Notices

Dr. Bernstein diet on my own

Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dr. Bernstein diet on my own

Hi everyone,
Today I'm going to start the Dr. Bernstein diet without going to the clinic and paying the high fees. I've done the diet before by going to the clinic and following the diet religiously, and it certainly does work. Because of the cost, I stopped going and fell off the wagon. This time, my husband is going to go to the clinic, and I will just follow the diet along with him. I'm going to try to find the b6/b12 injectables at Costco or a drugstore, and I will also take the potassium and multi-vitamins. I'm hoping that posting here on a daily basis will help keep me accountable. I've already cheated by adding cream to my morning coffee, but I can't do without it. Wish me luck!
Jan 5, 2015 - 197lbs
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck!

y
Old 01-06-2015, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Good luck to you! You'll do great by following those principles.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Day 3

So after 2 days on the Bernstein diet, I have lost 2.5 pounds, which is to be expected at the beginning of any intense diet. On my first day, I ate one piece of squirrelly bread with a piece of light Laughing Cow cheese, 2 x 1/2 grapefruit, a 100g Source Greek yogurt (nonfat), stir-fried shrimp with broccoli, onions and bean sprouts (with ginger, garlic, lemon juice and light soy sauce.) I may not be following this diet 100% to the letter, but I'm very close so far. I haven't yet found the vitamin B-6 injectable, but I do have the vitamin B-12. I'll start injecting when I find the B-6.

Jan 7, 2015 - 194.5lbs
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Day 4

Down another 2 pounds today - probably all water weight but that's okay. Yesterday I ate 1 piece of squirrelly bread, one piece laughing cow cheese, 1 orange, leftover shrimp stirfry, vegetarian chili with beans aaaaannnnddd had a mini-meltdown (well kind of a major one) at bedtime and got into the Christmas chocolates....

Oh well today is another day! I was able to order the B6 online, next step is to get the syringes and needles. This should be quite the adventure.

Jan 8, 2015 - 192.5
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Day 5

So I got the syringes and alcohol swabs, and gave myself the vitamin B-6/B-12 injection this morning. I'm trying to follow the Dr. Bernstein diet as closely as possible and since my husband is going to the clinic for weigh-ins and injections, I'm going to do the injections at home. Down another pound today and feeling great. I exercise 5 days a week (when I went to the Bernstein clinic two years ago, the doctor there encouraged me to exercise.) I'm also taking the Swiss formula multivitamin and will start taking the potassium pills as well. I think the portion size of my meals may be too big as I'm not always weighing my food. I'll have to watch that.

Jan 9, 2015 - 191.5
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Day 8

I took a break from posting over the weekend. The weight loss is steady at about 1/2 pound a day.
On Friday night for dinner I made pulled chicken with tortillas for the whole family (really just chicken with salsa on Bernstein approved Smart Tortillas.) Leftovers on Saturday, and the once-a-week approved beef on Sunday. I couldn't prevent my husband from stopping off at a family-type restaurant on Sunday for lunch - he insisted he was starving and couldn't wait until we got home. Well he had a veggie wrap with chicken but refused to ask for it without cheese and aioli. Also he went out for breakfast with a friend on Saturday and just couldn't find anything suitable to eat so just went ahead with the full grand slam! Needless to say when he went in to Bernstein for his weigh-in this morning, he had gained weight since Friday! I thoroughly scolded him without rubbing it in that I had continued to lose.

Jan. 12, 2015 190lbs
Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

That is why I think you should start gradually with every diet or different eating habits. I don't see a point of diets if after it, you just return back to your old meals. You will return your pounds right away and you may even add some.
My advice is - start to search some healthy foods that you may like and include them in your meal every day!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mysachi
I took a break from posting over the weekend. The weight loss is steady at about 1/2 pound a day.
On Friday night for dinner I made pulled chicken with tortillas for the whole family (really just chicken with salsa on Bernstein approved Smart Tortillas.) Leftovers on Saturday, and the once-a-week approved beef on Sunday. I couldn't prevent my husband from stopping off at a family-type restaurant on Sunday for lunch - he insisted he was starving and couldn't wait until we got home. Well he had a veggie wrap with chicken but refused to ask for it without cheese and aioli. Also he went out for breakfast with a friend on Saturday and just couldn't find anything suitable to eat so just went ahead with the full grand slam! Needless to say when he went in to Bernstein for his weigh-in this morning, he had gained weight since Friday! I thoroughly scolded him without rubbing it in that I had continued to lose.

Jan. 12, 2015 190lbs
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2004.

I was controlling the diabetes with diet and exercise. What I mean by diet is the one I was advised to adopt

by the diabetes dietician, i.e. to avoid high GI carbohydrates - which I now know to be insufficient to

normalise blood sugar levels.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Dr. Bernstein diet until July 2013. I bought his book immediately &

started the diet in August 2013.

I have never been over-weight, but I do have sleep apnea & my vitamin D level was low; both of which I've

heard can cause diabetes.

Before starting the Bernstein diet, my weight was about 58 kg (= 128 lB) (we use metric in Australia).
After a couple of months on Bernstein's diet, my weight went down to about 52 kg (115 lb).
So I increased my energy intake (more fats) & I'm now 62 kg which is about the middle of the normal range for

my height.

Since starting the Bernstein diet, my HbA1c levels have reduced progressively from 6.3 to 5.8.

My GP (doctor) is aghast with the Bernstein diet (she said that "he may be a quack"), so I have been looking

for a GP who will help me with it.

Late last year, ABC television - in one of it's excellent "Catalyst" programmes - screened interviews with

people who recommend the Low-Carb Hi-Fat diet (LCHF).

It was apparently inspired by a series of talks by various experts given in Melbourne in August last year.
Here is the link to those talks:-
youtube.com/watch?v=9BFRi-nH1v8&list=PLrVWtWmYRR2CSIwJs3jUpuwO7TLslIGpJ&inde x=3.

One of the experts who spoke is a GP named Dr. Zeeshan Arain who does treat people who are doing the LCHF

diet.
So I made an appointment with him & he told me that my control of diabetes is remarkable given that I'm not

taking any medication & I have had diabetes since 2004.

You said in one of your posts that you are injecting vitamin B6 & are intending to inject B12. What do these

vitamins do?

Some years ago, my wife had chronic fatigue & was advised to inject B12. She did this for a year or two

until a naturopath told her that B12 is available as a mouth spray. She found that the spray is just as

effective as the injection, but of course it is much more convenient.

For those who want to lose weight, I recommend the books written by an Australian lawyer David Gillespie;

"Big fat lies", "Toxic oil", "Sweet Poison" & "The Sweet Poison Quit Plan". I have read the first 3 but not

the forth as I gave up sugar many years ago & now I don't like the taste of foods that have sugar in them.

I have attached a scan of his story for your information.

Len
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sweet Poison rear cover.jpg (102.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Kathy13118; 02-08-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Day 10

Getting in the groove now, with no desire to cheat. By cheat I mean eating fries or chocolate etc. I admit I do use a little olive oil for the stir-fry, as I really found the last time I did Bernstein that it was too low fat.

So a bit of a pattern for eating is:
Breakfast
1 slice squirrelly bread with Laughing Cow cheese (although hubby was told this morning that Laughing Cow has been taken off the allowed food list)
1/2 grapefruit
coffee (with a little cream)

Lunch
leftovers from dinner the night before or veggie/bean or lentil soup

Dinner
shrimp stirfry or chicken/broccoli etc

Snack
yoghurt (this is new to the allowable food list - couldn't have yoghurt last time)

I was searching for Bernstein blogs online and I found one which suggested chopping an apple, heating it in the microwave with cinnamon, and having with yoghurt. I just tried it and it was absolutely decadent. So I've already had my fruit quota for the day (for me that's a good thing because I don't really like fruit.)

I'm checking my urine with ketostix on Mon, Wed, Fri and it is showing good evidence of ketosis.

Jan. 14, 2015 - 188

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.