Notices

Eat to Live diet by Joel Fuhrman

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM
FitDay Member

I tried the Eat to live program with a group of women for a period of six weeks. I lost 17 pounds and 11 inches overall. Unfortunately, I was not ready to change my habits and gained all back plus. However, I learned so much from the food plan I have been able to draw on it now that I am eating a healthy diet. I eliminated sugar and eat on average around 30-40 g of fiber a day. Average day is.....
1 c cottage cheese with cinnamon and 3-4 T of applesauce and stevia for breakfast
Lunch is 4 T almond butter mixed with a T of unrefined coconut oil to which I add 1 t of unswwetened cocoa powder and stevia. A huge salad with homemade avocado dressing consisting of 1 whole avocado, red onion, garlic and spices, lemon juice and water blended in the magic bullet.The salad has all the raw veggies I can get. You name it! A bit of feta cheese for flavor added.
Dinner is a huge salad with the remaining dressing from lunch done the same way and around 9 oz. of broiled skin-on salmon.
I feel great and am down 112 pounds from last year.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Starting to Eat to Live/For Health

I think that what jnjgr is doing sounds more attainable than the strict 6 week slim down. I currently eat about 6-7 times a day using the macro-nutrient guide.

I am used to a high protein diet, and participate in very strenuous exercise. With my level of activity I want to make sure that I am consuming enough real protein amino acids to preserve my muscle and organ tissue. I am thinking of only consuming a small portion of meat per day (organic free range), and supplementing with whey protein powder. I would like to find a place near me where I can get lean game meat, as I think this is the most natural and beneficial form of protein, but we will see.

Any thoughts on protein powders or protein supplementation? Any modifications to the individual nutritional needs for high activity?

Last edited by acamb67; 08-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM
FitDay Member

Wow --- jnjgr, 112 pounds! Way to go!!! I just discovered FitDay, and am finding it really inspiring for changing my eating habits for healthier ones. I love the graphs & reports.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Clarification on Eat To Live

Hello - I am total newbie. Read Eat To Live and and am interested. For starters I am a vegetarian but do eat and love skim milk yoghurt.

I have several questions on Eat To Live and somehow could not find obvious answers.

1. If I make green smoothie, I will have to add water in the blender and was wondering whether I can have a 40-50 oz serving (as this has water too) for breakfast ?

2. There is no mention of regular water intake - I am assuming I can have as much water as I want throughout the day ?

3. Legumes - I am particularly fond of Black Bengal Gram (Indian name - Kala Chana) - is that allowed ?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why am I not losing any weight?

I've been following the Eat to Live plan for about a month. I lost five pounds the first week, but I figure that's because I gave up diet pop. I have not lost anything since. I have been weighing my food, writing down what I eat, I added one hour of exercise, and have lost two tenths of a pound since that first week. I read the book and know there's a couple of things I'm not doing right. I am not eating three meals a day. I've gotten into the habit of eating snacks, so am still doing that. Plus, it's hard to get an entire two pounds of veggies in otherwise. That's the other thing I'm not always doing....eating all the veggies required, but I try. Does anybody have a clue why I'm not losing?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hello JuneGard, I'm not sure I would credit your 5 lb loss to skipping diet soda. Diet soda is no good, but I've never heard of anyone loosing weight so immediately by stopping it. Even so, do you want to show us what you ate the last few days? Maybe we can provide specific suggestions.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default On the first two weeks of Eat to Live.

Hi there. I've been following the six week plan from Dr. Fuhrman's first book Eat to Live, and so far, in two weeks, I've lost 9 pounds. I have had a few cheats here and there, but it's hard to take in too many calories when you are primarily eating fruits and vegetables. I feel satisfied,great after seeing the rapid weight loss and I hope to stay motivated. I'm keeping track of my calories and they have averaged out to about 1000-1100 a day. I'm also exercising, mostly walking, 3-5 times a week for 45 min. each time.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChaiKitty
stamatiaa -- woohoo! another Furhmanite! I am really excited that you mentioned that the diet has liberated you from food addictions because I am slowly starting to notice the same thing for me. I use to be on the "six small meals a day" bandwagon and could hardly go 3 hours without some sort of snack. Now I am totally free and just eat a big breakfast, lunch, and dinner full of veggies, beans, and fruit. It really makes me feel good. Giving up my coffee/caffeine is something I want to do next...

Unfortunately, I have not used FitDay to log my food on this diet. I usually only use the weight tracker and message boards.

But I am curious to know, do you have any vegan cookbook or blog recommendations?
I just bought the Happy Herbivore cookbook after drooling over it at Barnes and Noble for the past few weeks. But I'm always on the lookout for other easy, healthy (by Fuhrman standards) cookbooks.

By the way, thanks for the information on the ANDI score guide. I had no idea that he played a role in it's further development. That's great! Any way to make the diet more accessible to more people is an accomplishment in my mind.
The Fatfreevegan.com website has some fantastic and easy recipes.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ditto for me

Originally Posted by JuneGard
I've been following the Eat to Live plan for about a month. I lost five pounds the first week, but I figure that's because I gave up diet pop. I have not lost anything since. I have been weighing my food, writing down what I eat, I added one hour of exercise, and have lost two tenths of a pound since that first week. I read the book and know there's a couple of things I'm not doing right. I am not eating three meals a day. I've gotten into the habit of eating snacks, so am still doing that. Plus, it's hard to get an entire two pounds of veggies in otherwise. That's the other thing I'm not always doing....eating all the veggies required, but I try. Does anybody have a clue why I'm not losing?
Everyone is different...

I have done ETL and I have done The raw food diet. On both diets I still can not eat unlimited quantities no matter what "they" say.

In order for me to lose on ETL I need to limit my fruit to 4 for a day and limit beans to 1 cup. I allow myself 1 serving of olive oil, 1 starchy veg or grain, one light soy milk daily. No meat, dairy, or bread like products. The only thing I can eat with wild abandon are non starchy veggies.

The more I allow myself to go outside of these guidelines the less weight I lose.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

I've been on the eat to live diet/lifestyle for 3 weeks now. I do still eat chicken and fish though because I just could eliminate everything all at once. I am not a big vegetable eater but I'm getting better. i have lost 20 lbs in the first 22 days and I've only been hungry twice. I'm a believer.

Originally Posted by ChaiKitty
Is anyone else having success with the Eat to Live plan?

It essentially recommends a vegan diet without processed foods and limited grains, where the goal of the diet is to maximize the nutrient to calorie ratio of foods (obviously veggies, especially greens are the most nutrient dense and meats/cheeses have virtually none).

General guidelines are to make it a goal to:
  • eat one pound of raw veggies per day (mostly leafy greens),
  • one pound of cooked veggies per day,
  • at least four fruits per day,
  • at least one cup of legumes (beans/pulses) per day,
  • up to one cup of soy milk or tofu per day,
  • no between meal snacks,
  • only eat if hungry.

A final note is that one should follow the 90% rule with this recommendation, where you should be following the recommendations 90 percent of the time with 10 percent of allowable deviations.

So, is anyone else out there having success with this diet? I love it. It has totally revolutionized my eating and I have lost 30lbs in 5 months. I frequently have cheats, but up to the point allowable in the 90% rule. I also feel this diet will be sustaiable for the long term and I look forward to striving to eat this way for the rest of my life. No more counting calories.

Please share your stories.

Thanks,
ChaiKitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.