started aerobics & weights and the scale went up 5 pounds >

started aerobics & weights and the scale went up 5 pounds

Community
Notices

started aerobics & weights and the scale went up 5 pounds

Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default started aerobics & weights and the scale went up 5 pounds

I have been tracking everything I eat and have been on target with calories in being less than burned. I went over calories by 100 cal 2 days. after 2 weeks of aerobics & weights 3 times/wk I gained 5 pounds. I am almost defeated as its hard for me to lose weight to begin with. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Yes I went down a size so I must be toning but I am obsessed with the numbers on the scale and dont know how to overcome that.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

you went down a size in 2 weeks and you feel defeated? Wow- that is a huge deal!!! If you're going down in inches, but going up on the scale, it means you've gained muscle! Not only that, but you may be retaining water. Keep up with it, and you will see a difference!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

Lock your scale in the trunk of your car and use the tape measure for a while. I can gain 5 lbs in the course of a day depending on what time of the month it is and what I eat. It's not healthy to be so dependent on that number on the scale. It fluctuates way too much, and it NEVER EVER goes down as quickly as we want it to. Going down a size is a huge deal, eff what the scale says.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Losing inches is very underrated. Losing inches actually gives you the visual results you are looking for, 1-2 pounds on a scale might not amount to much, but 1-2 inches off your waist or chest and you will feel and see the difference. Muscle also weighs more than fat so, even if you have lost inches and replaced some fat mass with lean mass you might have gained a little weight, this is hardly a bad thing. Just adding shear muscle mass will also cause you to burn more calories doing everything, so it can only help your transformation efforts.

For me this is a body transformation journey not a weight loss journey because I am doing far more than just losing weight!