Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM
FitDay Member

Would love to hear how you are getting on now that you have the book.
I'm following a stricter version of Paleo, doing Whole30 the basics of which are available on their website. It's a great challenge esp knowing you are only doing it for 30 days, the only thing I find difficult is breakfast (not keen on eggs) but I find I've lost the bad carb cravings I had (bread, chips) and eat a lot less to feel satisfied and now don't experience the mid afternoon energy dip, plus the weight is melting rapidly (I 'cheat' and weigh myself everyday even though you're not meant to).
Hope it's going well for you.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by simplicitybythesea
Hi!

i'm new on Fit day. I found the book Primal Blueprint linked on Weston Price so I started reading the www Marks daily apple. alot of the information makes sense to me, since i feel really bloated if i eat grains. I tried soaking the flour as they said on Weston Price and Nourishing traditions by sally fallon. but i felt better then before but still bloated little.

i order the book but it hasnt come yet. i have alot of questions. can anyone answer them?

i'm a 5'4 woman 233lbs out of shape and never been skinny in my life. can this diet work for me?

do you have to cut out these things for all the life? or can you add some back in after you lose the weight?

if i cut m carbs down to 100g a day is this enough to lose weigh? i tried going to what atkins said 20g i couldn't do it, even taking out bread and pasta.

if i occasionally have some mashed potatoes or a slice of bread, let's weekly or every 2 weeks will this make it hard to lose weight? reverse all i did the week before?

i really want to try this lifestyle out but i know myself i can't do it cold turkey. i tried with all my might, i abstained then one day i failed and binged eating a whole pan of brownies.

i changed my habits from eating out alot fast food to now trying to learn to cook at home. i eat salad at lunch and dinner. i thought not eatin fast food but follwing clean eating diet would be enough. but in 6months i only lost 10lbs. i need help!
Simplicity....The tone of your email is frustration and I totally hear you! The advice I would give you is to quit obsessing about every detail. I'm getting started primally and just realizing how much of my food life revolves around wheat products and carbs. After hours of reading and figuring the best approach (because I'm not good at the cold-turkey approach), I have decided to attack one thing at a time.
Instead of removing a bunch of stuff from my diet (which is already fairly healthy but...) I am adding tons of vegetables at every opportunity. VARIETY is the key. If you eat nothing but salad you are going to go crazy. Mix it up. My thought is that by adding and substituting more than deprivation, my consumption of the bad stuff will automatically decline! So far, it's working!
The philosophy of this is more about training your body and metabolism to work differently. That means using fat for fuel instead of that 'easy to access' glycogen. That way you don't have to worry about just dieting for awhile and then going back to your old, wicked ways. If and when you do, your body will let you know it isn't happy. You need to see some progress and positive changes and then you will be fired up to keep it up.
As far as I'm concerned, if you limit your portions, eat more frequently and start moving in vegetables and moving out some of the bad stuff you are on the right track!
I wish you all the best and can't wait to hear about your first successes!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

I started paleo 4 weeks ago and am having great results. I'm finding it very easy to adopt eating less than 30 grams of carbs per day but the first week carb cravings were intense. I just kept telling myself they would pass and by the second week, they faded rather quickly. Now I'm not feeling deprived at all and have lost 20 lbs and a dress size. I'm feeling more energetic and confident that I have finally found a lifestyle that will work for me.

For exercise right now I'm just walking and increasing the distance each week. Its enough of a challenge for a reformed couch potato I know that if I try to do too much at once, I will give up on everything.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

I've been on/off Atkins for the last 3 years and since January went Paleo. Started listening to Robb Wolf's podcast and read "Paleo Solution," Art DeVany's "New Evolution Diet" and in the middle of Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint." They all agree on the main points. Eat plants and animals, move naturally and you're golden. That's an oversimplification but it's what I try to do.

I use predominantly coconut oil for cooking. Saturated fat has a higher smoke point and thus it's more stable to cook with. I use olive oil raw as salad dressing. I actually don't use bacon drippings as much as I'd like because it's a little higher in omega 6's. Same with chicken/duck fat. I'm trying to balance out my omega 3/6 ratio by eating salmon (usually canned) or sardines every day.

I also found that cow's milk and most dairy gives my skin issues. I used to have bad acne on my jaw line and back as well as serious dandruff and it's cleared up. It returns if I go on a bender with pizza or something. So I stay away from most dairy. I'm gonna try goat cheese and feta to see if that has the same effect.

I try to get outside when I exercise. It's summer so I use it as an excuse to tan. I do a lot of light walking and biking. Occasionally I'll sprint through the park near my house. And twice a week I do 35 lb. kettle bell swings with some other body weight exercises thrown in.

At my highest I was 215 lbs. at 5' 1" tall. I'm now 150 lbs. with about 30 more to lose. Also, if you're concerned about all the fat (especially saturated animal fat) I had some blood work done recently after being on the diet for a while.
LDL 100
HDL 47
Trig 55
High fat / low carb is the only way I should be eating and Paleo is the healthiest diet I've ever been on. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default I'm so happy to have found you all!

I have been primal since December 26, 2010 on my doctor's advice. I was 100% compliant and got frustrated with no weight loss. I am now drinking beer on the weekends and adding more and more dark chocolate. I am not gaining weight, but as expected, I am still not losing.
I finally broke down and gave up caffeine to see if my adrenals are a wreck, which I suspect they are and I am finally sleeping at night (4 nights in a row is huge for me!) Today is day 11 without caffeine and I am TIRED AND HUNGRY.
Here are today's stats- any help is more than appreciated!!

Calories
Fat
68%
Saturated
42%
Polyunsaturated
4%
Monounsaturated
16%
Carbohydrate
12%
Dietary Fiber
Protein
20%
Alcohol
0%
Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm in the UK where Paleo hasn't caught on so well as over the pond, so there;'s less support. However your websites - Paleosolutions by Robb Wolf, Marks Daily apple and Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet are so good, thanks for the electronic age! I follow an 'Approach to Paleo', and 80/20 regime which Loren Cordain advocates. It allows for 'holidays' when it may be impossible to eat a truly Paleo/Primal diet. I'm a lazy keep fitter, but do 'Swim 'n' gym' every week alternating according to my mood. I'm 60, 180 cms tall and have kept my weight at 75 Kgs now for 5 years following the above regime. It works, but you do have to make some lifestyle choices - the hardest of which, for many, is forgoing bread and pasta, but the results are worth it! Happy hunter gathering!

Last edited by PJT13; 07-26-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by simplicitybythesea
Hi!

i'm new on Fit day. I found the book Primal Blueprint linked on Weston Price so I started reading the www Marks daily apple. alot of the information makes sense to me, since i feel really bloated if i eat grains. I tried soaking the flour as they said on Weston Price and Nourishing traditions by sally fallon. but i felt better then before but still bloated little.

i order the book but it hasnt come yet. i have alot of questions. can anyone answer them?

i'm a 5'4 woman 233lbs out of shape and never been skinny in my life. can this diet work for me?

do you have to cut out these things for all the life? or can you add some back in after you lose the weight?

if i cut m carbs down to 100g a day is this enough to lose weigh? i tried going to what atkins said 20g i couldn't do it, even taking out bread and pasta.

if i occasionally have some mashed potatoes or a slice of bread, let's weekly or every 2 weeks will this make it hard to lose weight? reverse all i did the week before?

i really want to try this lifestyle out but i know myself i can't do it cold turkey. i tried with all my might, i abstained then one day i failed and binged eating a whole pan of brownies.

i changed my habits from eating out alot fast food to now trying to learn to cook at home. i eat salad at lunch and dinner. i thought not eatin fast food but follwing clean eating diet would be enough. but in 6months i only lost 10lbs. i need help!
Hi Simplicity, Go girl! Get with the lifestyle thing and you won't go wrong. Paleo/Primal isn't just a diet, it's a whole new way of thinking about food and what our bodies need. Have a look at my previous post for information. I recommend all those websites and their associated books. Once you get into the frame of mind of being a 'cave woman', thinking, now what's available for me to eat from thie 'garden of Eden' bearing in mind that bread and pasta didn't exist and that cows weren't domesticated either, then you start to realise that what's available is meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts and berries. Then you start getting creative about how to use them. My biggest difficulty was breakfast, but my solution was simplicity (no pun inrtended) itself - two boiled eggs, a handful of Blueberries and maybe a tomato. Sometimes I'll have a chicken breast left over from the night before. Easy, when you think about it. Good luck!

Last edited by PJT13; 07-26-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typos!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Huskyemma
thanks lee.. i am feeling better already, looking to order some grass fed beef from the internet and fill the freezer as i can't get it local.. i live in the uk. i have been logging all my foods, even the smallest thing. no potatoes, bread, pasta, beans, or any non paleo foods (apart from my one open meal that had rice with it) for a whole week now.. i feel fantastic. my body tells me when i'm full and i don't get those horrible crashes from sugar any more.. not grazing ALL day either.. and another thing is that i have been eating a lot but have had a 1000 calorie defecit everyday!! and ALL my RDA's are above ''normal''.. can't believe i didn't find this plan sooner...
Hi Emma, I'm in the UK also and most meat in the UK IS grass fed whereas in the USA it's grain, so don't go overboard on the internet! Loren Cordain's book and website, as well as Marks Daily Apple are really good too.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I have been doing Primal since nov 2010 and really like it. It is a progression from Atkins that I was doing for several years. I eat, no grains, legumes, corns or nightshades. I really like this lifestyle. I have not done crossfit yet.

I really love this site. It is really keeping my calorie count and activities where they need to be to lean out. I am 176 lb woman hoping to get to 170.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
FitDay Member

Hi,

Check the web dietdoctor, the new wave in Sweden, you will not eat bread as all cravings will be gone
Good luck
CrystalFee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.