Community
Notices

Atkins

Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Barbarapbm
I found my book at a thrift store for 25 cents. That was 8 years ago. I went from 244 pounds to 183 and stayed there for 2 years on a modified low carb eating regimin . Then I got throat cancer and all during the weeks of radiation when I could not eat and the Onco wanted me to gain weight I had an instant breakfast drink full of vanilla ice cream about 5 times a day.

Needless to say in no time I gained back up to 216 and when I felt good again went back on WOE and got down to 163 and stayed there for 6 years. Lately I have been sliding back into my old carb habits and this morning weighed 175. errrrrrrrrr So I know the solution and I'm back on plan, back on fitday and ready to win. For me Atkins is the only way to go.
So sorry to hear about your health roller-coaster! I am on a bit of one myself--microscopic colitis and, now, diabetes (I was hypoglycemic for 32 years). The ANA works--and you can do it. You are welcome to join my facebook group...look for Lo-Carb Fat Camp.
Originally Posted by cscan1
does anyone out there know why it is that atkins does not seem to work as well the second ot third time around? my first try years ago it seemed like a metabolic meltdown...25 lbs in 4 weeks...i have tried faithfully twice over the last year and first time only lost 3 lbs, then nothing for 3 weeks. second time i lost nothing at all over 3 weeks. is there some reason for this??
It just doesn't. For one thing, we are older and our bodies just do not work as efficiently. We tend to exercise less--either we are busier or our life is more sedentary. I burn a lot fewer calories walking around my classroom than I burned walking to classes at the University of Houston.
Originally Posted by buzzbartholomew
Just started yesterday. Any suggestions?
BUY THE BOOK! You can get the latest one, A New Atkins for a New You (NANY), at almost any bookstore (or Wal-Mart, where I bought one of mine). I also bought the Kindle version so that I would always have it with me (on my phone). FITDAY is the best that I've found for keeping the journal--though I do recommend buying the Atkins Journal for the first 120 days--it gives a nutshell version of the Atkins Nutritional Approach (ANA) and has a weekly reflection area that helps you focus on what is going on in your journey.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Really trying to break my gum habit. Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by saied129
eat spam instead??
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by saied129
Sugar Free, but you still have to count it as a 'sweetener' carb. The only thing I can suggest is that you chew a piece and spit it out when there is no longer any flavor--or when you can't stand it any more. Then set a timer for 30 minutes or an hour and wait until the timer goes off before having another piece. Week by week, add a few minutes to the timer and try for a couple of hours between pieces.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

When I was doing Atkins, which worked great for me but I lost all I needed to and I was so used to this woe that I just kept losing weight so I slowly got off of it and stayed off of it a long time before I started gaining. Then I just did different eating plans off and on. Anyway what worked for me instead of gum was the Listerene strips that melt in your mouth. I always worried about bad breath and I could have as many of those as I wanted and it never seemed to slow down my weight loss and the stick still turned purple. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

wiggsgranny...you are welcome to join our facebook support group--Lo-Carb Fat Camp. We have lots of great tips, recipes, and just good ol' support.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins

I'm doing this but not in the 'old' way I used to, where I ate huge portions of protein. Now I keep them moderate and notice that it still keeps me Not Hungry. Cravings can still get me, but I've been 100% good on this all year so far.

Anyone starting this in the new year? I lost 2.4 lbs (maybe of water, but I don't really care) in 3 days and now am holding off till Monday to weigh again.

I also exercise at least 30 minutes (circuit training, cardio and stretching) every single day. It has made a huge difference in how I feel.

Oh, also - I cut out alcohol - when I drink I find my diet goes to H888 in a handbasket, so feeling less bloated and blechy already!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cullicocopop
I'm doing this but not in the 'old' way I used to, where I ate huge portions of protein. Now I keep them moderate and notice that it still keeps me Not Hungry. Cravings can still get me, but I've been 100% good on this all year so far.

Anyone starting this in the new year? I lost 2.4 lbs (maybe of water, but I don't really care) in 3 days and now am holding off till Monday to weigh again.

I also exercise at least 30 minutes (circuit training, cardio and stretching) every single day. It has made a huge difference in how I feel.

Oh, also - I cut out alcohol - when I drink I find my diet goes to H888 in a handbasket, so feeling less bloated and blechy already!
Many of the people in my facebook group are participating in an event we've called "Atkins Induction Do-Over." Though we've been on Atkins for some time, we are starting the new year off with Induction.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

I can't say doing Atkins but doing low carb high protein. Need to lose weight before my next vacation in March so low carb is the way that works best and fast for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have not been on here for a while and would really like some support. We could email at [email protected]; I will reciprocate if you desire.
I bought fitday pc and like it but it only synch with the online database the first use; I wish I could switch back and forth without buying premium, even if only once a month. I can now log weight daily--an improvement.
I had a terrible doctor that told me to lose weight but would not support my diet; in fact she interferred with it. I have problems intaking enough potassium and she did not go along with the RDA 4.7 g/d supported by the 2004 report of the Institute of Medicine. My new doctor is fine and I can take up to 4 10 MEQ (400 mg) potassium citrate per day to supplement the low quantity of food I eat and the kinds of food on the modified Atkins diet. I am trying to find a diet buddy in the L A or Ventura County area but no luck.
I find that to lose weight I not only have to keep Net Carbs low but eat less than 1500 calories a day and exercise. I am within 15 pounds of my target weight and it has been very slow; each holiday like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's I gain a few pounds and have to start over and with each problem with the doctor I completely got off of the diet. With the new year and new doctor I am back on it.
I use the Keto Stix by Bayer to see if I am burning fat.
Anyone want to be my diet buddy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.