FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Is keto good for your health (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/27402-keto-good-your-health.html)

Amyyjo 07-16-2019 08:48 PM

Is keto good for your health

I should have posted it on here but I was wondering what kind of diets or food choices would be good for sense I lose weight a want to maintain it and not gain.

dfk101 08-21-2019 01:36 AM

This may be a late response to your question. But I have been doing KETO for over two years now. There is a lot of talk back and forth about the value of the KETO diet. Here is my 2 cents worth.
Prior to starting the diet I weighed 216 lbs, male, 52 years old, 5'10" and terribly type 2 diabetic with an A1C of 8.2 since January 2000. My Doctor, because of my habits, was unable to get my numbers into good territory and was threatening insulin shots as the only way to subdue my blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides etc. After reading about KETO and having tried Atkins, South Beach, Eades diets on and off for years, I decided to give it a try. Within 3 months I lost 20 lbs. I was thrilled but wanted some confirmation if it was doing any good. I got my full round of blood tests. EVERYTHING dropped, while still using my medication. But they dropped so far that they took me off blood pressure meds, lowered my statin dose, and weakened my blood sugar medication. 6 months later I had lost another 15 lbs and they weakened my statin and blood sugar meds further. 1 year later they completely removed me from all medication. So in less than 2 years I was able to revert to normal what I was unable to do for 16 years.
To be fair, I had a greater incentive to get my numbers in control, and I was diligent about the diet. I increased my exercise and even took up weight lifting, mostly because the weight loss made my skin look saggy, but that is now reversed as well because the exercise has me in better shape now than I was 30 years ago. But my point is I used the KETO diet to lose the weight and jump start my recovery. So the question you asked, is it good for Your health. I would say YES.
Lately, I now am doing what would be better described as like Atkins Stage 4 Maintenance rather than pure KETO. I have allowed my daily carb intake to rise from say under 40 carbs a day to between 50-80 which is still considered low carb. Also I have allowed my protein intake to rise due to the fact I lift weights 3 times a week, That is not exactly KETO and while I am a firm believer in the power of the KETO diet, I think long term it could be difficult to maintain, not impossible, but certainly difficult. The carbs I eat now are generally good carbs. I monitor everything I eat on Fitday.com because my protein intake is just as important to regulate. I also have a doctor that told me to go this route in the first place and so it helps to have them behind you on this, a lot of doctors will try and talk you out of KETO based upon outdated nutrition information and myths. I am living proof it could be the key to your weight loss, if the diet works for You. If you can't live in its guidelines then You should try something that will. Personally I don't consider this a diet anymore. It is simply how I live.
Bottom line, I'm a huge fan who now has a normal A1C, skyhigh HDL level and all vital blood numbers in spec.
Good luck on whatever choice You make.

01gt4.6 08-21-2019 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by dfk101 (Post 141073)
This may be a late response to your question. But I have been doing KETO for over two years now. There is a lot of talk back and forth about the value of the KETO diet. Here is my 2 cents worth.
Prior to starting the diet I weighed 216 lbs, male, 52 years old, 5'10" and terribly type 2 diabetic with an A1C of 8.2 since January 2000. My Doctor, because of my habits, was unable to get my numbers into good territory and was threatening insulin shots as the only way to subdue my blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides etc. After reading about KETO and having tried Atkins, South Beach, Eades diets on and off for years, I decided to give it a try. Within 3 months I lost 20 lbs. I was thrilled but wanted some confirmation if it was doing any good. I got my full round of blood tests. EVERYTHING dropped, while still using my medication. But they dropped so far that they took me off blood pressure meds, lowered my statin dose, and weakened my blood sugar medication. 6 months later I had lost another 15 lbs and they weakened my statin and blood sugar meds further. 1 year later they completely removed me from all medication. So in less than 2 years I was able to revert to normal what I was unable to do for 16 years.
To be fair, I had a greater incentive to get my numbers in control, and I was diligent about the diet. I increased my exercise and even took up weight lifting, mostly because the weight loss made my skin look saggy, but that is now reversed as well because the exercise has me in better shape now than I was 30 years ago. But my point is I used the KETO diet to lose the weight and jump start my recovery. So the question you asked, is it good for Your health. I would say YES.
Lately, I now am doing what would be better described as like Atkins Stage 4 Maintenance rather than pure KETO. I have allowed my daily carb intake to rise from say under 40 carbs a day to between 50-80 which is still considered low carb. Also I have allowed my protein intake to rise due to the fact I lift weights 3 times a week, That is not exactly KETO and while I am a firm believer in the power of the KETO diet, I think long term it could be difficult to maintain, not impossible, but certainly difficult. The carbs I eat now are generally good carbs. I monitor everything I eat on Fitday.com because my protein intake is just as important to regulate. I also have a doctor that told me to go this route in the first place and so it helps to have them behind you on this, a lot of doctors will try and talk you out of KETO based upon outdated nutrition information and myths. I am living proof it could be the key to your weight loss, if the diet works for You. If you can't live in its guidelines then You should try something that will. Personally I don't consider this a diet anymore. It is simply how I live.
Bottom line, I'm a huge fan who now has a normal A1C, skyhigh HDL level and all vital blood numbers in spec.

Great information! Thanks for taking the time to share it!!

LiteFeather 08-21-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by dfk101 (Post 141073)

Wow, for over two years. I know some who can't stick to diets or other food eating habits for a long time. This is really great information!! Thanks so much for sharing with us :)

BrentFoust46 09-17-2019 10:05 PM

Go Vegan! I think nothing works better than a plan-based diet when it comes to losing weight. The vegan diet excludes most of the foods that are known to cause weight gain. I’d suggest go complete vegan and see the difference with a couple of weeks.

augustinewilliam 09-26-2019 04:16 AM

The keto diet is one hundred percent safe diet for you to endeavor. The diet is not only safe but additionally salubrious and salutary for you as it lowers the chances of you getting cancer or a heart attack. Many dietitians say that they suggest keto diet to many of their patients who have epilepsy. Studies show that the keto diet avails in controlling the seizures. The diet not only forfends you from the heart attack but it additionally helps you avoiding may cardiovascular disease.

beatbum 03-23-2020 08:20 AM

Yes but it is unreasonable unless it's a life-or-death situation. Using a keto diet just to lose body fat is silly. all you need is more discipline by not overeating. Not eating any kind of carbs is ridiculous. You are not going to be able to sustain it for very long. Very few people will.

ozzma 03-30-2020 01:25 AM

I'm using Keto as well and it's the only diet I've ever been able to lose on. Not being hungry is a real thing on keto. I get an emotional panic from hunger that hasn't happened. My cholesterol is perfect - my blood pressure is 96/60 which is what it was when I was a teen. My arthritis is under control and so is my fibromyalgia. No flares since I started keto. I've lost from 298 to 219 since July of 2019. I've been stalled for about 8 weeks. I've not stayed in perfect ketosis since January so I know the stall is my fault. I'm 60 yrs old and so very glad I made the change to keto - especially with this virus all around us.

Allayns 06-20-2020 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by beatbum (Post 141717)
Yes but it is unreasonable unless it's a life-or-death situation. Using a keto diet just to lose body fat is silly. all you need is more discipline by not overeating. Not eating any kind of carbs is ridiculous. You are not going to be able to sustain it for very long. Very few people will.

That is not true. On a keto diet one **does** eat some cabs. I eat a large variety of salad, leafy greens, mushrooms, radishes, cabbage, cauliflower (makes a great sub for potatoes or rice, can be used to make a pizza base), tomatoes... I stay below 20g total carbs per day which is not difficult at all. The beauty of a keto diet is that as you move into fat burning instead of glucose burning, your appetite is naturally controlled and a lot of will power is not necessary. I am a type 2 diabetic and I am now controlled by diet alone. I have been eating this way for years and do not find it irksome at all. In fact I eat better now than I ever did.

dadu01001 07-26-2020 10:14 PM

I too am a type 2 diabetic and started a low carb diet when I was told my A1c was 10.5. Within a month, eating 20 or less grams of carbs, my A1c came down to a 6.6, and I lost weight too. I am very happy and very satisfied eating this new way of life....and so is my husband. I too, have very healthy salads (with protein) for my lunch. I started out thinking "Low Carb Diet", then came to discover that I was following a keto diet, where I got a wealth of information and recipes. There are carbs in almost all foods, including fruits and vegetables, so it's safe to say, we do not do a zero carb food plan. We are eating healthier than we have ever eaten.

dav28grav 02-05-2021 12:36 AM

Hello! This diet didn't work for me, in general, it's individual. I read a lot of good reviews, as well as a lot of negative ones. Maybe I need to study more information, but so far this diet didn't work for me.

rachealbrown 04-11-2021 08:49 PM

It depends from one person to another. But not trying keto is the advice i would like to give. Try working out, do yoga, eat well for better health and wellness.