FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Exercise (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/)
-   -   Exercise without the gym/equipment (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/exercise/1120-exercise-without-gym-equipment.html)

JamesArkham 05-21-2010 09:12 AM

Exercise without the gym/equipment

Hello Peps!

i have started on this site because a teacher in a budget class i am taking recommended it. i'm probably about 10-15 lbs over weight and i am slowly seeing a loss in strength. i think keeping track of the food will help, but what exercises from home will really help me lose the unattractive gut i have obtained and get some of my strength back? how often? thank you so much for your time.

Jim

bsaz 05-22-2010 01:50 AM

I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, and like it a lot. The DVD is about $10, and you need some hand weights (I use a set of 2lb, and a set of 5lb, but you could get started with just the 2lb ones) and a mat, but that is only if you have a hard floor.

It's strength, cardio, and abs, but you don't do any one thing for very long. I think the variety makes it easier for me to stay motivated to do it. There are also 3 levels of difficulty, so you can shake it up. For example, I'm playing tennis later today, so I just did level 1. Usually I alternate levels 2 & 3 because I find 3 really hard, and 2 is starting to get easy.

cjohnson728 05-22-2010 02:53 AM

Hi James,

You might want to check a site called freetrainers.com. You put in your parameters and they give you exercises to do each week; you can check whether you have access to a gym or are just using free weights. I did it for a while, then used it and some other resources to make my own spreadsheet after I was a little more experienced. Make sure to get some cardio in there, too.

Hey bsaz, I'm a tennis player, too ;). I love the way it jacks your heart rate up for a while, then recovers, then back up again...almost like interval training. Do you have cardio tennis where you live? Good luck in your match!

JamesArkham 05-22-2010 04:03 AM

Thanks alot for the advice, i'll check them both out.

RunbikeSki 05-24-2010 10:30 AM

I'm pretty much of an out-of-doors nut. If it ain't outside, it ain't exercize!

Well that isn't entirely true. I do, in fact, do some weight training and yoga inside.

I have read many times, and I will personally testify, that to lose the gut, it really requires cardio activity. You can do all the crunches you want, but as long as you have a nice subcutaneus fat layer, you will never see your abs. The cardio will really help with the over all fat loss, while the weight training will help with the specific toning and muscle building.

And once you make a modest investment in good shoes, or a 2nd hand bicycle, there are few exercises cheaper than walking, biking, or running. Plus you get to tour the neighborhood, checkout the local goings-on and meet and greet as you make your rounds. All of which adds up to having a little fun will you get a little exercise. BONUS!

almeeker 05-24-2010 12:29 PM

Spend a few bucks on some good running shoes and get a pedometer, then run baby run. It's very cheap and very effective.