Notices
Like Tree1Likes

rowing machine?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default rowing machine?

I read that a rowing machine was one of the best devices for overall body strengthening. Does anyone use one? Recommendations? Comments welcome. I struggle with the treadmill and hoping to find a substitute that works better for me.
kelvin178 likes this.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 AM
FitDay Member

When I was in college the girls on the crew team were all in fantastic shape, and all I ever saw them do at the gym was the rowing machines. I've never really used one, but just last week I noticed that my gym has a new rowing machine. I haven't tried it yet, but with my bad knees it might be a great option. Of course now with it being summer, you could also just take a row boat out on the water and enjoy the workout that much more....
Old 06-11-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

On my cardio days lately I've been doing 40 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the rowing machine. I really like it, but I wish I knew a way to up the resistance...
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
FitDay Member

Agree to both replies. Hoping to find a good model that can be adjusted. Will start the internet search.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

I love using the row machine at my gym, but frequently just hop downstairs in my basement to use my own elliptical before a leave for work in the morning. Our rower doesn't have an adjustment for increasing resistance, so I just row faster. Kicks my tail! I generally avoid it the day after I lift weights for my upper body just to ensure those muscles receive adequate recovery.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
FitDay Member

Rowing is fantastic.

The C2 (concept 2) rower is hands down the best on the market.

If you have been using one of these altering the resistance comes from moving the little lever on the right hand side of the 'fan' (you will see some embossed numbers) and you can point the 'lever' on a greater or lesser number.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-17-2022 at 04:07 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

I wouldn't worry about over-stressing the upper body muscles by rowing. It's true you use the muscles a little bit but the resistance is generally so low that it's not a big deal. The upshot is when you get those muscles moving it increases blood flow to that area, which could help make recovery faster.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Yes I have been using the Stamina Avari Programmable Magnetic Rower for over 6 months now and it's my top recommendation.

It's inexpensive as compared to some of the top models and comes with all important features like a LCD monitor that displays important data like calories burnt, time etc.

Apart from that the magnetic resistance is easy to adjust and also the rower can be folded thus making it easy to store when not in use.

Also using a rowing machine is easy and it impact the whole body thus better than a treadmill or cycle.

Source:
fitnessguyd.com/best-rowing-machine-reviews

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-10-2017 at 06:31 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

I love the rowing machine as a form of cardio, a good mix-up from the usual treamill/bike. For me, I don't really pay attention to the distance so much as I do to the time and level of output. I could easily sit and reach a certain amount of meters, but the level of effort is what gets you the best results. For example, after a solid workout I'll already be pretty exhausted so I will spend only about 10-15 minutes on the rowing machine. However, I approach it with the HIT viewpoint.

This is a sample of one of the HIT ways I use this machine :
15-20 seconds of high speed/max effort immediately followed by 40-45 seconds of a slower and relaxed speed.

I do that one minute HIT interval for the set number of minutes I need until I'm done. Also, I don't know what type of row machine you use, but on most, the resistance can be pretty high. Especially since you are only going hard for 15-20 seconds, the remaining 40 seconds or so don't feel difficult on a high level, compared to trying that level of resistance for a constant pace at like twenty or thirty minutes.

Here's the list of some rowing machines:.10machines.com/best-rowing-machine

I use Concept Model D and I think it's the best!

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-10-2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Treadmills are not good for your knees anyway! Row machine has to be the best indoor option for cardio is it avoids injuring your body and give you a killer cardio workout as it works your whole body!

Do some interval training with rowing or aim to complete a certain distance in a set time.

For example professionals do 2000 meters in about 6 mins or under. Aim for 8-10 mins 2000 meters!

Hope this helps!
Iosif

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.