Notices

Porridge Diet

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
FitDay Member

Post Porridge Diet

I call this the porridge diet because 2 meals are replaced with porridge. Oats are very filling and are good for you so you get great benefits from the meals also you can make them savoury or sweet the choice is yours just chop up some fruit and sprinkle on top or drizzle a bit of natural honey on it for sweet or salt it for more savoury (I personally prefer sweet).

In this diet you have:
2 main meals as porridge (oats) sweet or savoury
A nutritious main meal with dessert (dessert optional depending on cal intake)
3 snacks of fruit or veg spaced throughout day

pure juice is preferred over other drinks
water

if you have a sweet tooth or crave chocolate - keep a bar of chocolate in the fridge broken up into squares. If you get a craving allow yourself one square. Since the chocolate will be hard from being in the fridge, it will last longer and you won't have the guilt from eating it.

no foods are off limit and calories you consume will depend on what weight you want to reach. As long as you ensure your 3rd main meal has all the nutrients you need (from being well balanced) you will not need to use supplements or anything else as part of the diet.

also since porridge is low in fat and calories when made with water you can even afford a small dessert provided it is within your calorie count.

Try to stay clear of processed foods as much as possible as they make you hungrier quicker.

I have done this diet many times and always with great results. Also as wheat tends to be too harsh for my system oats tend to fair much better.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting.

Last night I was really hungry and had didn't have any fresh fruit around and already had oats for breakfast. So I snacked on some grits. Yum!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I can see how oats would work--I have Irish oats once or twice a week for lunch, usually mixed with half a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Quite filling and a nice hit of protein and fiber for 225 calories.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Tks for posting! I may try it this upcoming week! I love porridge and have it most days for breakfast - I usually stir in one egg for added protein benefit. I also use cinnamon, apples or 1 tbs of Nutella depending on what I feel like!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM
FitDay Member

How much calories do you consume with this diet?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default Porridge diet : Day 1

Hi !

Starting the Porridge Diet today .............. going to give it a go for 4 weeks in the run up to Christmas. Will post daily progress !

emt

STARTING WEIGHT : 144.5 lbs - 22nd November 2012
CURRENT WEIGHT : 144.5 lbs - 22nd November 2012
4 WEEK GOAL : 133 lbs

Last edited by emt1972; 11-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Yey

I was thinking, maybe for me to lose weight, I should try eating porridge everyday, for two meals a day, and start going to the gym a little more. So I googled it and I found this.... Great advice!

I'm sixteen, male, and currently my pants waste size is a 32. I weight around 13 stone, and I'm about 5ft9 and o cant tell at the moment that i am going to have a growth spurt asmim having growing pains (cant wait for that haha) I want to get it down to around a 28 around 12 stone too, and add a little more muscle. So I'm going to start eating this, twice a day like you recomended. I've just started to get into fashion now, skinny jeans.... Spiking my hair up and dyeing it etc. and I though to myself, I really would love to lose some weight, to perfect my look. If I lose weight, then I will be really comfortable and like everything with my body. So it really motivated me, and this thread has just tipped my motivation over the edge, and now I'm really motivated! So thank you for the great advice, I'm going to try this starting from tomorrow and start going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, hopefully I will have lost enough weight for Christmas, so my family who will visit from down south will see how much I've changed.... Thank you really really much, this is going to be a diet apt hat I enjoy as I love porridge.... I can't believe I haven't thought of this before..........Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!xx