Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
So has anyone here tried the MicroTargetDiet app? >

So has anyone here tried the MicroTargetDiet app?

Notices

So has anyone here tried the MicroTargetDiet app?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default So has anyone here tried the MicroTargetDiet app?

I think this free app looks quite promising. I just heard about it recently and have been watching the videos for it.

It looks quite different from other diets I have tried. Just google “MicroTargetDiet” if you want to see what I mean.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like an intermittent fasting type diet...
Old 10-08-2018, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Default MicroTarget Diet is an app for intermittent fasting, the strict way

I took a look at it and quickly skimmed through some of the extremely long winded (several unnecessarily long hours) video instructions. As Kath said, it's just an app that intended to help you with intermittent fasting.

It's not free, despite what the homepage blurb implies. Beyond the first 21 day trial there's a subscription fee, currently $3.99/month. It no doubt does all kinds of elaborate calculations going on in the background, but after you set it up the screen looks like a very simple daily calendar that states if it's a fasting day or an eating day, plus lists the various target weights your profiles should be at on that particular day in order to reach your end goal weight on the right day. That's where the 'microtarget' thing comes in - it's a set of daily targets.

If you want to know more about the app, or - more importantly - the very successful eating pattern called intermittent fasting...

You start by setting things up on the app. You input your current weight and your future goal or target weight and target end date, plus a 'sleep time' - the hours you typically sleep for each night. You can also add various other profiles as well if you think you'll want to weigh yourself at other times of the day, say at work in business clothes or a uniform, etc. The guy behind the app says the target weight shown on screen on the eating days must be achieved before you can start eating that day, and suggests having more than one set of scales, even keeping some at work, etc, so I suppose you would need to add several profiles if you really wanted to use this app as he believes you should.

To be honest, I think the app is bordering on the obsessional. Intermittent fasting (or IF for short) isn't meant to rule your life like that and no diet (or eating pattern like IF) should do that either. Actually, many IF'ers don't weigh themselves at all, simply judging their progress by how they feel and how their clothes fit. For those who do weigh, the only thing that really matters is that the number on the scales gradually gets smaller as the weeks and months go by .

Intermittent fasting is exactly as the name implies. You eat 'normal' amounts of pretty much whatever you want one day, then have little to no calories the next, just drinking plenty of zero cal fluids. Rinse and repeat once, twice, or three times a week, or every other day if you like, for as long as you want to.

IF really does work very well if you stick at it. It's very simple to do, but to be successful you do need to get your head around the concept that the human body (without any underlying, serious health issues) can easily handle not eating for a day at a time (or even several) quite safely. It's vital to drink plenty of fluids, like water and other zero cal drinks, but as long as that rule isn't broken, a reasonably healthy person won't pass out or anything disastrous. No need to fear the fabled 'starvation mode' while IF'ing either.

The version of IF this app is designed for is very strict because you are not meant to consume any calories on fasting days, and you're supposed to fast every other day, indefinitely. The most common versions of IF allow you to eat something even on fasting or 'down' days. That's because some researchers studying fasting found many people think they can't manage a zero cal fasts for long. Typically the allowance suggested is up to 500 cals for women and 600 for men.

Having said that, the closer you can stay to zero the better it appears to be, not just for quicker weight loss, but apparently there may also be some health benefits as well. If you're interested in knowing what happens, do some Googling about it, in particular, look up 'ketosis'. There are some small studies that show the benefits appear to kick in at around 12 hours... Even if you're only interested in weight loss, eating little or nothing on 'down' days gives you a little more leeway to enjoy your eating or 'up' days.

Personally, I like to fast on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so I don't have to second guess myself about having lunch or dinner if we're out and about on Saturday or Sunday. Again, no matter what the pattern of IF, it's important to stay fully hydrated, but then again many of us don't drink enough every day anyway.

Unfortunately eating 'normally' on your 'Up' days doesn't mean you can eat excessively, 'pig out', go crazy, etc. (Actually, I don't think an occasional feast is a bad thing myself.) IF seems to be most effective if you stick within a range, eating at least your own BMR number but no more than your TDEE number. (Google for explanation and online BMR and TDEE calculators.) The good thing is that range is usually a lot more calories than a standard low cal diet allowance would be, and that's why many people find IF is much easier to sustain long term, or even permanently.

Once you hit your target weight you will hopefully have retrained your brain and appetite so you'll have a much better feel for roughly the maximum you can eat before you gain weight (That's the TDEE number or upper limit for your 'Up' days...) and hopefully you won't need to count calories anymore either. At that point you can switch to a maintenance pattern of fasting once or less a week, adding fasts back in if your weight starts to slide upwards again.

IF has became very popular over the last few years. Try Googling the Fast Diet, or the 5:2 Diet, or JUDD, and you'll find all sorts of variations, Facebook groups and other forums, etc.

As with everything else, your mileage may vary, and you should consult your doctor first (though if they don't know about IF and at least think it's interesting in principle I'd find a better educated one).

Last edited by TexnBrit; 10-08-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarity