FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Working Out at Home (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/155-working-out-home.html)

emilymckelvain 01-14-2010 04:31 PM

Working Out at Home

Hi, I like working out at home because I can try new things without having to worry about what I wear or looking dumb! :)

I mostly enjoy "old school" type workouts - jumping rope (hard!), sprints, push-ups, sit-ups, free weights, kettlebells, etc.

I live in West Texas where the weather is usually nice even in the winter, and I love excercising outside in the back yard when possible, so this cold weather sucks - I'm stuck inside all the time!

Do any of you have suggestions for new routines I can try in the house? Many thanks in advance!!

kathietaylor 01-15-2010 01:52 AM

There is a type of exercise called Callanetics, I don't know if you have ever heard of it or not but it is great. It is a combination of ballet and yoga moves and it reshapes the body faster than any program I have ever tried. You can find some of the older routines on amazon or ebay, or you can get the newer ones on the callanetics website. The new one does have a cardio version as well as the regular one. I have done this off and on over the years, and everytime I start I am impressed with the fast results in reshaping my body.

emilymckelvain 01-16-2010 05:20 PM

Thanks, Kathie! I'm out of town - I'll have to check that out when I get back!

abearbodies 01-18-2010 04:31 AM

I'm like you, I love exercising in the back yard with sled work, sandbags, sledgehammer, jump rope, etc. It's been raining so much over here plus with the cold weather I've been relegated to doing stuff indoors. Something I've been doing is complexes. Pretty much just taking a barbell (dumbells could suffice) and doing a series of movements for a couple of reps one after another.

Just an idea :)

fosterkidd 01-18-2010 01:34 PM

Do you have a balance ball? I love working out with mine. You can use it for push-ups, sit-ups, etc. It gives me a nice variation to the regular routine. I also use it for stretching.

ejay85 01-18-2010 09:59 PM

Cans from your cupboard, better than any free weights!

emilymckelvain 01-19-2010 04:50 PM

abearbodies - What kind of excercises do you do with your sandbag? I have a 50 lb. gravel bag (I thought it would be less likely to leak than sand). I've done some lifting and walking with it, and some very slow sprints (if you could call it that!). It's really challenging!!

Soon2bHotMomma 01-20-2010 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by emilymckelvain (Post 976)
Hi, I like working out at home because I can try new things without having to worry about what I wear or looking dumb! :)

I mostly enjoy "old school" type workouts - jumping rope (hard!), sprints, push-ups, sit-ups, free weights, kettlebells, etc.

I live in West Texas where the weather is usually nice even in the winter, and I love excercising outside in the back yard when possible, so this cold weather sucks - I'm stuck inside all the time!

Do any of you have suggestions for new routines I can try in the house? Many thanks in advance!!

dips on one of your dinning room chairs, i like crunches with my oldest on my abs (or holding the baby)--but you need kids for that one. my boyfriend does extensive workouts with resistance bands and LOVES them, i used to do this for pt for my shoulder and it really worked my arms out. if you have stairs those always provide a good workout, either running them for cardio...or using the first one as an incline for various things.

i like outdoor workouts better too, so hopefully this helps.

babypinkbunny 01-20-2010 06:02 AM

Hey everyone!
Love this thread. I live at the top of a mountain and am way to far from any gym. I workout in my basement and have lost about 4 lbs in 3.5 wks (slow but steady).
I have 25 and 15 lb dumb bells which are great for arms and chest, but also holding the dumbbell and doing lunges and squats REALLy work the butt and thighs!

My routine also consists of pushups, Jumping jacks, i have a yoga mat which is good for side planks, abs, etc..
Hope everyone's 2010 is starting off great!

abearbodies 01-21-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by emilymckelvain (Post 1308)
abearbodies - What kind of excercises do you do with your sandbag? I have a 50 lb. gravel bag (I thought it would be less likely to leak than sand). I've done some lifting and walking with it, and some very slow sprints (if you could call it that!). It's really challenging!!

I order a duffel bag from an Army surplus website and then I went to Lowes and got some heavy duty garbage bags, a ton of duct tape and two 50lb bags of sand. One Sunday afternoon I brought all that outside plus a scale and made a bunch of bags of sand from 5lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs, 30lbs till all 100lbs were gone. I duct tape the holy heck out of them and now I throw in what I need into the duffel bag and duct tape the bejesus out of it. So I can go from 5lbs to 100lbs although I've only ever gotten up to 65lbs.

What I do is a series of carries up and down my driveway which is roughly 50 feet long. I do Zercher carries, shoulder carries and overhead carries. I'll pick up the sandbag, get it in position for Zercher carries and carry to the end, turn around and walk back, drop it on the ground. Then pick it up again and get it on my left shoulder, carry it back and forth, drop it then pick it up again and place it on my right shoulder and go back and forth.

Then for the coup de gras, I pick it up, raise it over my head with outstretched arms and carry it back and forth. As this point I go back and pick up the lung or two that I might have lost along the way and wave at all the passing neighbors looking at me like I'm training to be an Al-Qaeda terrorist or something.

It really is a simple approach but this along with sled work makes a huge difference in my conditioning. Like you posted, it is challenging!!! I've never sprinted with them, now THAT sounds interesting! I'm not quite sure I could handle that. :eek: