Starting low carb diet tomorrow >

Starting low carb diet tomorrow

Community
Notices

Starting low carb diet tomorrow

Old 04-14-2019, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Starting low carb diet tomorrow

Day 0: I’ve been doing a lot of research on low carb diets. I’ve decided to go that route. If anyone would like to join in; please do. It will be a “modified “ Bernstein diet.

the first days will be a bit rough I’m sure (getting used to the no-sugar “rule”) I anticipate having a head ache for a day or two.

Looking forward to hearing anyone’s tips or tricks.

Day 0 - 50 lbs

Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
FitDay Member

Hi there, I've started a keto diet on Saturday. I've done this before and lost 65 pounds. Then I had a baby and 8 months after got pregnsnt with twins. I've gained 35 pounds and can't fit anything. I have some 'cheats' that help me through:
-ketostix, the darker the line the more efficient your body is burning fat, for me it's very motivating to check this
-miracle noodles, when I'm craving carbs I'll make a stirfry and pour it over a bowl of 0 calorie, 0 carb noodles
-Dixiecarbcounters brownies & cupcakes.
-Waldon Farms 0 calorie products

My diet is leafy greens and protein. I supplement with good fats like portioned avacado, cheese, and olives. For desert I have chocolate protein drinks from Costco or sf jello with a scoop of protein powderto every box.
The taste of fitting my clothes is way better than any carby, sugary food or drink.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:19 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Starting low carb diet tomorrow

Are you referring to Keto diet
Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Started low carb today, and don't know if it's right.

I started today on low carb.
I did an online calculation which gave me the amounts of calories/fat/carbs/protein, below is the result.

Calories fat carbs protein.
1351 103 100 328

I have prepared my evening meal, and logged all in and my results for today are as follows,

Calories fat carbs protein.​1,474 94.0 57.8 102.3
I have gone over the calories, fat is fine, carbs low, but protein is way off target.
I have eaten well and feel satisfied,
chicken 225g, cauliflower, cheese 60g, 2 boiled eggs, mayo, lettuce,
mash, peas,mixed roast veg ,1/2 avocado, cucumber, tomatoes.

Am I getting enough protein?

Any advice or would ge welcome.

​​​​​​

Last edited by liverpoollynne; 05-21-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by manaslu
Day 0: I’ve been doing a lot of research on low carb diets. I’ve decided to go that route. If anyone would like to join in; please do. It will be a “modified “ Bernstein diet.

the first days will be a bit rough I’m sure (getting used to the no-sugar “rule”) I anticipate having a head ache for a day or two.

Looking forward to hearing anyone’s tips or tricks.

Day 0 - 50 lbs

Hi manaslu,
I am interested in joining in, I am at the bottom of the learning curve right now, but hoping to crack it.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Would be interested in an update on this. I think it would be really tough to go completely no-sugar.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

My advice - Don't 'overthink' doing keto style diets. I'm two months in, 32 lbs down, and enjoying it because I don't analyse every single thing that goes in my mouth any more. I simply try to cook with and eat as much 'good' fat - MCT oil (a form of coconut oil), avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, butter - as I can; I have some protein, usually some type of red meat; plus a small amount of 'good' carbs, usually veggies like asparagus, spinach or something from the cabbage family; and lastly I avoid sugar, in any of its forms. I try to think of sugar as the new smoking...

Avoid 'low fat' products since they almost all replace the fat with some form of sugar... (Sadly even the best, most natural, raw, unfiltered honey is just another form of sugar.) Get used to reading labels verrrry carefully since sugar comes in MANY forms you may not know the names of, and food manufacturers often use multiple types of sugar in the same product... Some artificial and 'natural' sweeteners can spike your blood sugar and insulin almost as badly as sugar does...

Having said all that... Remember, if you 'go wrong' here and there it's not a disaster - no one is perfect. My weight can fluctuate by several pounds day to day even if I'm doing everything 'right', and if I slip up somehow I know tomorrow's already less than 24 hours away...

Personally, I try to stick to organic, wild, or at least non-GMO/no antibiotics/'natural' choices - if I can afford and/or find them - ideally local products too.

Oh, and up your water consumption. A lot. Most of us are chronically dehydrated to some degree, and it helps make you feel fuller, may help flush out toxins and fat, and helps reduce the possible constipation issues you might have doing keto...

Last edited by TexnBrit; 06-11-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by TexnBrit
My advice - Don't 'overthink' doing keto style diets. I'm two months in, 32 lbs down, and enjoying it because I don't analyse every single thing that goes in my mouth any more. I simply try to cook with and eat as much 'good' fat - MCT oil (a form of coconut oil), avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, butter - as I can; I have some protein, usually some type of red meat; plus a small amount of 'good' carbs, usually veggies like asparagus, spinach or something from the cabbage family; and lastly I avoid sugar, in any of its forms. I try to think of sugar as the new smoking...

Avoid 'low fat' products since they almost all replace the fat with some form of sugar... (Sadly even the best, most natural, raw, unfiltered honey is just another form of sugar.) Get used to reading labels verrrry carefully since sugar comes in MANY forms you may not know the names of, and food manufacturers often use multiple types of sugar in the same product... Some artificial and 'natural' sweeteners can spike your blood sugar and insulin almost as badly as sugar does...

Having said all that... Remember, if you 'go wrong' here and there it's not a disaster - no one is perfect. My weight can fluctuate by several pounds day to day even if I'm doing everything 'right', and if I slip up somehow I know tomorrow's already less than 24 hours away...

Personally, I try to stick to organic, wild, or at least non-GMO/no antibiotics/'natural' choices - if I can afford and/or find them - ideally local products too.

Oh, and up your water consumption. A lot. Most of us are chronically dehydrated to some degree, and it helps make you feel fuller, may help flush out toxins and fat, and helps reduce the possible constipation issues you might have doing keto...
A lot of good advice here. What about people who have a very hard beginning transition? AKA - Keto flu?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

For initial few days, you feel a bit weak and probably hypoglycemic because you are depriving your body of carbs that provide energy. I’m trying to go the keto diet but it is really tough to get the right resources. I prefer eating whole-grain foods to get those good carbs with a lot of fiber.