Notices

Atkins

Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default Splenda vs Great Value Brand

So Splenda box says their is a minute amount of carbs in each packet. I have 5 per day which registers at something like 5.4 carbs total. However my Great Value brand of Splenda states 0 carbs. I understand the concept that some products reflect a 0 carb count, when in reality it could really have a carb count of <1. Those of you who use the Great Value Brand what do you log as carbs? What does everyone recommend I log, when using the Great Value brand? I have googled the nutrition facts and it tells me the same as on the box.

Many thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
FitDay Member

Smile do the obvious... Atkins

I am doing Atkins and it works... atleast the original version does... last night I had ribs and lost 3 lbs by this morning...

If you think about it there are several factors that have caused weight gain.. of course inactivity and most of that started with the Automobile..... and we ate meat daily as we did not always have veggies... we would slaughter a chicken or a hog... veggies were seasonal... mid summer til the first frost...

Weight was not a problem... where did we get our carbs? Veggies, fruit and bread which was a staple in most homes...

Atkins works for me!! Not the new one... and the Atkins suppliments are not good...

My best to you alll..... Love you
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by radiantrainbow
I am doing Atkins and it works... atleast the original version does... last night I had ribs and lost 3 lbs by this morning...

If you think about it there are several factors that have caused weight gain.. of course inactivity and most of that started with the Automobile..... and we ate meat daily as we did not always have veggies... we would slaughter a chicken or a hog... veggies were seasonal... mid summer til the first frost...

Weight was not a problem... where did we get our carbs? Veggies, fruit and bread which was a staple in most homes...

Atkins works for me!! Not the new one... and the Atkins suppliments are not good...

My best to you alll..... Love you
I'm new to Atkins (low carb) Been doing it for 2 weeks now and have lost about 8 pounds. Could you explain to me the difference between the "original" Atkins and the "new" Atkins?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LRoh
I'm new to Atkins (low carb) Been doing it for 2 weeks now and have lost about 8 pounds. Could you explain to me the difference between the "original" Atkins and the "new" Atkins?
The 'original' 1972 Atkins Diet Revolution did not allow any vegetables (except onions) or dairy in the induction phase.
KetoStix & multivitamins was/were required. (a supply of breath-mints didn't hurt)

You start @ zero gram of carbs/day, unlimited eggs, meat, fats, & butter. Snacking was pork rinds & nitrate free jerky.
After the first week, you move up 5 grams of carbs /day each week, allowed snacking was cashews, walnuts plus the pork rinds/jerky.
Keep adding carbs (cooked leafy greens) 5 grams/day each wk until you drop out of ketosis, then dial it back into weight loss territory. That was the conclusion of 'induction'.

Once you'd re-established yourself back in ketosis and losing weight, you could add salads (oil & vinegar only) and then cheese, as long as you kept losing weight. This was 'On-going weight loss'.

Sometime around 1992, Dr. Atkins discovered many of his patients were 'cheating', yet still losing weight at the same rate as 'non-cheaters'. These dieters admitted that they had steamed broccoli, spinach, avocados, cheese, sour cream, etc. ...
So the doctor revamped the induction phase to allow these foods, and raised the initial carb limit to 20 gram/day to accommodate 'em.
Since starting @ 0g/day was silly and generally turned people off from the git-go; -- and since just about everybody would hit ketosis within a couple of days anyhow, might as well get rid of 0gm/day initial week and start off at a more acceptable 20g/day.

By 2002, after Dr. Atkins had the basics tweaked & refined enough to appeal to the general public, he released his Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution, 2002 version.
This book broke the diet into 4 phases: Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre- Maintenance, and Lifetime Maintenance.
KetoStix became optional. Carb counting changed by allowing you to deduct dietary fiber from veggies, if you wished.
It also marked the introduction of Atkins Nutritionals, a line of Atkins approved commercial crap such as Advantage Bars, Advantage Shakes, Advantage Meals, Advantage This, Advantage That, blah, blah, bleah.

Since then, the main changes to the diet are the nod to PC tom-foolery such as 'watch your saturated fats', and eat more fish instead of beef, or pork, or whatever 'death-on-a-plate' meat is bothering the Center for Science in the Public Interest at the moment ...

HTH
YW

Last edited by dread77706; 03-20-2013 at 04:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you.

That was very interesting. I was wondering how different the first Atkin's diet was compared to today's version.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

I started about 2 months ago and have lost 18 pounds so far! It's definitely the easiest diet to maintain. I really don't miss bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. AT ALL. I do have quite a sweet tooth though so I do have a tiny problem cutting the chocolate. If I can't stand it anymore, I usually just throw a little splenda into some cream and eat that for my treat Anyway 15 pounds to my goal weight!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default carbalose /carbquick flour

has anyone on adkins tried this product?
if so how is your weight loss doing?
supposedly has only 2 net carbs for 1/3 cup
I tried it for pancakes this am it is almost too good to be true
so I wanted to check I am still in ketosis and the recipe made 6 nice pancakes
recipe
1/3 cp carbquick
1/4 cp flax meal
2 TBSp van whey protein
1 egg
1Tbsp oil
water or cream to make a pourable batter
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
FitDay Member

Angry

I did Atkins a few years back.. you lose weight pretty quickly, but i gained most of the weight back after I stopped doing it.

A trainer friend told me that the "carb" in my body are bounded by water molecules, so the quick weight loss was kind of from a bunch of water weight. Anybody else had the same experience?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by michelle8447
I did Atkins a few years back.. you lose weight pretty quickly, but i gained most of the weight back after I stopped doing it.
Once you hit your target weight, and find your carbohydrate threshold; any carbs you consume beyond that point will put on the pounds.

I'll repeat this for the slow readers:
You don't 'stop' Atkins.
Atkins is a lifetime diet.
You will eat like this until you die.

A trainer friend told me that the "carb" in my body are bounded by water molecules, so the quick weight loss was kind of from a bunch of water weight.
Uhm, there's a reason it's called a carbo -hydrate.

One molecule of glucose will bind to eight molecules of H2O, those eight molecules of water are released/recycled when the glucose is stored as glycogen & lipids in your adipose tissue (body fat) cells.
When your body needs energy, the liver draws on the glycogen in your cells first (because it is metabolically 'cheap'), converts the glycogen back to glucose (with the eight molecules of water), which is then converted into ATP & pyruvate for the Krebs cycle.
The eight molecules of water are released for another round of the glycogen -> glucose -> pyruvate process.

That's why you are supposed to drink a minimum of 64oz of water/day as your liver draws down the glycogen to guard against de -hydration.
If you don't need that much water, no biggie. Your kidneys & bladder know how to take care of it.
Too much water is fine, too little water is bad news.
Anybody else had the same experience?
Everybody that switches from a carb-based metabolism to a lipid (fat) based metabolism has that experience. It's the nature of the beast.
Atkins just gets you into a lipid-based metabolism (arguably) faster than most, so it's more noticeable.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Low carb!

So this is my first post on like any message board ever so let me know if I do it wrong lol

So I've been doing low carb for roughly two months now and am down 22lbs. since my start. I love it! And I've been reading some of these posts about people getting off of Atkins and blah blah blah... I'm wondering: why would people get off of it? I mean, I was addicted to bread. Like, wake up and the first thing I would want is two pieces of wonderful toasted Dave's bread with a ton of butter. FIRST THING. After about three days, I wasn't craving bread daily and now that I've been doing it for about two months, I only even kind of want bread if I go out to Red Lobster or Olive Garden (but now instead of eating 12 bread sticks or 10 garlic biscuits, I have one). I was controlled by my cravings and it was no way to live. I love my life and way of eating now. Why would anyone give that up?!

Also, now that I don't eat that crap anymore, if I do, it actually makes me sick. It's like my stomach says, "Come on, Stacy, pull your head out of your ass." lol it's a really good accountability tool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.