Notices

Run Run Run

Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

Question Evil Scale

I will go out and get some measuring tape today. Be a good walk to the store What car? lol

I need more protein in my diet, i'm apparently an all sugar and carb girl. That needs to change! thinking fruit smoothies made here at home, high pulp orange juice, non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt with Frozen whole fruit. Yum! Maybe even consider getting protein powder for it. Any Advice on that?

Today I am feeling a bit slow, My right knee has been real tight since I started working out. Just before I decided to make Big life changes I had a trip over my daughter and landed on my knee, been in pain ever since but powering through it. My knee appears to have A LOT of fat around it. This is very depressing and disgusting. I would like advice on how to focus a lot of energy on my thighs and knees to really do some damage to the fat around my knee.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sadly, inside the knees and thighs are two of the places that fat tends to accumulate on women. You can't spot reduce anything, but to tone the muscles underneath, keep on with your running and/or walking and add in some squats and lunges. Actually, more than some; a lot!

I don't have any experience with protein powder but for protein I swear by Greek yogurt. It has a lot more protein than regular yougurt...check it out. It's all trial and error, by the way .
Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

For a cheap protein boost it doesn't get any better than tuna. Your average can of tuna has 42.6 grams of protein and costs about $.70. Greek yogurt which is very yummy BTW, costs 2-3 times that and has 14-15 grams of protein. I usually buy tuna in water, but tuna in veg oil is only slightly higher in calories. The protein powder I use is called Spiru-Tein, and I buy it at my local health food store. What I like about it is that there are only 96 calories in a serving, but it has 15 grams of protein, I buy the chocolate flavored one and put it in my coffee. Other good sources of protein are: nuts, eggs, milk, chicken, beef etc etc.

By the way, your weight increase could be due to swelling, and if your muscles hurt, guaranteed you have swelling somewhere. It could also be a million other things, like constipation, increased muscle mass, water retention or even just the time of day you weighed yourself. All that hard work takes a little time to show. As for "spot reducing" it's just not possible, but I will say that using the elliptical for the last 5 months has definitely improved my lower half.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

If you had a really hard workout and weighed yourself at the end, you may have been dehydrated. A gallon of water weighs over 8 pounds. Also, I noticed you said "knee" not "knees". If your injured knee is larger than your "good" knee, you might want to have it checked out. If your knee is injured but you keep working out hard, it won't heal properly.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Just don't put the tuna in your fruit smoothie .

Greek yogurt would definitely be better in that regard, and much better than the regular vanilla yogurt you mentioned.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

5.5 lbs a week is way too high of a goal to set for yourself, and to be blunt, I doubt you'd lose that much. The thing with waiting so long before an engagement is that you'll never be satisfied, it's always best to prepare before hand. Start shooting for 2 lbs!

Since you have a gym membership, start hitting the weights 3-4 days a week, and lift as heavy weights as you possibly can. Shoot for 5-8 reps and make sure when you walk out of the gym that you couldn't get anymore reps done.

Whey protein is great post-workout since it's a fast absorbing protein. Try to figure out your body fat % so you can figure out your LBM and start getting the proper amount of protein.

Eat cottage cheese before you go to bed, it'll stop your body from eating away at itself while you're sleeping.

Good luck and stay healthy!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Yes, its just my right knee, I was looking at this morning and it is definitely larger than the other. I can't tell you how many stories I heard about over weight people with Knee issues. I do not have insurance so i can't have it looked at unfortunately.

I will take the advice of doing squats. I feel weird doing them, i just hold my hands down and try to sit with out sitting right?

Like I said before I realize 5 lbs a week is SUPER REDICULOUS, it was just a really optimistic goal and I made is to really motivate my life change. and Also I have said before that Any weight loss at the end of the week is going to be thrilling and worth while!

Greek Yogurt! Got it.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Water on the knee

I'll have to take photos, but I may have water on the knee, all the symptoms sound right and the cause may have been a torn ligament. After I work out though I lack pain or even during unless I am doing high impact work outs like running on pavement which I have decided is far too hard on my joints and shins.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
FitDay Member

I have REALLY bad knees, and have had numerous bouts of "water on the knee". It is usually really pronounced and looks like a golf ball under the skin (or maybe 1/2 a golf ball), when you press on the swelling it visibly moves and you have zero sensation in the skin it's under. It will deflate on it's own, but will maybe take 4-6 weeks while it heals. A torn ligament can feel lots of different ways (depending on the actual ligament), but typically it's a sharp pain in an isolated area. And if you actually have a torn ligament it's best to get it immobilized and stay off it until it heals (otherwise you may end up needing surgery). If you just have pain in the knee and some swelling treat it with ice 2-4 times/day, ibuprophen (Advil or Motrin), and if you tolerate ibuprophen well you can up the dose to 3-4 tablets every 4-6 hours. Ibuprophen is an anti-inflammatory and it will help reduce the swelling and make it feel better, although it doesn't do a thing to heal the problem. Alieve or naproxin sodium is also an anti-inflammatory, but it works longer so that might be a good option for night time, but only if you tolerate it well.

Sorry about the knee honey, I feel your pain - especially this morning.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up You Rock!

Thank you Almeeker, you have no idea how realeiving your message was. knowing that it will go away. I'm not sure what I did to my knee, this isn't my first time having trouble with it. I have crashed it through a glass coffee table (you could fit two golf balls in the hole , buckled it on a trampolene (that was the worst pain i've ever experienced) and yes it looks like there are golf balls on either side of my knee, so ugly! My right knee has been through hell and back. If i could have cosmetic surgery, my legs and knees would be first on the list.

I get lots of relaxation, I will take Some ibuprofen right now and let you know if any swelling goes down. I will also need to go out and get a knee brace and ice packs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.