Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
The Wed Club - Weekly Check-In for 6/23/10 >

The Wed Club - Weekly Check-In for 6/23/10

Community
Notices

The Wed Club - Weekly Check-In for 6/23/10

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome to all the newbies - great to have you with us along this journey!
It's awesome to see this group grow and develop; I'm always looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Nessa, congrats on making it under 200 - that is fantastic!!!

Rose, great job on losing 3 lbs this week!! And cudos to you for staying focused while you were in Mexico

Almeeker, you are doing so great! You truly are an inspiration.

kaitlin, losing 2.2 pounds in 4 days is huge! Keep going!! I'm glad to have you with us.

I had a couple of BBQs to attend this past few days and couldn't track my calories for the first time in two months since I was away travelling. I'm pretty sure I did go overboard with my calorie intake, but it was awesome meeting up with friends and family, so it was totally worth it. Anyways, I'm back on track today!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to everyone who posted their stats. It's very informative. I have been trying to raise my protein intake and yesterday got it to 38% so I was pretty happy with that. What I am most excited about is all the exercise I have been doing. I can feel such a difference it's amazing! Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans I could NOT squeeze into just 3 weeks ago and all I've lost is 6.6 pounds! I can hardly believe what a difference in my body. I've had to lose way more than that to drop a size in the past but I think the exercise has knocked a few inches off that haven't shown up on the scale due to muscle gain. It just goes to show how significant measuring yourself can be. I took all my measurements 3 weeks ago and plan on charting my progress once a month. For those of you who haven't discovered it, it's under the "Body" tab.

Frank, you are doing so well and are so focused. I'm totally impressed!

Welcome to Alice and Kaitlin! Glad to have you in our club!

Molly, thanks for managing our Wed Club check-ins and so happy to hear you had such a great time catching up with friends and family.

Jackie, have an amazing vacation! No internet? Wow, sounds nice... enjoy every minute.

Cassie, thanks again for always providing such sound advice!

Have a great Sunday, Everyone!
Rose

Last edited by mtlgirl; 06-27-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

I love this site!

CJohnson: Congrats on 14 weeks of maintenance! I really think that's the hardest part of this whole process. Sometimes it's hard to be excited about staying the same when you've worked so hard to change something.

tjkhoover: Thanks for the nice comments - you add a lot of wisdom to these threads. I will miss you while you're on vacation and hope you have a wonderful time. I think I would love a working on the farm vacation - fresh air, fresh food, good exercise . . .

I'm even looking forward to recording my weight on Wednesday. So far this week I've hit the same lowest weight three out of four days.

Alice
Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mtlgirl
WOW, almeeker you rock. We are the same age and roughly the same height. I'm a whopping 1 inch taller than you. I have been trying to raise my protein intake and have it at about 30-35%. I find it so difficult. Do you mind sharing what you eat in a typical day to get your protein at 40%?
Well aren't you sweet. Thanks for the compliment. I try and hit the proteins hard at breakfast, usually a tuna melt (whole can of tuna in water - drained) with reduced fat cheese (1-2 ounces) and a protein shake made with skim milk. When I'm out of tuna I will make myself an egg white omelet, or maybe a toasted turkey slimwich. This is right after my workout, so it's the perfect time for a big boost of protein. I also have protein at lunch but the source varies, sometimes chicken, sometimes cottage cheese, sometimes I eat more than one serving because I've got too many carbs in my pie chart, so maybe tuna plus cottage cheese or chicken and Greek yogurt. If my proteins are low I will also have a protein filled afternoon snack, maybe a protein smoothie or a cup of Greek yogurt, almonds, deviled eggs or a protein bar of some sort. For dinner we usually eat a serving of meat, chicken, fish, beef, sometimes pork along with veggies. Typically my lowest protein meal of the day is dinner, which is absolutely reverse of my life prior to fitday.

Below I've listed my top "go to" foods when I need to up my protein. I'm a carbaholic by nature, and when left to my own devices gravitate towards a vegetarian diet. I seldom crave meat, so Atkins would be impossible for me to stick with over a long period of time, but I can work with the list below and even occasionally crave some of them, even the tuna.

can of tuna 42.6 grams
4 oz chicken 23 grams
Greek yogurt 15 grams (my fave brand is "Fage Total 0%")
protein shake 14-23 grams (depending on brand & flavor)
protein bars 10-23 grams (depending on brand & flavor)
1/2 cup cottage cheese 13 grams

other good sources:

nuts and nut butters
milk
sour cream
yogurt (varies so read the label)
beef
whole grain bread (varies so read the label)
gelatin
shellfish
soy (milk, cheese, sour cream, tofu, TVP)
bacon
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, thank you so much! I took your advice and yesterday I went out and got some lean turkey, a dozen eggs and some Greek yogurt and today I hit 40% protein! Yay!

I really appreciate you sharing this with me because I am a total carb addict and vegetarian by nature. In fact I was a vegetarian for 16 years but I was constantly having to take iron pills for anemia. I finally gave in and started eating meat again, but I just don't like red meat and I don't think I have it more than twice a month. With this list of high protein foods though, I feel like I can get enough. I also found a protein bar that I like, called the Simply Bar. It has under 160 calories, very low fat and 16g of protein. It tasted pretty good too!

This forum is really great! I feel like it renews my motivation and being in touch with people who are on the same path is so amazing. Thanks Everyone!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Molly the same thing happened to me this weekend- family reunion and well i think i over-ate... i am now at 213.4. boo. it makes me feel bad about myself-

i did tell myself that once a week i could have a "treat" -being one "unhealthy" meal or a few drinks on the weekend...but this past weekend i combined the two!

I will be back on track and i know i can do this- It is just so hard.

-back on track.