FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/457-atkins.html)

ibrich 03-22-2010 02:12 PM

I lost over 60 lbs eating low carb. I mostly did a modified Atkins diet, but taylored it to my lifestyle. That and walking. I got away from both around Christmas, but am now getting back to it. It is mostly a matter of being aware of what you eat and making good, healthy choices. So many of the carbs we eat are empty and useless. Once you get used to not eating carbs, it isn't hard at all. And if you get hungry, you can always gnosh out on boiled eggs. I usually a low sugar yogart for breakfast and meat and salad for lunch and supper. If I get to needing a snack I try to eat fruit, but occasionally eat sugar-free jello and whipped topping.

Hickonthehill 03-22-2010 11:41 PM

HI All, I'm on a sort of Atkins-type diet - well low carbs anyway, and have been doing really well - lost 20lbs since November. The think which is killing me is being hungry! I work in an office so get temptation to snack a lot -there area always cakes and sweets around, which I am managing to avoid. I eat 3 apples during my working day as they are the easiest thing to pack and keep fresh, but they really don't satisfy my munchies! Does anyone have anything which is easy to prepare, keep fresh, and will keep me full between meals. Unfortunately I'm not big on raw veggies!:(

Lizzycritter 03-23-2010 01:18 AM

I need protein to feel full, an apple alone wouldn't do it for me either. My snacks are usually a fruit plus a protein. Low fat string cheese is easy to pack, it comes in single serving sizes, and some don't need to be refrigerated. Nuts are good but high in fat. Hard boiled eggs are good too, you can eat just the white and discard the yolk.

angabre 03-24-2010 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by DeathArrow (Post 6412)
I have a question. How can you guys survive on so FEW carbs??? :eek:
Seriously, I thought the Atkins diet was not a good diet because once you get off it, you gain it all back (at least what I have heard) and...it's not healthy because your body isn't meant to live off so few carbs (again, what I have heard).
So how can you guys say you actually like it? What exactly are you guys eating? Lol
I want to lose about 20-30 pounds, and I've been going slowly after my own just-eating-healthy diet...and this Atkins diet seems way too much of a quick fix, and to make it worse, it seems like you guys are saying it's EASY. Too good to be true guys, Hahaha, so just tell me..what are you guys eating? How long do you plan to do it? Is it really a healthy approach to weight loss?
Even so, I still wouldn't do it because that would involve telling my dad to buy Atkins stuff and he's just gonna be like "why why why"

Atkins is not what most people think it is. I eat alot and I'm full. Phase 1 restricts you to only certain vegtables. But these are low carb veggies so you are actually eating alot of them! You can have unlimited meats (within reason) but there isn't much room for alot once you've ate a plate full of veggies. That is only phase one. Phase 2 you gradually add back more veggies, nuts, fruits and more. And slowly up your carbs. The idea is that everyone has a different threshold for carbs so you keep adding until your weight loss stops or slows.
It isn't a quick fix. It is intended to be a way of eating for the rest of your life. But the phase 1 of only 20 carbs is not he way you will be eating from now on. That is only for 2 or so weeks.
You don't need the products. lots of people don't use them at all. And there are lessons on the site that pretty much tell you how to do it.

dejamama 03-25-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by angabre (Post 6658)
atkins is not what most people think it is. I eat alot and i'm full. Phase 1 restricts you to only certain vegtables. But these are low carb veggies so you are actually eating alot of them! You can have unlimited meats (within reason) but there isn't much room for alot once you've ate a plate full of veggies. That is only phase one. Phase 2 you gradually add back more veggies, nuts, fruits and more. And slowly up your carbs. The idea is that everyone has a different threshold for carbs so you keep adding until your weight loss stops or slows.
It isn't a quick fix. It is intended to be a way of eating for the rest of your life. But the phase 1 of only 20 carbs is not he way you will be eating from now on. That is only for 2 or so weeks.
You don't need the products. Lots of people don't use them at all. And there are lessons on the site that pretty much tell you how to do it.

for those who need help go to lowcarbfriends .com it helps me also try bellalowcarb

SerenityCat 03-29-2010 08:17 AM

I also prefer the older method of the Atkins diet as it works better for my lifestyle. Some will tell you that you absolutely, MUST do it the new way or it won't work. Bull.

One example of a difference between old school Atkins and new Atkins: The old way you weren't allowed any coffee for Induction, now, apparently, you can have coffee.

Just do the one that works for you and don't worry about anyone who may be so militant about the whole thing.

The first two weeks you want to stay under 20 grams of carbs a day...(or longer if you want to stay on Induction longer), but you will not eat this way the rest of your life. You will gradually add some carbs back in to your life; it's just not realistic to eat under the Induction plan forever. Basically you're trying to get your body in to Ketosis, which changes the way it handles the blood sugar and what not. I'm not going to get in to it all here and be technical, just get the book; whatever version you want.

Also, there has been a major misconception about the Atkins Diet since the beginning. Never, anywhere, did Atkins say you could eat a pound of bacon a day. That was never, ever, EVER said.

What you want to do is eat low carb veggies, eggs, meat, cheese to get your minimal carbs, fat and protein. You also want to take a vitamin and some Omega-3 capsules. The weight will fly off but do not look at it as a quick fix and then you go back to how you ate before, you want to establish a lifestyle of eating way less carbs than you normally do. Just look at the amount of carbs in ONE serving of pop, (soda), or fruit juices. You can have all your carbs for the day with just one of those.

You want to be cutting out bread, pasta, sugar, rice, fruits, (for Induction at least), starches, (no potatoes and corn on Induction for sure)...pretty much any processed foods and start to eat whole foods that you prepare yourself.

The reason it works so well and is so popular is because you see results almost immediately and that gives people the incentive to continue rather than waiting 6-8 weeks to see any difference.

But you need to know what you are doing before you do it. And frankly, I'm not as militant as many Atkins dieters in that I think you should use whatever book you want and follow it so that you will succeed.

If doing Induction for 3 weeks or 4 weeks works, do that. If you go a little over 20 carbs a day, don't worry. If you are less than 20 carbs a day, don't worry. Just read the book so that you know what you're doing and don't listen to the articles that tell you it's all about eating a pound of bacon and that it doesn't work. It DOES work for most people.

rebeccalatham 03-29-2010 12:00 PM

My name is Rebecca Latham and I have been doing Atkins since March 15, 2009.

rebeccalatham 03-29-2010 12:03 PM

Have you ever considered doing the actual Atkins Diet? I do and I am never hungry and I've lost weight. My profile is in the new book "The New Atkins for a New You". Do you mind if I ask what your reason is for modifying it?

joyfulpsalm 03-30-2010 01:40 PM

Hi Rebecca I just figured out how to use this fit day. I have been on the adkins for 28 days. Frustrated at first as I was trying to figure it all out and wasn't loosing weight but after reading and trying to figure it out. I wasn't getting my carbs 12-15 from my vegies and you should space them out which i corrected. than I figured out you have to moderate the added fats. So now its like starting all over again, but so far ive lost 11 lbs. I'm looking forward to better sucess. My calories are still under 1400 so im trying to firgure how to get my calories up some.

desertmountain 03-31-2010 03:46 AM

I lost a ton of weight very fast on Atkins the first time but it didn't work as fast the 2nd time and didn't work at all the 3rd time. The first 2 times as soon as I started eating the Atkins breads & allowable snacks, the cravings would hit me like a ton of bricks & eventually I'd eat off plan & that would kick me out of ketosis and my weight would balloon up quickly. By the 3rd time I knew that it was the processed Atkins foods that had grains triggering my cravings and I avoided them but I just wasn't loosing weight even though I stayed strictly on track. It was sad and I really wished that I had stayed with it the first time since the weight came off really, really fast. I lost weight faster on Atkins than with any other plan except for the intense exercise program, P90, along with low calorie eating. For a meat-lover like myself Atkins is definitely easier than any other plan I've tried.
Now I'm eating a modified South Beach, with no grains and very, very limited starchy veggies since carbs immediately cause a weight gain for me. This seems to be working out for me.
I think Atkins is great. If you're doing it for the first time my advice is to stay strong and stay with it until you've reached your goal weight b/c like many people it may not bring you the same results the second or third time around. And if you're having unusual cravings, check for grains in the processed low-carb foods. I think some of us just can't eat grains without cravings or weight gain.
Good luck to all of you! :)