FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Type 1 diabetic doing the 80/10/10 lf raw vegan lifestyle (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/3818-type-1-diabetic-doing-80-10-10-lf-raw-vegan-lifestyle.html)

the5brainards 03-26-2011 01:10 AM

Type 1 diabetic doing the 80/10/10 lf raw vegan lifestyle

HI! I am a 40 year old mom of 3 who has been an insulin dependent diabetic for over 15 years. I wear a pump and just got a constant glucose monitoring system this week. Hurray!!! I have felt for a long time that there must be a way to get off insulin by changing my diet. I then saw the movie 'Raw for 30 Days' about a year and a half ago and this led me on my current path. I immediately switched to a plant-based diet and then discovered Dr. Doug Graham's 80/10/10 diet. This is IT!!!! I have been doing it for over 6 months now and know that although I have my ups and downs giving up cooked food, this is a diet that gives me vibrant health...I did a one week retreat in Jan. '11 with a local woman who is one of the pioneers in the 80/10/10 lifestyle (Ellen Livingston at link removed) and I have never felt better in my entire life! I initially lost about 20 pounds and am probably not more than 10 or 15 pounds overweight now but am mainly here to log my food intake and make sure that I am eating enough calories...imagine that, I eat whenever I am hungry, all day long and still have to make sure I am getting enough calories on this diet! I would love to connect with other diabetics or people who are doing a low-fat raw vegan diet (lfrv).

duck94 06-17-2011 03:05 AM

80/10/10 Diet

The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham is a Low Fat Raw Vegan lifestyle diet that I have slowly worked my way toward. It is a bit extreme but I believe that I have found the healthiest possible diet that exists. I would like to talk with others who have discovered the benefits of the 80/10/10 diet.

inspiralsunshine 06-18-2011 01:43 AM

How's that going for you? I guess it brings up the age old protein dilemma. I have noticed over the years some of the raw food community are reverting back to higher protein diets...some even including animal protein. I have no idea what the answers are...in fact the whole thing baffles me as I tryto stay very informed on nutrition. Just curious how its working for you.

ChaiKitty 06-19-2011 01:53 AM

Leafy greens have 25% of their calories from protein (which is more than steak at 18% of calories from protein). There is no lack of protein if you eat mostly veggies and beans.

How else do you think buffalo and other giant, muscular herbivores get so big?No lack of protein for them....

ChaiKitty 06-19-2011 04:45 AM

duck94,

In response to your original post, I do not follow the 80/10/10 diet and instead follow Dr. Furhman's Eat to Live diet (low fat vegan, but not raw).

Here is a link I found in Dr. Fuhrman's website regarding the choice to eat an exclusively raw diet: FAQ | Dr Fuhrman.com

Here are some important selections from that link:

"Excluding all steamed vegetables and vegetable soups from your diet narrows your nutrient diversity and has a tendency to reduce the percentage of calories from vegetables in favor of nuts and fruits which are lower in nutrients per calorie. "

"Only small amounts of nutrients are lost with conservative cooking like making a soup, but many more nutrients are made more absorbable. These nutrients would have been lost if those vegetables had been consumed raw. When we heat, soften and moisturize the vegetables and beans we dramatically increase the potential digestibility and absorption of many beneficial and nutritious compounds. We also increase the plant proteins in the diet, especially important for those eating a plant-based diet with limited or no animal products."

Now, there may be people out there who disagree with this or who, like you duck94, who are having great success with eating a raw vegan diet. However, I have found a lot of success with including cooked beans, lentils, and veggies in my diet. It's tasty too. Also, although I am not a nutritional scientist, I am a scientist and I agree with the reasoning and have looked up the scientific literature references that Dr. Fuhrman makes. It seems quite sound.

Anyhow, I am not a spokesperson for Dr. Fuhrman or his diet, but., as I mentioned, I have had a lot of success with the low fat vegan approach and would encourage you to give that a try or at least look into that option as you are on your journey to the most healthy diet ever. :)

Take care,
Chai

JungleJanie 12-09-2011 07:23 PM

Works for me :)

I've been doing this diet and lifestyle for almost 10 years now. My success story up 'till the time of printing is in The 80/10/10 Diet (book) by Dr. Graham, and I'm still going strong. Protein has never been a problem.

Aloha!

-Janie :)

[email protected] 07-02-2012 12:31 PM

Hi All, I am new to this web site. I have been a Type I diabetic for nearly 40 yrs now. I am very healthy as far as the disease goes, ie still have all feeling in my feet, no problems with my eyes, excellent kidney function, A1c between 5.8 & 6.5. I am a nurse who works nights and am about 30 lbs heavier than I should be. I have been looking at the Raw Food way of eating, but need some direction. I also, like the first post up top here, wear an insulin pump with a continuous glucose monitoring system. I will check back often to see if there is anyone able to help me here.
Thanks in advance!! Terry