Community
Notices

HCG Diet

Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tonkajen
I'm not sure why no one else mentioned that selling HCG for weight loss is illegal.
Where does it say this? I didn't read the entire article but what I saw was "FDA and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have issued seven letters to companies warning them that they are selling illegal homeopathic HCG weight-loss drugs that have not been approved by FDA, and that make unsupported claims."

That's like saying that 7 car dealerships were selling illegal (stolen) Chevys so it's illegal to buy a Chevy from ANY dealership.

ON EDIT. I just skimmed through it b/c I'm at work and busy and did see this.
HCG is approved by FDA as a prescription drug for the treatment of female infertility, and other medical conditions. It is not approved for weight loss. In fact, the prescription drug label notes there “is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

Okay, HCG is approved by the FDA, just not for weight loss. The fact is that people that take HCG and follow the 500 cal/ day diet plan lose weight quickly. They aren't that hungry when they are on HCG. Sure anyone one a 500 cal/day diet will lose weight, but can they stick it out for 2 weeks (or what how ever long) while feeling like they are starving. Just because it's not approved for weight loss, doesn't mean it won't work. Adderall is approved by the FDA, but it's not approved for weigh loss, although it will kill your appetite. Many parents have to take their kids off of various ADHD medicines because of weight loss.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

There are many drugs prescribed "off label", that is developed and tested for one condition, but found effective in treating another. I am currently on Effexor - a mild anti depressant - not because I have problems w/depression but because it was found to be an excellent treatment for menopause symptoms for those who can't take hormones. It is perfectly legal.

While I can't say that I am a big fan of HCG, it clearly works for many people who probably would not have lost the weight otherwise. My issue is with the shysters and and conmen clearly in it to make a buck off of folks just looking for some help.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
My issue is with the shysters and and conmen clearly in it to make a buck off of folks just looking for some help.
Unfortunately that is anywhere you go, especially in the diet industry. That's why MLM and pyramid schemes are so popular.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yupper - And the reason why FitDay is so effective. I only relies on personal responsibility .
Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default Okay if I want to get HCG..

I am in Canada. So do I order it online? Do I order drops? Or is it in pill form as well? Which is better. I live 45 min from the border can I get it at a health food store in USA?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Where to buy HCG

Molly there are a lot of different places to buy HCG I buy mine from I hope it is okay to post that on here. They have always been a reliable website for me, I've lost 30lbs so far using their drops. I do recommend taking a vitamin B12 supplement in addition to the drops (which is what I use) because I have noticed that I had some hair loss from taking the drops.
I am currently on a 45 day plan but I am doubling my drops because my body seems to "react" to it by having a very slow weight loss after the first few weeks. Good luck to you!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 06-26-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: No, it's not okay to post that here.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default The HCG Diet Is A Dangerous Scam -- it does NOT work!

Good luck with your weight loss goals, but the HCG diet is not a safe way to jump start the process.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

The MFP moderators have been cautioning members against attempting that diet because it is so dangerous.

Please read the articles on these websites before you try HCG. I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

HCG Diet Products Are Illegal

HCG Diet is Dangerous, Experts Say | MyHealthNewsDaily.com

HCG diet: Is it safe and effective? - MayoClinic.com

The Truth About hCG for Weight Loss

The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don?t Want You to Know About

HCG Worthless as Weight-Loss Aid

TucsonMedical.com: HCG for Weight Loss
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Wow there seem to be a lot of people that are against the HCG diet. I've noticed this in my own life. I've started keeping my mouth shut and not telling people what I am doing. They think that 500 calories isn't enough food. But if you actually look at the meals that I eat you would see that it is a normal portion of food, it's just that it's an extremely healthy portion. The HCG diet works. I've lost almost 50lbs on it. If you are a skeptic or if you want to substitute foods out of the diet, then you need to read what the actual doctor who came up with this diet had to say. Everything you eat has been carefully formulated to make sure you are getting the right amount of vitamins and nutrients, and you really shouldn't be eating the 500 calories any way you want. That WILL make you sick.

Although I believe the diet works I do not feel that it is something that you could do for the rest of your life. I do however, feel that the skills and things you learn while on the diet can carry through with you for the rest of your life. I had to teach myself how to prepare foods the way that I do now, but I don't need fats or oils to make my dinner anymore. I know several ways to make vegetables without making them unhealthy. The biggest thing is that I know what a normal meal portion should be!

I think that if you don't approve of the diet that is fine, but you should not discourage someone else from trying to better their lives. Being obese is far more unhealthy than doing the HCG diet.

I will say that I've met quite a few people who could not keep their weight off after the diet, including myself. I gained back about 10 lbs, from the first round of the diet that I did. But! I found out that is because I did not come off of the diet correctly. You are supposed to slowly reintroduce your body to the foods that you haven't been eating while on the diet. Beyond those things if you sit on the couch, eat the same things, and the same portions as you did before, you are going to gain the weight back. That is true for ANY diet, not just the HCG diet.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi new here but on Day 1 of Phase 2 of HCG Diet

This is my 2nd time around. I lost almost 20 pounds last time and then gained about 8 back over a couple of months. I kept thinking when I ate bad that I would just lose it later, pfft it's hard but I do like this diet. I feel better, happier, and have more energy. I have lots of food allergies so I think it's even better for me because I am minimizing my chances of eating something I am allergic to and feeling crappy later.

I'm 36, 5'2 and starting at 176. I mainly sit all day at a computer so I find when I am starving it's better to be walking around or even go shopping. Keeping my eye on the prize aka new cute smaller clothes. I also found that there is a big difference in drops, pellets with brands. I tried a couple different ones I bought in the store and was STARVING and feeling so so sick. My friend gave me a bottle from the place she orders from on line and it was night and day difference. I am still a little hungry but not like before.

I also don't completely stick to protocol and have found certain foods work fine for me. Like today I had cottage cheese and strawberries for lunch. It's refreshing and I don't even like cottage cheese. I add truvia which is my favorite.

Any how I am rambling. But if anyone has great ideas or tips I would love to read them. You tube is great spot for inspiration as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rmdaly
There has been a lot of chatter here on Fitday about HCG. Most of it that I have read was from people who were just starting it and losing an incredible amount of weight. There haven't been a lot about those that used it and have been able to keep it off.

Anyone will lose weight if they go on a 500-calorie per day diet. I don't think there have been any scientific studies that show those using HCG lose more than those who don't.
I was thinking the same thing myself, if I could keep to 500 calories, the weight would just fall off me. I am new to FD and just plan to count the calories. I have stopped drinking red wine, which for me, living in France is hard, so a step in the right direction.

I love carbs, so Atkins etc is a no-no for me. I am going to eat the same foods, but just less of it (I hope).

5'6 and 195 lbs now. I'l check back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.