Notices

Ughhhhh...jogging *sigh*

Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ughhhhh...jogging *sigh*

Can you tell I'm a little put off by this subject?

So I've been doing really good on the elliptical, going for an hour usually at a fairly moderate rate of exertion (usually sweating like crazy, couldn't hold a conversation if I tried)...so I thought to myself "maybe I should try jogging."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Please.

I jogged for literally 30 feet and thought I was going to DIE. I couldn't breathe, my lungs felt like they were going to explode. My legs felt like they were going to fall off.

So clearly, just because I kick my own ass on the elliptical, does not mean I am fit for jogging. I guess I better keep trying...I WILL be able to jog one of these days! That is my goal for the summer. To not die while jogging
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Really? I've been on my elliptical an hour/day and after about 3 months of that I could run for at least 15-20 minutes, I'm now up to about 45 minutes without stopping (although I do slow down at the end now). Maybe it's your shoes? Did you warm up first? I gotta get a warm up in before I can jog, at least 10 minutes of the stationary bike or the elliptical. You might try the C25K workout.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-08-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Ehh, I think it really has more to do with the fact that I'm slightly asthmatic and I used to smoke...not so great on the lungs, ya know? So now I try to run and it literally burns my throat. I try to breathe "properly" but it doesn't make any difference. My chest gets all tight, my throat starts to burn, and my lungs HURT.

I suck.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

I'm an asthmatic too, but generally I don't suffer with it until I'm done working out, gasp gasp gasp. You can do this you just have to build up some endurance. Okay so today you go 30 feet and tomorrow you go 35-40, and then walk for a while then go another 35-40 feet. That's the basic premise behind the C25K program, walk a minute, run a minute, walk 90 seconds, run 90 second etc, until you can go an hour without needing a defribulator. You also might consider getting an inhaler for the asthma, changed my life yes it did.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

First and foremost, I really just need to get back into the habit of jogging. I used to jog quite a bit (2-3 miles every day or so)...but that was 6 years ago. It has just been so long that I've forgotten how hard it can be.

I am bound and determined, however, to get back into the habit. I am soooo tired of feeling like a big squishy whale, and I want to feel healthy again! So no matter how much it hurts and burns, I am going to make myself re-learn how to jog!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely would recommend C25K...amazing program! (Couch potato to 5K run) Also, I used a trainer a while back and she recommended walking at high inclines say a 10 for about 20 minutes...regularly. It strenthens the legs for running.

Seriously though...I am overweight and the C25K program works if you work it. I am amazed at how quickly the body adapts. I did it for 11 weeks (was at W7D2) I repeated a few weeks and then quit...stupid but not looking backwards. I just started again and found that I am more fit than I was the last time around.

Last edited by tjkhoover; 06-08-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Jenny - it sounds like your body was getting a little bit comfortable on the eliptical. Your endurance and muscle memory have probably reached a plateau on that particular activity. Jogging requires entirely different endurance, muscles, etc. so the "I feel like I'm going to die" moments you're experiencing are just your body's way of adapting to something new. Keep at it! Eventually, those rough moments will pass. You may even see a boost in your weight loss as your body works hard to adjust to what you're putting it through.

In my opinion, doing a variety of exercises is key to keeping your body guessing and keeping you from getting bored. It sounds like you've got a great attitude...just don't give up! =)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

I like to go for a quick jog after my weight training days to work in a little cardio, but I have a tendancy to be a little weak after the squats/lunges and those first few minutes of the jog are the hardest. I just keep pep talking myself, telling myself that I'm doing just fine and it's ok to go a little slow until my body warms up to the movements. Ive read some fitness books (who hasn't right?!) and some were stressing the importance of any exercise, especially if you're really out of shape (not that you are...). Anyway, on the days I feel like I just can't do one more minute, I keep telling myself that long steady exercise is still exercise...I don't have to break world record times.

I do up the intensity whenever I can, but some days it just isn't happening and I try not to beat myself up about it. So do the jogging maybe 5-10 minutes for now and the rest of the time on your machine. Do whatever it takes to work up to more minutes.