FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/457-atkins.html)

RichardBuckner 06-02-2010 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by lmcrg (Post 12317)
I joined this website today. I have done the Atkins diet before and I was very successful with it, but I couldn't sustain it and gained it all back and more.

I am going to give it a try again but with some changes so that I can actually change my life style and not simply "be on a diet" and revert back to the same mistakes I did before.

I hope to count on you guys to share experiences and see this thing through. I am turning 40 years old next year and I need to turn my life around or my health will be severely affected.

Is anyone out there?

Stay well, Luis

I am on the new Atkins diet; get the book. It is easier. but the second week was murder. Now I have almost no obsessive cravings and hunger. Have lost 14 pounds in 3.5 weeks. Good luck.

RichardBuckner 06-02-2010 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 12385)
Does anybody else feel like they would rather go through life invisible? Like, today was so hard to come to work. I feel like I'm hiding out, in my office, in the car, in the house. I'm soooo disappointed. I feel like somewhere I just lost who I am or gave up on me. I'm sitting here looking at the clothes I have on at work today--WTH??? What was I thinking? I don't think I'm depressed, I feel ok. I just feel like I'm caught up in the tedium of everyday life and can't get enough money or enough vacation time. GEEZ!!

I'm dieting and nothing seems to be happening. I'm ready to say F****THIS!!!!!! I'll never be a 10. You know?

I don't know if its the weight that caused this or the mood that's caused the weight. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Calling Richard, Terri, Luis...somebody, anybody!?

Attitude, attitude, attitude. I felt like you do when my mom died; I had some unfinished business with her and realized it would never be resolved. But there is not chance now so have put it behind me. You can choose your attitude, so do it. Be positive NO MATTER WHAT. Watch comedy on TV. Do creative and fun things. Exercise. Read inspirational stories and listen to inspirational music. Take care of yourself.
Remember there is no more precious child of the creator than you. Don't beat up on yourself. You might read Homecoming by John Bradshaw and do the imagining exercises. They are intense but I would be willing to be here for you. Another good book is Pychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.
You can and will change. You might be in a size 9 in a year. People change; it is up to you. All we can do is provide a supportive environment.
Go to it, tiger!

MetalPeaches 06-02-2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lil.oh.me (Post 12385)

I'm dieting and nothing seems to be happening. I'm ready to say F****THIS!!!!!! I'll never be a 10. You know?

I don't know if its the weight that caused this or the mood that's caused the weight. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Calling Richard, Terri, Luis...somebody, anybody!?

I'm feeling like this right now. I'm not a sad person but I've been dieting/ exercising hard for weeks and all I have to show for it is an extra inch on my hips. How is that possible? I stopped alcohol completely- I've cut out sugar and I've started exercising daily. Not one pound lost.

Anyways I'm starting ketosis tomorrow- the induction diet. I'm nervous because I don't like meat (I was a vegetarian for over a decade) but obviously nothing else is working. I'm scared I'm just going to gain on this too. Trying really hard to stay positive but this whole experience has been so frustrating. I'm bigger and more tired than ever! I'm gonna need a lot of support on this.

RichardBuckner 06-03-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12472)
I'm feeling like this right now. I'm not a sad person but I've been dieting/ exercising hard for weeks and all I have to show for it is an extra inch on my hips. How is that possible? I stopped alcohol completely- I've cut out sugar and I've started exercising daily. Not one pound lost.

Anyways I'm starting ketosis tomorrow- the induction diet. I'm nervous because I don't like meat (I was a vegetarian for over a decade) but obviously nothing else is working. I'm scared I'm just going to gain on this too. Trying really hard to stay positive but this whole experience has been so frustrating. I'm bigger and more tired than ever! I'm gonna need a lot of support on this.

Encourage, encourage. I have lost 16 pounds in 3.5 weeks on new Atkins. My food logs are public and you can look at them. Right now I am working on getting my potassium up. It is about 60% of RDA. I will see my doctor tomorrow to see what my blood level was last Friday. I am having to add to net carbs to get the potassium up. What you have accomplished so far is good for your body. You can eat a lot of fish, poultry and pork. Don't give up; restrict net carbs to about 20 and stick with it for 2 weeks and you will lose, and keep exercising. Best of luck. 10 years longer life feeling great will be worth it. Remember, all that really matters is YOU!
Rick

lil.oh.me 06-03-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12472)

Originally Posted by RichardBuckner (Post 12395)
Attitude, attitude, attitude. I felt like you do when my mom died; I had some unfinished business with her and realized it would never be resolved. But there is not chance now so have put it behind me. You can choose your attitude, so do it. Be positive NO MATTER WHAT. Watch comedy on TV. Do creative and fun things. Exercise. Read inspirational stories and listen to inspirational music. Take care of yourself.
Remember there is no more precious child of the creator than you. Don't beat up on yourself. You might read Homecoming by John Bradshaw and do the imagining exercises. They are intense but I would be willing to be here for you. Another good book is Pychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.
You can and will change. You might be in a size 9 in a year. People change; it is up to you. All we can do is provide a supportive environment.
Go to it, tiger!

Richard, thank you. You are sooo encouraging. I really wish I were stronger to be your cheerleader right now. You're doing so well.

MetalPeaches--I wish I had something for you, too. But, I haven't lost either. I'm thinking I've been doing this almost a month and nothing. Not even one clothes size. The last time I did this, shoot the last two times, I lost about 60 lbs. I saw results fast. I'm feeling helpless and hopeless right now. I heard about the wooshie fairy. You know, one day it just all wooshes away after your effort--or is it the swooshie fairy--anywhoooo, I am trying to hang in there.

Oh, I gave up the alcohol almost completely. None during the week and a bit of tequila with the bf on the weekends. But, other than that I feel like I'm just filling myself with crap.

Funny, one of my students told me I was "disintegrating" today and she wanted me to stop mistreating myself cause she loved me. I couldn't even...well, I know its bad.

Is this also because I'm soon to be 39? Almost the 4 oh.

Beefsister 06-03-2010 11:43 AM

I'm sort of doing the Atkins diet. More of a primal diet. My ratios today were 72% fat ( 122 grams overall,44 grams saturated, 10.6 polyunsaturated, 56 monounsaturated), 27% protein (99 grams), and 1% carbs (2.6).

I plan on eating a bit more carbs once I get closer to my goal weight, from veggies and a bit of fruit. But for now, mostly meat, eggs, cheese, and oils. I like this diet so far. It's tasty, and the fatty foods keep me full for a long time :)

Also, I highly suggest that anybody doing or thinking about going low carb go to Link removed

It's a great site, with a forum and everything. That site is actually what made me go on the 'caveman diet'.

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 03:40 AM

[QUOTE=lil.oh.me;12541]Richard, thank you. You are sooo encouraging. I really wish I were stronger to be your cheerleader right now. You're doing so well.

MetalPeaches--I wish I had something for you, too. But, I haven't lost either. I'm thinking I've been doing this almost a month and nothing. Not even one clothes size. The last time I did this, shoot the last two times, I lost about 60 lbs. I saw results fast. I'm feeling helpless and hopeless right now. I heard about the wooshie fairy. You know, one day it just all wooshes away after your effort--or is it the swooshie fairy--anywhoooo, I am trying to hang in there.

Oh, I gave up the alcohol almost completely. None during the week and a bit of tequila with the bf on the weekends. But, other than that I feel like I'm just filling myself with crap.

Keep trying. You can look at my public food logs. Wait until you are 69; it is a very sexy age. Age isn't you, YOU are you. Keep forever young. Learn something new. Today I hit 201 on the bathroom scale first thing in the morning; 204.4 on the accurate digital scale. Lost 2.6 lb from last Monday. Upping my net carbs to 40 and adding some fruit and melons. Still can't get my potassium above 70% without great expense and higher net carbs. Will probably add potassium citrate. Will continue to try to lose 2 pounds per week, maybe 2-3 weeks and I will be half way there at 200. This is after a solid week on a plateau at 202 in the morning. You can go like than then suddenly lose 5 pounds in a week. Do not despair. Yaaaay me!
Rick

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Beefsister (Post 12550)
I'm sort of doing the Atkins diet. More of a primal diet. My ratios today were 72% fat ( 122 grams overall,44 grams saturated, 10.6 polyunsaturated, 56 monounsaturated), 27% protein (99 grams), and 1% carbs (2.6).

I plan on eating a bit more carbs once I get closer to my goal weight, from veggies and a bit of fruit. But for now, mostly meat, eggs, cheese, and oils. I like this diet so far. It's tasty, and the fatty foods keep me full for a long time :)

Also, I highly suggest that anybody doing or thinking about going low carb go to Link removed.

It's a great site, with a forum and everything. That site is actually what made me go on the 'caveman diet'.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out the site. I suggest you eat more carbs and protein. You need the protein to replace the muscle you lose as your body has less weight to support and eats for food. You do need some carbs. Get them in green leafy veggies. My ration is about 10% carbs (rising a little now), 30% protein and the rest fat. It has taken 4 weeks but I feel great.
Rick

MetalPeaches 06-04-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Beefsister (Post 12550)

Ok I'm the total opposite. I'm on day two of induction and I feel like hell. I've been hungry since I've started this which feels terrible. I can only eat so much meat before it makes me nauseous. I've had a splitting headache all day and just feel completely lethargic. Before this I'd have like a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and I wouldn't get hungry at all until around lunchtime. I'm eating way more calories than I'm used to and my stomach is gnawing at me like I haven't eaten a thing.
If I never had to eat cheese or meat again the rest of my life I'd be perfectly ok with that. Ughh

RichardBuckner 06-04-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MetalPeaches (Post 12655)
Ok I'm the total opposite. I'm on day two of induction and I feel like hell. I've been hungry since I've started this which feels terrible. I can only eat so much meat before it makes me nauseous. I've had a splitting headache all day and just feel completely lethargic. Before this I'd have like a bowl of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and I wouldn't get hungry at all until around lunchtime. I'm eating way more calories than I'm used to and my stomach is gnawing at me like I haven't eaten a thing.
If I never had to eat cheese or meat again the rest of my life I'd be perfectly ok with that. Ughh

Your metabolism is in an uproar. You want the lazy carbs. Be sure and eat at least 20 net carbs. Eskimos and paleolithic hungers survived; it takes a while to turn the genes to use fat back on. I am in 4th week and feel great. Look at your total nutrition chart; make sure you are getting enough potassium. I went to the dr today to get the results of potassium, glucose and calcium; the lab sent none. I had to get blood drawn again. If your potassium is low you will feel like hell; google the symptoms of low potassium. If you need it supplemented more than a few percent you need a doctor's prescription. They don't tell you this. I got mine up 10% by eating potassium rich foods and feel great but my carbs have gone up. I wasted a week and it will still be days before I get my Rx. I hate dr secretaries. I drink the flavored sparkling water with no carbs, only .79 per liter. Eat 4 or 5 servings of green leafy veggies a day. I eat spinach for breakfast. Good luck. You can look at my food logs; my ID is RichardBuckner.
Rick