Notices

Optifast - giving it a try

Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

Default Optifast - giving it a try

I'm so tired of being fat. It seems I hit 50 and the weight really started to pile on so I met with my Dr and told him I needed help. Years ago I did well on WW but I feel right now I need restriction and a very tight plan to jump start my weight loss.. then I'll work in healthy foods down the road.

My Dr. encouraged me to try Optifast so I'm going to give it a go. I actually begin next Wednesday with my first weigh-in and receive all my products. I went to an introductory meeting last week and they gave me samples of each choice I can have (shakes, bars, soup) so I'll know what to order for my first week.

I'll be on the program for 16 weeks. Each day I get 3 Optifast products (shakes, bars, soup) and 2 snacks and 1 meal. No more than 1250 calories per day. I'm excited to give this a go and my Dr is very encouraging.

I love FitDay and have been using it off and on for the past 3 years. I will track my foods on here to be sure I stay in line and will post my weight loss successes.

Over this past week I've cut down on my food and used some of the sample products to semi begin the program. Just doing that I already lost 2 lbs. I'm going to list my starting weight today where my weight is now (after the 2lb loss). I bet when I get weighed in at my weekly Optifast meeting their scales will weigh me differently so I will change my SW to what ever they show then track weekly by their scales. My first GW will be when the 16 weeks are up. Thats when I hope to reach 210 (just under 3 lbs/week). Once I hit that I'll set another GW as I incorporate more food.

I'm nervous and excited!

Female 5'7"
SW: 259.2 BMI 40.6 8/4/12
GW: 210.0 BMI 35.0 12/4/12
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default Optifast - giving it a try

Oh Geez... I typed a long update and Fitday didn't take my reply and lost it so now I'm starting over .. much more rushed so I'm not late for work.

I will be "officially" beginning the Optifast program through Kaiser this Wednesday. In prepping for it I've cut down my food intake and have begun using the sample Optifast products they gave me so I could determine what I like to make ordering easier. I've thrown out the bad food in my cupboards (chips, cookies, cake mixes, salty crackers, etc) and replaced them with healthier choices.

I'm on the Low Calorie Optifast (not the Very Low Calorie which is all products and max 800 calories / day). I get 1200 calories a day and one real meal which is low fat and max 300 calories (I save that for dinner) plus 3 Optifast servings. Plus I need to drink at least 1/2 gal of water a day (no biggie - I'm a water drinker).

So far, just by cutting back my food intake, making healthier choices, drinking my water, using 2 Optifast products per day I've lost 3.4 lbs in two days. I'm pleased. I know it's probably water weight but I'll take it.

I'll post again after my official weigh in and first meeting with Kaiser.

Female 5'7"
SW: 259.2 BMI 40.60 8/4/12
CW: 255.8 BMI 40.06 8/6/12

WL: 3.4 lbs
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck! From what I've seen on their website, the Optifast plan offers you lots of support. You can do it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

You can do it LizBurch, I know how u are feeling. I too am sick and tired of being overweight and started a supervised weight loss journey today...Let's kick butt!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Kathy and krms for your support!

Last night was my first official meeting and weigh in with the Optifast program through Kaiser. I'm going to update my numbers with Kaiser's weigh in weight and begin from there. I noticed I weigh differently on the various scales (with significant differences). My doctor's office, my home scale, and now at Kaiser's meeting last night weigh me with at least a 5 lb weight difference... frustrating.. but I guess if I stick to one I'll be able to accurately track my weight loss.

There are about 10 members in my group, all at various stages of the program. Before the meeting actually begins everyone gets weighed in privately then waits in the waiting room. When that's all done we convene for the group meeting. There are topics each meeting and I received a weight loss / healthy eating bound book that the group just began reading last week. We also receive a handout each week which they ask we keep in a notebook for reference. Last night all, except the newbies, talked about what worked for them to help them stay on the plan. It was very helpful. The support is nice and reminds you it can be done.

At the end of the meeting I received a bag of my food for the week plus a gift of a shaker and a pedometer. Let the fun begin! lol

Starting today I will be having 3 Optifast meal replacements (shakes or bars) and then a regular dinner with no more than 300 calories. I find that I'm most hungry as my day winds down so my plan is to have:
Breakfast- a Shake
Morning snack - carrots and a 1/2 apple
Lunch - Shake
Afternoon Snack - 1/2 apple + carrots
When I get home from work - a Choc Peanut Butter Bar
Dinner - 300 cal dinner (protein + vegies).

I'll see how that works for today.

I will keep posting in here and share how it's going.

Female 5'7"
SW: 262.1 BMI 41.0 8/8/12
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Keep up with the posts to let us know your progress...Today is day 4 of my medically supervised diet. I'm very motivated. It really helps to see posts by other people struggling to take weight off. Keep up the great work everyone!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

krm.. what medically supervised diet are you on?

Female 5'7"
SW: 262.1 BMI 41.0 8/8/12
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
FitDay Member

This evening I had my weigh-in and meeting after my first full week on the Optifast program.
My first week wasn't that bad. The shakes and bars are good and I feel full.

My meal plan for the day is generally;

Bfast: Optifast Vanilla Shake
Snack: 2.5 oz of Tuna, 1/2 Apple (sprinkled with cinnamon)
Lunch: Optifast Chocolate Shake
Snack: 2.5 oz of Tuna, 1/2 Apple (sprinkled with cinnamon)
Dinner: Regular low fat home cooked dinner under 1200 calories
Snack: Optifast Bar
Plus: 64 oz of water throughout the day

On the program they want you to eat something every 3-4 hours so you don't ever feel hungry. And you must have 3 Optifast products so you get all your nutrients. I have to say it works for me. I haven't felt hungry yet which is a blessing.

My weight loss for my first week was 5.4 lbs. Yay!

Lost this week: 5.4 lbs
Total weight loss: 5.4lbs
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I am going to a Dr. Powell he is a weight loss physician. For the first two weeks I have a pre-packaged meal every 2-3 hours. They are either bars, shakes, or soups. They are pretty good! Last Friday was my first weigh-in and I lost 4 pounds, yeah me!! This Friday I will weigh-in again, so wish me luck! After my first two weeks then I will add in my own dinner (a low calorie meal for dinner with veggies). Our programs sound around the same. I finally feel like I'm in control and my tummy is feeling soo much better at night before bed. And I'm not saying to myself, " I going to do something about my weight on Monday!" I'm already doing something, yeah!!!!
Great job on your weight loss...Keep it up!!! Doesn't it feel great to wake up in the morning and be in control of our health!!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

krms - your program does sound very similar to mine. Congrats on the weight loss! It feels so good when something works.

Keep up the good work! Keep posting how you are doing.. .I'd love to hear about your successes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.