FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Fasting (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/2848-fasting.html)

GDay2011 01-04-2011 01:50 AM

Fasting

Hey All

After a gorge yesterday I'm going for a one day fast, well that was the plan.

Just been drinking water and having 4 green teas (all drunk now)

I read online the benifits of a one day fast and it appears that the body using stored fat for energy doesn't happen until after 24 hours of fasting so in theory a water fast would be more beneficial over 2 or 3 days.

As I'm interested in fasting once a month I've seen juice fast where you eat fruit and veg, and drink fruit juices for a few days as a fast. This flushes the toxins quicker but I can't see how this would 'eat fat'

Anyone with any experience in either, or ideally both, care to shed some advice?

I'm tempted to fast for another day at least if not two. I'm not fussed about the muscle breakdown as my main aim now is weight loss and I will gain muscle once I'm down to my desired weight.

thanks

mecompco 01-04-2011 02:27 AM

I've been hesitant to talk a lot about fasting 'cause I'm pretty much done with it myself.

But, yes, I have fasted numerous times, including two 30 day water fasts.

I've done one to three week water fasts quite a few times.

When I lost 150 lbs or so as a teenager I ate one meal a week for several months (usually an all-meat pizza on Friday night :eek:).

The first day is the worst, but after the second or third day, it's clear sailing for a week or two. After that, it is really more psychological as all hunger stops.

Into week three, at least for me, the muscle cramps start up and get bad--you NEED to drink a LOT of water. I'm sure this is probably not the most healthy thing to do.

You DO lose a lot of weight, and the feeling is great, once the hunger pangs of the first couple of days subside. You will have LOTS more free time and will wonder at the hours once spent eating/preparing to eat.

You will feel euphoric and sometimes lightheaded, especially if you continue to exercise (which if you don't, you'll lose even more muscle tissue). You will probably feel cold.

You will pee a LOT if you are drinking anywhere near enough.

Other than the muscle cramps, it's really a pretty good experience. I will say, though, that it gives one a good understanding of how painful it would be to actually starve to death.

I think that one or two day fasts, perhaps with juice or something to help keep electrolytes in balance wouldn't be bad. Long water fasts, I don't know--they can kick off a low cal diet but in the long run, well, they didn't work out all that well for me (since here I am).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

GDay2011 01-04-2011 03:03 AM

Thank Michael I appreciate your comments.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few days. This first day so far has been easy! I did gorge myself on food last night so thats probably helped me today.

I don't think I could manage a week without food!!! But may play it by ear. I am playing 36 holes of golf on friday so was planning to eat between rounds so only fast today tomorrow and thursday really.

I was only thinking of doing it for today but now I feel fine I want to extend this.

Thanks again Michael

mecompco 01-04-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by GDay2011 (Post 30415)
Thank Michael I appreciate your comments.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few days. This first day so far has been easy! I did gorge myself on food last night so thats probably helped me today.

I don't think I could manage a week without food!!! But may play it by ear. I am playing 36 holes of golf on friday so was planning to eat between rounds so only fast today tomorrow and thursday really.

I was only thinking of doing it for today but now I feel fine I want to extend this.

Thanks again Michael

I hope some other folks will contribute--I'm not expert on the topic. I did do some research and reading before taking on the long fast. And, people have fasted for various reasons for thousands of years.

Of course, I'd always recommend talking to your Dr. before doing any of this (not that I ever did) but a week seems pretty reasonable and from my experience didn't get into the muscle cramp issue. Do drink lots and lots (and lots) of water it that's the way you're going. I think you'll really like the feeling if you keep it up.

Regards,
Michael

MunaAmin 01-04-2011 04:55 AM

I did not do any research, but I'd like to contribute with my experience. I fast every year for 30 days, the fast starts at dawn and finishes at dusk. I eat breakfast, usually an egg wih some soda bread, and then an evening meal - fruit salad as a starter, then some rice with chicken. It's a great detox if you are hooked on caffeine (like i am for most of the year), since you don't want to drink coffee, and each year I lose about 10lb without doing much exercise, energy levels are up and my skin clears up.
You have to make sure you drink at least 2L of water (64oz) and don't continue on this regime for more than a month.

midwestj 01-04-2011 06:56 AM

The fat burning from fasting actually kicks in a lot sooner than that. Usually within 6 hours if I am not mistaken.

I started fasting for weight loss and for health as a lifestyle just recently. I picked up a book called Eat Stop Eat which has loads of good information backed by research.

The way I fast is 1-2 times per week for 24 hours. I normally start in the afternoon or evening after a meal. Then I fast for 24 hours until that same time the next day when I break the fast.

The important thing is not to go through famine and feasting cycles. Its important to eat as you NORMALLY would when breaking a fast or on the other days of the week. If you over eat you can cancel out any of the fat burning that took place by storing extra calories from overeating.

Longer fasts are certainly effective, but more difficult. They also don't take into account the perspective of weight lifters and strength trainees who need to be constantly refueling their bodies.

For me fasting is a permanent solution to weight loss and weight management. I eat healthy 90% of the time, and have my treats 10% of the time, along with 1-2 24 hour fasts per week.

Some of the major benefits for me have been being freed from calorie counting, weighing my food, constantly cooking/cleaning/eating multiple meals a day, worrying about protein consumption and nutrient macros. All of that is gone now, I just eat healthy whole foods with an occasional fast. It is liberating to say the least.

GDay2011 01-04-2011 08:17 PM

Midwest you have me sold mate!!!

So that I have your fast correct, you'll eat say at 6pm for a dinner then fast from 6pm to 6pm the next day and then have dinner again?!?

RunbikeSki 01-05-2011 12:48 PM

Occassional fasts work well for me.

I have used 3 to 7 day fasts to kick-off a reduced calorie diet program several times over the last few years. Sometimes I have used a juice fast and recently I did the "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade" diet.

It seems to have several benefits for me. As noted above, once you get past the first 2 days the hunger pangs do deminish - although for me they never totally go away. I definitely get the energy boost tauted by many, and it makes me examine my normal eating and drinking habits carefully and assess what I can, or need, to give up for a while. It also makes me realize how pervasive food advertising and the availability of food (mostly fast food) is. I never realized how bombarded we are with it until I stopped eating for a while.

My main reason for beginning a low calorie cycle with a fast is that I find it easier to say "no" to everything and then add back in the good foods I plan to rely on for the next couple of months, rather than continuing to eat nearly normally, but saying "no" to a few of the "bad" foods.

For the record I have pretty good eating habits, don't eat much fast or processed food, but I am a true "foodie" and like to eat well. I also don't really think that there are any "bad" foods, just some foods should be reserved for special occassions. In general, portion control is mostly the issue for me and I have a tendency to drink a little more good beer and wine then I should given my size and gender (smallish female), if I am not paying attention.

I definitely lose a few pounds quickly, but about half of them come back as soon as I resume more normal eating habits. But the good feelings of energy and vitality stick around. I do recommend fasting, but contrary to popular advertising, I don't think that it is some miracle csure, just another tool in the tool box.

mecompco 01-05-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 30680)
I have used 3 to 7 day fasts to kick-off a reduced calorie diet program several times over the last few years. Sometimes I have used a juice fast and recently I did the "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade" diet.

It seems to have several benefits for me. As noted above, once you get past the first 2 days the hunger pangs do deminish - although for me they never totally go away. I definitely get the energy boost tauted by many, and it makes me examine my normal eating and drinking habits carefully and assess what I can, or need, to give up for a while. It also makes me realize how pervasive food advertising and the availability of food (mostly fast food) is. I never realized how bombarded we are with it until I stopped eating for a while.

My main reason for beginning a low calorie cycle with a fast is that I find it easier to say "no" to everything and then add back in the good foods I plan to rely on for the next couple of months, rather than continuing to eat nearly normally, but saying "no" to a few of the "bad" foods.

For the record I have pretty good eating habits, don't eat much fast or processed food, but I am a true "foodie" and like to eat well. I also don't really think that there are any "bad" foods, just some foods should be reserved for special occassions. In general, portion control is mostly the issue for me and I have a tendency to drink a little more good beer and wine then I should given my size and gender (smallish female), if I am not paying attention.

I definitely lose a few pounds quickly, but about half of them come back as soon as I resume more normal eating habits. But the good feelings of energy and vitality stick around. I do recommend fasting, but contrary to popular advertising, I don't think that it is some miracle csure, just another tool in the tool box.

I didn't get into this, but yes, fasting can really help you (well, me at least) break some bad habits. Now, as to hunger, I'm not sure if you did just water? I've a feeling that if you consume "some" calories (such as juice) that you're going to stay hungry.

Good point about the advertising--I noticed the same bombardment of food ads on TV--it's crazy.

So, fastings certainly not for everyone and as a purely weight-loss strategy I don't think it's a good idea but if you want to do it for "cleansing", breaking bad habits, etc. it can be a good experience.

Disclaimer: Always do this under a doctor's supervision.

Regards,
Michael

DetroitBreakdown 01-05-2011 11:41 PM

This is a fascinating topic. I've never been attracted to fasting, mostly because I assumed that it would have a negative effect on metabolism, putting you into some kind of starvation mode. This discussion makes me want to research it more.

I don't really view it as a weight-loss strategy for me, but the side benefits sound interesting. I also think it sounds liberating and likely to produce a different mindset.

Can anyone with experience talk a bit more about exercising while fasting? I would be concerned about muscle loss, and wouldn't want to disrupt my routine too much, or make it harder to get back to "normal."

Also, can anyone comment if there are any effects that would interfere with daily activities, especially work?

Thanks all!

mecompco 01-06-2011 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown (Post 30739)
This is a fascinating topic. I've never been attracted to fasting, mostly because I assumed that it would have a negative effect on metabolism, putting you into some kind of starvation mode. This discussion makes me want to research it more.

I don't really view it as a weight-loss strategy for me, but the side benefits sound interesting. I also think it sounds liberating and likely to produce a different mindset.

Can anyone with experience talk a bit more about exercising while fasting? I would be concerned about muscle loss, and wouldn't want to disrupt my routine too much, or make it harder to get back to "normal."

Also, can anyone comment if there are any effects that would interfere with daily activities, especially work?

Thanks all!

I'm surprised this thread hasn't got more interest--fasting generally brings out the naysayers and extremeists both pro and con.

All my personal experiance is with "0 calorie" water fasts, so those who "fast" while taking in some calories may want to chime in.

Will you go into "starvation mode"--yeah, I'm sure--but "starving" people, well, "starve" and lose weight. You'll go through ketosis and I'm sure some our more biologically knowledgeable folks can add details but you'll start using fat for fuel. From what I understand, eventually you'll start to lose some muscle as well, if your not using it.

I did modest exercise through my fasts--really, the energy level isn't that bad. As I mentioned, you can get light headed if you stand up quick, especially, so keep that in mind. You will need to drink LOTS and LOTS of water.

If you do a longer fast, you need to ease back into eating--I usually started back with some OJ mixed with water for a day, then perhaps some yogurt and juice the next day--basically take a few days to get back to solid food.

As to daily function, well, you will be urinating a LOT, so if that's a problem at work fasting is probably not for you. You'll have some bad breath as the toxins work their way out of you.

You will find that your senses are greatly enhanced--tastes and smells become much stronger. I tried to take supplements when I fasted but the taste was just unbearable after a couple of days. The first time I fasted for a long time (the first 30 day fast) I did drink some black coffee but after a few days couldn't stomach it any more so went to just water.

I assume the eventual muscle cramps are due to electrolyte imbalances and probably muscle loss. I'm sure these would be avoided if one could stomach nutritional supplements.

Will you gain some back when you start eating again? Sure. You'll be taking in a certain weight in food and you'll start retaining some fluid again.

I'll say that if you undertake this, you will learn a lot about yourself and about how habit-driven most of our eating is. And, how darned much time we spend thinking about eating, preparing to eat, eating and cleaning up after eating.

I hope this helps, but remember, this is just my own personal experience and I have failed all previous attempts to keep off the massive amounts of weight I have lost. So do your research and take my experiences for what they're worth.

Regards,
Michael

RunbikeSki 01-06-2011 05:19 AM

"I'll say that if you undertake this, you will learn a lot about yourself and about how habit-driven most of our eating is. And, how darned much time we spend thinking about eating, preparing to eat, eating and cleaning up after eating."

I totally agree with this. I am a pretty introspective person in general, but fasting really brought food and eating habits into focus.

As far as exercising. I do tend to slow down a bit. As you might have guessed by my screen name, I am pretty active especially with outdoor sports. So fasting a hard training for a half marathon are not really compatable for me. But I usually continue with the running, and have never turned down an opportunity to hike, ski, bike... whatever, with friends just because I am on a fast.

I have found it a little difficult to go about my normal workday ruitine, however. Just too many cues and triggers to surrounding food. For example, for most working folks lunch time is an important part of the day. It can be, almost, a ritual. So I usually do my fasts when I am out of my normal ruitine, vacation, long weekends, or when I am working at home for a while, etc. I am very fortunate that my work allows me such flexibilty.

Sometimes I treat the fast like a week at the spa (not that I have ever had the chance to go to an actually spa). Lots of moderate exercise, reading, thinking, and writing. (I am a research scientist so "publish or perish" is a reality.) Again, my work enables we to do this and I know not everyone can, but most folks can find a little time and work around their normal schedule to work in periodic fasts.

I am really glad this thread was started. I have thought about beginning one for a while now, but as mecompco noted, there is so much controversy associated with fasting I didn't want to stir the pot too much.

mecompco 01-06-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 30814)
I am really glad this thread was started. I have thought about beginning one for a while now, but as mecompco noted, there is so much controversy associated with fasting I didn't want to stir the pot too much.

Yes, me too. And even though I've ceased fasting for weight loss purposes, it really is something that should be experienced at least once (medical aspects permitting). If you do, you will foreverafter chuckle to yourself when someone claims to be "starving" in they've had to skip a meal for whatever reason.

Personally, after the first few days, I really could not have cared less about food. I went to restaurants with family and friends and sat there and drank my ice water while they ate.

I will say that into, oh, the middle of week three beginning of week four I started to think about food again. Really not hungry, per se, but thinking I "should" be eating. I really could have gone beyond the 30 days had it not been for the muscle cramps. I decided at that point that I should probably listen to my body and slowly break the fast. That first sip of watered down OJ is probably one of the best things I have ever tasted!

Regards,
Michael

midwestj 01-06-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by GDay2011 (Post 30552)
Midwest you have me sold mate!!!

So that I have your fast correct, you'll eat say at 6pm for a dinner then fast from 6pm to 6pm the next day and then have dinner again?!?

Yep this is the exact structure. I usually do it Thursday and Sunday or just Sunday.

When I fast I just mentally accept that I am not eating because I am fasting, if I do get any hunger pains which is very rare, they go away in less than a few minutes.

I still try to eat all healthy and whole foods when I am not fasting, but I use the listen to my body approach. The bonuses are eating larger meals, eating breakfast lunch and dinner, feeling real satisfaction from larger meals, being able to eat dessert, being able to go out to eat and order anything.

One great thing about this fasting is that you can use it to lose weight and you can also use it to maintain health. Fasting has a lot of health benefits. It also works fantastic for maintaining lean physiques or healthy weights.

If you are sincerely interested in fasting for weight loss and possibly as a lifestyle for good health check out the book Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.

mecompco 01-06-2011 06:00 AM

Ah, Jason, I see what you're doing--the "one meal a day" thing. I guess I misunderstood. I've done that in the past, and it works well. When I lost weight as a teen I did "one meal a week" for a while and eventually moved to "one meal a day". It is great--you can tank right up for supper and still lose/maintain weight!

I don't think that's right for me now, but it does have merit. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Michael

midwestj 01-06-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown (Post 30739)

Thanks all!

I have exercised and lifted weights while fasting, it really is no different. Sometimes it is better because 100% of your energy is going into the workout, instead of into food and digestion.

Without going into too much detail. When you are fed you are in an insulin dominant metabolism. When you are fasted you are in a growth hormone dominant metabolism. Growth hormone is an anabolic hormone, it protects muscle mass and causes fat stores to be released.

Even on long fasts people do not lose muscle or have decreased metabolism. The muscle VOLUME may go down because of losing water and glycogen, but the muscle cells are still there and can regain their volume. Metabolism is the calorie cost of keeping all your cells alive, just because you don't eat doesn't mean it has been decreased.

I keep seeing people say that it is not a weight loss strategy for them, I maybe thought that in the past too. But when you realize counting calories and having 4-6 meals a day is incredibly invasive in your life while throwing in a couple fasts a week while just consciously making attempts to improve your food choices is a great way to lose weight with low overhead.

After trying both calorie counting and fasting, I don't believe one is better than the other. I do believe that fasting is easier. I don't have to worry about protein and nutrient macros every time I eat, I don't have to say no to grandmas cookies etc...

There are a lot of health benefits to fasting as well. Like purging damaged cells, detoxification, increasing insulin sensitivity, balancing your hormones. Its a long list, check out the book Eat Stop Eat!

midwestj 01-06-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 30827)
Ah, Jason, I see what you're doing--the "one meal a day" thing. I guess I misunderstood. I've done that in the past, and it works well. When I lost weight as a teen I did "one meal a week" for a while and eventually moved to "one meal a day". It is great--you can tank right up for supper and still lose/maintain weight!

I don't think that's right for me now, but it does have merit. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Michael

Its not a one meal a day approach. I eat normally every day. 3 meals + snacks. Sometimes more.

I fast once or twice a week for 24 hours. I never go a complete day without eating. Today I am going to eat a meal at 2pm and begin a fast, I won't be eating again until tomorrow at 2 pm at which time I will resume eating. My next fast will likely be Sunday.

tandoorichicken 01-06-2011 06:59 AM

I've never done a long-term fast but I can tell you that ever since I abandoned consciously eating breakfast, lunch and dinner I have tremendously boosted my energy and mood levels. My style of eating I suppose mirrors Martin Berkhan's Leangains protocol, where every day consists of a 16 hour fast followed by an 8 hour window of feeding, although I was doing it long before I heard about Leangains.

The way this works for me is I eat lunch around noon, then graze / snack intermittently until dinner around 7 or 8. Then I'll just have water until bedtime. When I wake up in the morning I'll have tea with a dollop of cream or coffee with a spoonful of sugar but that's all until lunch again. Since I strength train and I'm in a size phase now, I have to get in all my calories in that window, but I'm still planning on a 36-hour fast later this month.

DetroitBreakdown 01-06-2011 02:47 PM

This is all very interesting. I'm big on new experiences, so definitely want to give maybe a 2-4 day water-only fast. I think I'll double check with my doc first just to make sure he doesn't think I have anything to worry about due to my own medical state.

Michael, you mentioned supplements. I normally use a multi-vitamin and a vitamin D supplement. Would it interfere with the process if I continue to take these, assuming I can choke them down?

Also, Michael, you mentioned drinking LOTS of water. I've been slacking a bit on water lately, closer to 120oz than the 160oz I'd like to get. Are you talking about more than that? Would green tea interfere with the process as far as you know?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

mecompco 01-07-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown (Post 30926)
This is all very interesting. I'm big on new experiences, so definitely want to give maybe a 2-4 day water-only fast. I think I'll double check with my doc first just to make sure he doesn't think I have anything to worry about due to my own medical state.

Michael, you mentioned supplements. I normally use a multi-vitamin and a vitamin D supplement. Would it interfere with the process if I continue to take these, assuming I can choke them down?

Also, Michael, you mentioned drinking LOTS of water. I've been slacking a bit on water lately, closer to 120oz than the 160oz I'd like to get. Are you talking about more than that? Would green tea interfere with the process as far as you know?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Well, as I mentioned before, I only draw on some Internet research (hey, if it's on the Internet, it has to be accurate, no?) and my own experiences, so here goes:

I don't think green tea w/no additives would be a problem--you may, though, find that you can't stomach it after a few days.

You will WANT to drink water. There were days I went through a couple gallons (or more). Just constantly had a mug of ice water going to sip. Of course, guzzling a gallon would probably be bad, but sipped more-or-less constantly over 16 hours--not bad. With a short fast, you might not be inclined to drink so much, but consider that we get quite a lot of moisture from our food as well, and you won't be getting any of that.

The supplements were not "too bad" for the first few days. Once you get cleaned out, though, your senses really become more acute. You might not get this on a short fast. All you can do is try it and see. If those vitamins don't set well, don't do it again.

Good idea to talk to your doctor first. Hopefully he/she is open minded and will give you the go-ahead assuming any medical conditions won't prevent it.

If you decided to do it, let us know how you feel. And don't give up on day one--it is by far the toughest!

Regards,
Michael

GDay2011 01-07-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 30819)
Yep this is the exact structure. I usually do it Thursday and Sunday or just Sunday.

When I fast I just mentally accept that I am not eating because I am fasting, if I do get any hunger pains which is very rare, they go away in less than a few minutes.

If you are sincerely interested in fasting for weight loss and possibly as a lifestyle for good health check out the book Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.

Thanks Jason

I had been looking online at eat stop eat. Don't really fancy paying for opinions. I presume it has diet information in there too?

That's the only part I'd be interested in so if you want to share it with me I'd be forever in your debt :)

midwestj 01-08-2011 06:46 AM

The book is a research based overview of how fasting effects the body and metabolism. If you want the information in the book I suggest you buy it.

Brad Pilon basically preaches simplicity in the book. There is food but not a laid out diet plan. If that is what you want I cannot help you.

That is all I will share.

P.S. If you want badly enough to lose the weight, you have to put in your own time and resources to find whats best for you.

GDay2011 01-09-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 31117)
The book is a research based overview of how fasting effects the body and metabolism. If you want the information in the book I suggest you buy it.

Brad Pilon basically preaches simplicity in the book. There is food but not a laid out diet plan. If that is what you want I cannot help you.

That is all I will share.

P.S. If you want badly enough to lose the weight, you have to put in your own time and resources to find whats best for you.

Fair enough!! :)

Another thing on fasting, I know people suggest it is a water only fast, what are the implications of drinking green tea whilst doing this and also chewing gum?!?

I'm trying to give up smoking so the gum (not nicorete, just normal) helps.

Thanks

midwestj 01-10-2011 07:12 AM

Green tea and gum should not interrupt the fast. Avoid food items and drinks with calories like soda, juice and specialty coffees.

I remember reading that anything around 15-20 calories is fine, like creamer for your coffee or diet soda. No solid foods.

GDay2011 01-10-2011 11:36 PM

Nice one Jason

mecompco 01-11-2011 12:17 AM

For a short term fast I think those things should be fine. If you go longer, you'll likely find that you can no longer stomach them and/or stand the taste. Also, they may set off hunger pangs, as artificial sweetners are known to do.

As I think I mentioned, I drank black coffee for a while on my first long fast--I probably also chewed some sugarless gum/mints. For the best experience, though, I think just simply going to water is the best bet.

Of course, to each his/her own--try it and see what works--make adjustments as neccessary.

Regards,
Michael

GDay2011 01-11-2011 12:22 AM

Cheers Michael

I've not eaten during day 2 times now but gorged a bit when getting home, also I drunk this weekend so I assume the 3lbs I lost last week will be back on this time tomorrow, so to smash a positive week next week I'll start my fast after my steak and veg dinner tonight and see through til at least friday evening. Also no booze this week.

Fingers crossed eh!?

mecompco 01-11-2011 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by GDay2011 (Post 31507)
Cheers Michael

I've not eaten during day 2 times now but gorged a bit when getting home, also I drunk this weekend so I assume the 3lbs I lost last week will be back on this time tomorrow, so to smash a positive week next week I'll start my fast after my steak and veg dinner tonight and see through til at least friday evening. Also no booze this week.

Fingers crossed eh!?

No booze! :eek:

Ha ha--yeah, I've had to scale WAY back--just too many calories, and it keeps the liver busy with the alcohol instead of processessing fat. Plus, I found out the hard way that losing 100+ pounds will cut way back on your tolerance. Drank two half gallons of my favorite micro brew at camp back in November, started the third and the next thing I knew I was face down on the table. :D

Three days should be good--really about the shortest fasts I've done were around a week. I know Jason is right into the 24 hour thing (I know, I know, it's not "one meal a day") and I see the merit in that, but with all due respect, doesn't seem like "real" fasting, if you see what I mean.

Let us know how it goes--you just might feel so good you want to keep going.

Regards,
Michael

midwestj 01-11-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 31520)

Three days should be good--really about the shortest fasts I've done were around a week. I know Jason is right into the 24 hour thing (I know, I know, it's not "one meal a day") and I see the merit in that, but with all due respect, doesn't seem like "real" fasting, if you see what I mean.

Michael that reminds me of when people say light beer isn't real beer lol.

I can see what you mean, but fasting for only 24 hours at a time is easy to fit in your life. I am unsure of how long fasts would or would not fit into a busy active life, but I know its not for me. But I certainly can get all the benefits of fasting without burning out on it or having it interfere with my life by fasting for short periods of time.

Fasting is simply choosing to abstain from food for a predetermined period of time.

The fasting I practice is a long term plan for fat loss and weight management. It is not a kick start to a weight loss diet, it is not a detox procedure, it is not a journey of self discovery. It is just a simple method of creating a weekly calorie deficit that has a low overhead cost.

RunbikeSki 01-11-2011 01:32 PM

I keep thinking I should pop back into this thread, but I don't really have anything substantive to add. I am, however, totally entertained by the conversation. You guys seem like much more disciplined eaters (or periodic non-eaters) than I could ever be. Not that I over eat much, nor do I make really bad choices, but do tend to be a kind of "what's for dinner tonight?" kinda of girl. Luckily I love fresh foods simply prepared and both the husband and I are great cooks. My fasts have to be well planned and prepared for, as noted earlier. But I guess that actually describes most of my life, come to think of it :rolleyes:.

I hear you about the booze consumption with a smaller body mass. After I loss 35lbs (20% of my body mass) during which I pretty much abstained from alcohol, we celebrated with a glass or 2 of a great chardonay with apps, and split a bottle of shiraz with a perfectly prepared steak - I don't remember the rest of the evening, but I hear it was great!

madpiano 01-18-2011 03:41 AM

I do something similar but all the time. I fast for 22 he's every day and have an eating window of 2 he's per day. It is losely based on the Neanderthal diet. Losely as I can't afford to go low Carb but I do cook everything from scratch and make sure I eat enough protein. I am on a tight budget and as a single mum to a teenager I can't afford to cook 2 different meals every night. I wont lose weight as fast as on low Carb and I know that if I eat too many carbs per meal that I am full but get hunger pangs the next day. At the moment I am losing weight too fast (5kg in 2 weeks). I might have to increase my calories.

bubber 01-18-2011 07:56 AM

I have investigated various Intermittent Fasting styles including ESE, Warrior Diet, Fast 5 and leangains. The science seems to make sense, so I've chosen the leangains approach, basically a 16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window (sometimes more like 18/6). I have previously tried the more common 5-6 small meals, but since I enjoy eating big meals, I was never really satisfied with 6 small meals. IF seems to fit my life style. I have lost some fat, my strength has not suffered and I have plenty of energy. I train early a.m. in a fasted state. I do use protein shakes to get enough protein and plan to begin using BCAAs before and after training.
Bob

Misery16226 03-20-2011 12:40 PM

After reading this whole thread, and much more information.. I've decided to do a mini-fast :)

2 days raw plain vegetables
1 day watered-down juice
2 days water
1 day of half water half juice, maybe some watered down chicken broth.
1 day of vegetables and maybe some meat broth (I'll make a little soup.)

Then back to solid food after that. I might actually take an extra few days to eat very lightly. I've chosen to do this way because I've read a lot about the effects and how the first time can be really scary for some people. As for me I do have an irrational weird paranoia that I'm hurting my body if I sustain from eating. This fast will help me get that fear out of my mind. Another problem i've read about is that when reintroducing yourself back to food can sometimes lead to a compulsive over-eatting. More so for a longer fast. This is why i've decided to do a very steady introduction to fasting and no steep slope from eating to not eatting , or reversed :)

noelminneci 03-21-2011 08:35 AM

I could never do that. Let us know how it works out for you.

Misery16226 03-22-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by noelminneci (Post 40592)
I could never do that. Let us know how it works out for you.

Will do.
I'm starting next week since I need to get a few things (more vegetables, some kind of broth, healthy juices.) and can't till next week. :)

OKAY UPDATE:

I tried to do this fast, planned it very well.. couldn't do it this time.
Just was too hard to do my workouts on an empty stomach. I got through the day of only vegetables , but only juices :(! I couldn't, I had no energy, and no self-control apparently. My mom made a wonderful low-cal cabbage/beef soup which I could smell simmering for hours and I devoured it for supper today after doing a wimpy workout (I sweat as if I was running 10MPH at only about 3-4MPH). So I guess fasting on juice just is too hard for me when I'm also trying to workout a lot. I can't imagine trying a water fast right now. Maybe I will try this again when I'm in better physical shape :) Still was a good experience. I learned that a food you normally don't even like becomes extremely tasty when you are very very hungry xD, I also learned that low-carb raw vegetables are not filling at all.

By the way I've also come across some research on fasting, and enemas (awkward I know...) anyways I am convinced that while doing a fast (especially a long one) its very important to do large enemas to flush out some of the toxins that are escaping into your colon so they aren't reabsorbed. It's supposed to decrease some of the unpleasant parts of fasting as well. I know this is a grim topic but I figure since its about health and fasting, might be good to share.

I'm going to stay on track with eating as natural, organic and healthy as possible, and slowly switching over to raw-diet as well. I think once my body gets used to eating this extremely healthy foods, I will be less toxic, stronger, have better self-control, and be able to do a fast more successfully. Also would help me if I were living alone, without food being offered to me.

Anyways props to anyone who can do a fast! It takes a lot of discipline.