Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Community
Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

Well I said that I may not have been on it. I wasn't sure. The website that I went to that had example of the meals that you eat were examples of meals that you would eat on the paleo diet. So, I would think that if I were eating those meals then I would be on that diet. I can't seem to find the diet online to know exactly how it goes. This is probably the wrong place to post those questions anyway I should probably be asking a doctor. I don't think it's that simple it may work for some and not others.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sashabound
Well I said that I may not have been on it. I wasn't sure. The website that I went to that had example of the meals that you eat were examples of meals that you would eat on the paleo diet. So, I would think that if I were eating those meals then I would be on that diet. I can't seem to find the diet online to know exactly how it goes. This is probably the wrong place to post those questions anyway I should probably be asking a doctor. I don't think it's that simple it may work for some and not others.
Hi, I would suggest you do some more research and check out more websites. There are a lot of them out there and not all of them agree. A couple sites I like are Mark's Daily Apple and The Paleo Lifestyle. I like them because they are less restrictive in terms of dairy, and even potatoes and other root-type veggies.

I tried Atkins previously, so I know the feeling you are describing and feel the same way when I restrict carbs too severely. I can't function like that, but it hasn't been a problem while I've been eating paleo. I only started about 12 days ago, and have lost 6 pounds (though I expect that to level out at some point). I am including cheese and yogurt, some fruit, some honey, some whey protein for smoothies, and some store bought salad dressings that are not paleo, but that I don't want to waste. When the dressings run out, I will make my own paleo dressings, but I am still easing in to this.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Have you red the book? If you do so then you will know whether you are on it. It works for everyone as everyone is genetically predisposed to be on this type of diet.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

WOW. I did more research on the diet and added the nuts and fruit and I'm doing it differently this time and it's only been a couple of days but I am really liking it and I never like diets..lol. I feel great so far. I'm not hungry and I'm not craving other food right now. I hope it stays this way. I think this is something I could actually stick to for a while. I just hope the scales tell me what I want to hear in a week. Since I don't feel deprived it makes me worry that I won't lose weight but that shouldn't be the case. I am excited!!

Last edited by sashabound; 10-25-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 PM
FitDay Member

I think this is something I could actually stick to for a while. I just hope the scales tell me what I want to hear in a week.
That sums up your major issues. You know you will stick to it for a while then go off and eat other stuff. That won't work. You want progress this week... good luck with that. It takes a while to get fat and it takes a while to get slim. You either knuckle down or just stay lardy. Harsh but true.

Me Sept 1st 2011 194.6lbs, male 6 ft 4. Not bad really but up due to US holiday weight. Today, 9 weeks later 175.2lbs eating as much as I like within the Paleo diet. I have a six pack.

It is up to you the results you get.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Wow some people just come on this page and nit pick at little details in what you say instead of looking at the main point of your post don't they?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA
I only started about 12 days ago, and have lost 6 pounds (though I expect that to level out at some point).
I have been having that feeling for 2 months now but I just keep getting leaner and lighter on the Paleo lifestyle and I never count calories. It is like a revelation. On top of that I am more active mentally and just feel full of life.

Here is my 2011 graph. Up and down through the year, then away in the US on a roadtrip then Paleo from beginning of September.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

The Paleo/primal approach to eating is anexcellent, common sense way of staying healthy, improving your health and losing the fat. It's probably been mentioned already, but it's a lifestyle rather than 'a diet'. I don't get these folk who 'go on a diet'. It's a lifestyle change they need to make, something which they can continue for the rest of their days.

I combine this approach to eating with intense, brief and infrequent weights and cardio workouts and plenty of walking. Works a treat in keeping me in shape and it's very sustainable.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
To be truly Paleo wouldn't you need to eat game as your meat source and wild-harvest your fruits and vegetables (eat cattails instead of potatoes, for example).
The goal is health improvement, not re-enactment. I eat primally because I feel more energized and stronger when I'm on it. I'm eating the best I can with the food that's available to me. If that means grass-fed beef from the supermarket, organic fruits and vegetables, and occasional full-fat dairy then I'm doing a pretty good job. Add to that a few trips per year to a pick-your-own farm and now I'm getting involved in my own food sourcing. Not bad!

Also keep in mind that there is no one "paleo" diet. It's preposterous to think that our globally distributed ancestors all ate the same stuff. The keys are no processed foods, highly limited grains or none (try plucking wheat off a stalk and see how much you can eat, even modestly prepared), and minimal added sugar. Then you still have free reign to experiment with high/low carb, high/low fat, high/low protein, according to what your body thrives on. Don't be afraid to self-experiment. By the time the nutritional authorities come around to validating the success people have had with this approach, we'll all have passed on.

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 11-30-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

WOW. I did more research on the diet and added the nuts and fruit and I'm doing it differently this time and it's only been a couple of days but I am really liking it and I never like diets..lol. I feel great so far. I'm not hungry and I'm not craving other food right now. I hope it stays this way. I think this is something I could actually stick to for a while. I just hope the scales tell me what I want to hear in a week. Since I don't feel deprived it makes me worry that I won't lose weight but that shouldn't be the case. I am excited!!
Sasha, please read my above post. The paleo plan is a framework, not a prescriptive diet. There's nothing to feel bad about experimenting within the framework. Some people get dogmatic about a particular program because it worked for them. Ancestrally speaking, my Indian ancestors likely ate a very different natural diet than, say, Nordic European ancestors. Ultimately, it's about finding what works for you. The paleo framework is simply, in my opinion, the best place to start.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.