Notices

Atkins

Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Melfawn
I know that Atkins works. I lost 70 pounds...and I've kept it off for 8 years because even though I wasn't eating as low carb as I should've been for the last 8 years, I was always conscious of my carbs. If I gained even a pound of that 70 back, I would immediately start watching my carbs.

Whenever people started trashing Atkins with "sure, but when you go off it, you'll just gain the weight back" my response was "Yep...just like weight watchers, jenny craig, counting calories or any other 'diet' out there. Stop doing it and you'll gain the weight back."

I am glad to see that there are more and more threads on Atkins. I am within a few pounds of my target and still losing. I feel so much healthier. People say, "Hey, you have lost wieght," or, "You are looking fit." It is almost as good as sex. Almost.
Rick
Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

Question for the Atkins experienced people: why are the endulge bars (like the caramel nut chew) not appropriate for phase 1 if they only have 2 g net carbs? Is there something besides the net carbs we should watch?
Has anyone had one of these bars and checked whether it takes you out of ketosis?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
FitDay Member

I just think that not everyone can successfully cut carbs to the Atkins level long term. I know there are people who do it well, and I know it can really work for those people, as you've obviously proven. But for me, I had real difficulty after a period of time. I just could not do it anymore. Any diet that is nutritious and helps produce weight loss, will also be maintainable if a person does exactly what you described - go right back on it just as soon as a pound is gained.

I feel that it really is about finding the type of diet that is based on what you can do long term because ultimately that is what will be required no matter what method you choose. Congratulations on your fantastic success. 8 years is an outstanding acheivement. wow!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner
You bet. Down to 183 on bathroom scale.
Rick
Down to 181 on bathroom scale, within 1 pound of target; lost 40 pounds since May 7 and stronger than ever on weight machines at the gym. I generally feel great. Some days I eat 100 net carbs or over, some days 25. If I eat a quesadilla or cobbler one day I back off the next few days. Some days I eat rice crispies or puffed wheat. It seems that I am getting away with it. I am getting a little tired of the greens but enjoy them much more than I used to. Generally I am hungry only at or near meal times. Fortunately in California supermarkets there is a variety of fresh and canned greens and I eat celery and cream cheese almost every day. My GERD has almost disappeared and my vertigo upon arising due to lazy arteries has improved. I look forward to trying mountain hiking and cross country skiing again. I will renew my athletic club membership that I paid for only for the summer for a year. My cholesterol is off the scale low and blood sugar normal and stable. New Atkins is a great diet. Good luck to the rest of you and keep on keeping on, keep the faith, don't quit, you can do it too.
I am writing plays and plan three productions next year. I maintain my house, yard and cars and am even doing my own auto body repair and painting.
Rick
Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help Me with Atkins

I've started doingatkins and I want to msakesure I'm doing ti right! I'm so scared im making unknown mistakes. What kind of meat should i eat since I'msupposed to eat lots of fat?

Also, what percentage of my diet should be fat? carbs? Protein?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
FitDay Member

In the book The New Atkins if you start out in induction it is 20 net carbs....

I eat tuna, beef, chicken, turkey, bacon, pork chops, ham.....

I don't really know the ratio....

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has the ratio for you. Honestly if I have to worry about figuring out the ratio I won't do it. If you have the book it makes the diet a lot easier to understand.

Good luck to you!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
FitDay Member

The original Atkins is 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs. They call it a "high-fat, adequate protein, low carb" diet. I'm not an expert, but what I've learned about Atkins and more ketogenic diets in general is that the more you increase your % fat (relative to proteins and carbs) the more "ketogenic" the diet will be, and therefore the more you will burn fat. So if you eat 75% fat is even better.
It sounds weird, but think that Atkins is the less ketogenic diet of all!
If you have troubles pushing the fat % up (I do in fact have troubles) what you can do is decrease the protein portions and add butter, mayo, heavy cream to your dishes.
Hope this helps. I'm sure more experienced people will give you more answers soon!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
FitDay Member

Post Here's what helped me on Atkins

They do allow you unlimited amounts of certain veggies - which I needed for fiber in my diet. I ate at least 3-4 cups of them a day. Second, the most important part of this as well as any diet is to drink plenty of water. Again, Atkins recommends regular exercise. I did like lunches of tuna and cottage cheese, dinners with a steak, aspargus and even acquired a taste for soybean made bread, pizza and pasta. I missed some of my carbs and fruits in the beginning - but did add a little of them latter. I actually lost most of my weight quickly on this diet. Keeping on this manner of eating for life has been my most challenging part. I have had medical needs for more fiber, more carbs, etc than the Atkins diet allows - so I have had to adjust.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
FitDay Member

I aim for 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein, and 5-10% carbohydrate.

Of course, the most important thing to focus on during induction phase is to limit your carbs to 20g and make sure that at least 12g of that comes from green leafy vegetables. As you progress, you are also going to want to start paying attention to your protein and calories. In my case (6'0" male), I try to keep my protein between 90-190g (usually ends up at 120-160g) and my calories around 1800 (book calls for 1800-2200).

As someone else also mentioned, be sure you drink LOTS of water. I aim for a gallon a day, and I found that if I go a couple days without enough water, I start to get side aches. Also be sure to get a good multivitamin. In one of the Atkins books (not the most recent one) they actually gave a list of all the ingredients in the Atkins brand multivitamin and I found that GNC Mens Mega was almost identical for half the cost.

Best of luck!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 AM
FitDay Member

Question Help! Help! Atkins Woes!

I am currently a poor college student trying to save as much money as I can due to expensive EXPENSES and really dont't want to buy ANOTHER atkins book like the one I have now tells me to do. I'm trying out Atkins diet and have been on it for about a week without results. I first started with a lot of protein (about 50-60%) then heard I should be eating more fat so now I'm eating about 65% fat with usually no more than 3-5% carbs. Does eating over the amount of the calories I burn hinder my diet? Also, my carbs come from some of the meats I eat like sausage but I never go over 20 grams a day. I'm seeing no results. Also, Does anyone have an example of a day on Induction that does NOT contain bought atkins products because I cant afford those and want to see if I'm eating right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.