and other plant-based foods have the highest nutrient density. That means that they have a higher ratio of micronutrients compared to their macronutrients. Animal products have a very low ratio.

If there is one thing you should cut out first and foremost, it is dairy. Dairy's purpose is to make a baby put on lots and lots of weight! It not only does this with fat, protein, and carbs, but also growth hormones. Even "hormone-free" dairy is still packed with the animals natural hormones. It just doesn't have any added hormones.

If you want the weight to melt right off, I suggest a 100% raw diet of fruits and vegetables. Eat all throughout the day with a peach here, an apple there, a smootie with some spinach, kale, and bananas, and you could easily lose 100 pounds in a year. Your gut will take some time getting use to the new food supply, so give it time if you decide to try it.

As far as exercise is concerned, I would focus on long walks and keep building up your cardio-respiratory endurance, and leg joint mobility and stability. If you start feeling any pain, take a day or two off. At this point, you want to avoid anything high impact or even high intensity. Not only because it might be too much for your body, but because you don't need it and forcing yourself to do it might make you lose your motivation. Just build up slowly, and maybe within a year or so, you might be finding yourself running a marathon, or something amazing like that!

With yappy dogs, you can try some reverse psychology When they bark, say "Speak" and give them a treat. Do this for a while until you can get them to bark on command. Then, when they bark randomly, loudly say "Quiet" and when they stop barking, give them a treat. You will be able to get them to "quiet" on command then.

Also, you might be encouraging them to bark. If they are barking and you yell at them, they might just think you are joining in with them. Or, if you have anxiety about them barking, they will sense that and think you are scared of whatever they are barking at and they are trying to protect you.

There are many good dog training books. I use all non-violent methods and recommend a book called "The Dog Whisperer" by Paul Owens.

I hope this helps!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for your posts of support, encouragement and great advice! I learn so much from all of you and continue to be so motivated by your efforts & progress.

As I've said before, this time feels completely different than any other attempts I've made to lose weight. I'm more focused on better food choices and daily movement, moreso than the scale, and I'm really happy about that. I feel more 'content' with this instead of apprehensive as I've felt in the past. I also have no fear of it ending, whereas in previous years I've always worried about falling off the wagon. So mentally I think I'm in the right place this time, and it feels really good!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
FitDay Member

Smoosh, it looks like you already got a lot of good advice, but I will add my $.02 as well. If you are like me, then you don't currently have any intention of getting "ripped" and are more interested in some kind of sustainable exercise for health reasons. I find that this type of exercise is easiest when you couple it with some other purpose. For example, when my fiance and I first started a weight loss plan, we would walk a couple of miles to the grocery store every day to buy the ingredients for that evening's dinner. Our schedules have diverged somewhat since then so those walks are not possible, but I got a pedometer and try to make sure to get at least 10,000 steps every day. I do this by parking farther away than I need to, taking the long route to places at work, etc. I also go to play disc golf a couple of times a week. Walking is a great way to introduce your body to more physical activity, and over time you will find that you have more energy and might even be compelled to do some jogging. In my case, a friend and I who play disc golf together now jog between the holes to make even more of a workout out of it. I know that someone else mentioned using your dog walks as a form of exercise and that sounds like it would be a great start.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

Thats awesome you got on the treadmill. I have found that I wont go outside and walk just for the sake of walking. I have to have a destination!! Now, I walk my daughter to shcool and back so I get 4 miles 5 days a week. When I lived in the mountains I would walk to my brothers to steal a bottle of water or see my nephew. His house was 1/4 mile but some severe mountains. Also- I would leave the 4-wheeler at the bottom of the road and walk home, then the next day walk to the 4-wheeler to bring it home. It sounds crazy- but if I HAVE to do it, there is less chance of me blowing the walking off. Plus, after a while, you dont need an excuse- now I just walk to walk also. (But I wouldnt do 4 miles if it wasnt for school!)