Notices

Struggling to Start

Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the wonderful responses. After reading them I walked to the gym (833 steps from my front door) and signed up for a free class tomorrow. Also talked with them about setting up a Fitness For Sailors class and I'm working on getting some sailor friends together for it.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Great Job Alice...very proud of you. I bet you feel pretty good about those 833 steps and the choice you made for yourself. Cheering 80)

You can do it! Keep us posted...this was great news.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
FitDay Member

I went to the free class today, and it was great! Signed up for 2x per week for 12 weeks - their summer term starts next week, so my timing is great for once (except being late so I had to drive instead of walking those 833 steps!). I will be sore tomorrow, but that's a good thing.

The private class I'm trying to arrange for sailors doesn't have to match their schedule of terms, so I have some time to figure that out. People will have more time after summer anyway since most of them work and the sailing/racing we do on the river is mostly in the evenings.

More later. Thanks to you all, I'm on my way.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weight vs. Inches

You guys helped me get started exercising in mid-June, so I wanted to give you an update three months later.

People have been asking how much weight I've lost and saying I look so great, but I've actually been at the upper end of a 4-lb range for a few weeks now (2 lbs above my weight when I started exercising). I've been berating myself because I didn't make my goal of 185 by the end of August. I also had a goal to get my average daily steps up to 5,000 by then and I'm only up to about 3,500 on average. I know I haven't been as careful as I should be about food either so it's time to start paying more attention again.

NOW for the GOOD NEWS: As part of my "new beginning" I measured yesterday, and found that I have LOST INCHES: -1'" off the bust; -1" off the waist, and -1" off the hips!!! I'm not quite comfortable in the next size down in clothes but some of them work, and my jeans get too baggy after one day without washing! I love it. I'm truly amazed - that's with just a 1-hour class twice a week, and I missed probably four classes due to summer beach trips. Oh yeah, and in mid-July I started a 1-day-a-week job in a farm store that puts about 7,500 steps on my pedometer, much of it carrying 20-lb boxes of produce.

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. Now I'm an exercise advocate, but it's still hard to get myself being more active in my regular daily life. I guess there's always something to work on.