FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Are you hearing us? Diets Shmiets! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/2680-you-hearing-us-diets-shmiets.html)

gallusgal 12-17-2010 01:34 AM

Are you hearing us? Diets Shmiets!

I understand the need for a quick fix, a 'diet', but please, check out the REAL success stories on here! Wake up! The only way to achieve sustained weight loss is to commit to a new approach to you.

It might take time, commitment and a little bit of dedication, but, in the long term, it means understanding your body. Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

I am going to bow out for a while. I feel that now I have reached my goal I am superflous. People say 'oh, tell us how you did it' and then i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.

Get your ass in gear. I have been too polite about this for such a long time, but, really?

I am still grateful to a lot of people here. Sick of listening to this 'diet' crap though and it's driving me mental.

LisaAnnie 12-17-2010 01:45 AM

Every living person is on a "diet"... a diet is what you put into your body. I think what you are trying to impress is about lifestyle & attitude. Good for you on your success, glad it works for you.

gmantych 12-17-2010 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28684)
I understand the need for a quick fix, a 'diet', but please, check out the REAL success stories on here! Wake up! The only way to achieve sustained weight loss is to commit to a new approach to you.

It might take time, commitment and a little bit of dedication, but, in the long term, it means understanding your body. Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

I am going to bow out for a while. I feel that now I have reached my goal I am superflous. People say 'oh, tell us how you did it' and then i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.

Get your ass in gear. I have been too polite about this for such a long time, but, really?

I am still grateful to a lot of people here. Sick of listening to this 'diet' crap though and it's driving me mental.

Some of us that asked for you advice truly wanted it and appreciate it. I am not on a special diet. I am working toward eating healthy. I am still trying to find what works for me. What keeps me satisfied and still loose weight. I don't read alot of post on the diet forum for the particular reasons you speak of but I am not going to let others bother me. I am here to soak up all of this great knowledge!! I dont think you should leave us!!

01gt4.6 12-17-2010 02:09 AM

gallusgal,

IMO too many people get caught up on the word "diet". I agree with Lisa Annie on this. I also applaud you on your success, gallusgal, but if I had to guess you did it by burning more than you consumed. This is known as a calorie restricted diet. No matter how you want to dress it up, it's still a diet. If I start bulking and eating at a surplus, guess what??? That's my diet.

I have people ask me all the time to tell them how I did it, but I don't get offended or bent out of shape if they don't do it my way. Why does it bother you so much if someone wants to try something other than what you did?

01gt4.6 12-17-2010 02:21 AM

I agree, people do need to get their asses in gear but I'm curious about....

Diets don't work, I know that! I tried every one out there.

i read daft threads about how you are all gonna sew your mouths shut, sip pregnant women's pee. or based on your starsign just eat one food element.

I take it that since you've tried EVERY DIET, then you've tried pregnant women's pee... and it didn't work?

mecompco 12-17-2010 09:32 AM

I should probably stay out of this, but, the bottom line is that the ONLY way to lose weight, other than cutting off stuff, is to burn more calories than you take in. Period. End of story.

Perhaps the ingestion/injection/insertion of various substances while maintaining a calorie defecit helps speed the process, perhaps not. As long as it's not harmful (one of my co-workers was part of the Phen-Fen settlement) and helps you lose weight, go for it!

Regards,
Michael

LisaAnnie 12-17-2010 07:13 PM

The basic equation never changes. [calories in] + [calories out] = loss/gain/maintain

The calories "in" part of the equation is the easiest thing to track and control.

The calories out part isn't quite as clear cut because there are factors that may make you burn more or less: gender, muscle mass, age, vocation, activitiy level, activity types, illness/disease, hormones, sleep quality, etc....

Losing excess fat & getting or staying fit are personal, personalized journeys, both outward and inward.

SailorDoom 12-17-2010 08:17 PM

I think what gallusgal might be criticizing is the pre-packaged diet plans that are marketed to people that want a quick fix. Itís not that the plan itself is wrong or lacking (although there are many cases where this could be debated), itís the approach that people take with it -- they want to be able to buy a book/get food items delivered/go to a meeting and have it all taken care of for them. Alternately, they want to severely restrict carbs/calories/saturated fat (or some other essential, unavoidable part of a "normal" diet) and experience success automatically.

I interpreted her post as a callout for sanity -- let's reel this in, get back to basics and figure out what diets are the most well-rounded, sustainable, nutrient rich and realistic for the most people. Let's spend our time and energy buying, preparing, eating and savoring healthy beautiful food that doesn't leave us feeling stressed, guilty, or deprived. If we feel the need to control our weight, let's do our research, enjoy the process, and be realistic about our expectations in relation the effort we're putting in.

In the end, I can't help but view this through an anthropological lens -- we're the only species that understands our own health and nutrition in both an experiential ("Yum!") and scientific ("Yum, sucrose!") way. Let's use our big brains and figure out how we got to the top of the food chain -- I guarantee it wasn't through Atkins, low-fat, HCG, or any other diet plan marketed toward those wanting to take better care of themselves. Let's build up good basic habits (like eating clean, nutritious, real food) before we start adding hormones, subtracting macronutrients or eliminating entire food groups. If we can't eat well in the most basic sense, we'll all be lost once the "diet" comes up against a road block or eventually ends. Commit to eating well and understanding how food plays a role in your life (not just on the scale, but in the field and on the table too). This commitment and understanding is essential to weight control, health, sustainability and (I think) happiness. As humans, it is our responsibility and privilege to have this type of control over what we put in our bodies.

That's just my two cents. But, then again, I'm kind of a hippie. :)

canary52 12-17-2010 08:21 PM

Gallusgal I feel your pain. I understand what Mike and others are saying but I think I get what you're talking about. I have been on every diet known to womankind (low fat, low carb, South Beach, WW, cabbage, and one which had me consuming so many bananas I swear I actually got banana poisoning) and I'm here to tell ya I'm sick of it. And I know it starts to get into semantic arguments about the definition of the word but the truth is some of us are tired of all the eating plans, all the gimmicks (see the "Invent your own diet" posts to know I'm not the only one.) And yes I know some are fads and some are real and some work for Ms A but not Mr. B but how do you separate the two and... PLEASE ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!

And I think a lot of us know what it's like to be desperate and to think of turning to anything to change our lives. But there are some ways that, even if they work, I personally find scary. I know HCG works for people but it just seems a little too extreme for me. That's me, y'all. You want to ingest or shoot or snort baby mama pee be my guest. Please. I'm all about choice.

At the end of the day, it comes down to calories in calorie out, to not indulging every hunger, to being mindful and to getting up and moving your butt in whatever meaningful way you can. Call it what you will folks!! Call it a diet! Call it Fred for all I care! That's the great secret!!! No need to climb the Himalayas looking for the ashtanga guru of fitness or seeking Yoda to ask how he got his tiny body and his big ol' ears or others who have succeeded where you have failed (tho I still do it all except maybe Yoda). And hey inspiration is cool (loved the running man Mike showed) but when all is said and done, you've got to find it in yourself.

Gallusgal, we need your voice of reason and sanity but I respect your decision to leave if all this makes you feel crazy. BTW there are a few others of shall I call it the "anti-diet" persuasion who feel like we do (check out the posts in the "Leaving Weight Watchers" thread, especially Noel's.)

Diet shmiet as you say. I still say there's this Oz I aspire to of eating without guilt, obssesion, tracking to the minute molecule and endless self scrutiny. If I am 90 and still counting carbs please just shoot me.

All best from a comrade in arms who just inhaled a whole bunch of chicken wings (and some other foodstuff lying around the kitchen) and will simply go to the gym tomorrow and try just that much harder.

Love Canary (AKA Hope, ironically my real name) BTW Amen, Sailordoom. Hippies, young and aging unite!!!

01gt4.6 12-17-2010 08:55 PM

Sailor & Hope,

I get what y'all are saying, I do. I think it was the delivery of the original message that really got my attention. It really sounded hostile, as if someone had rubbed her VERY wrong. I just thought that what others were doing, she was taking it way too personal.

I know we all get bent out of shape and different things bother different people. It's fine to vent (although I did have to edit her post, the message was still there). I just think that life is too damn short to get upset over how someone else chooses to lose weight.

The "invent your own diet" was started as a joke, to make light of a situation. It doesn't always have to be serious. We should be able to have fun while doing this.

Also, if person X wants to drink pee, by the gallon... I won't lose sleep over it, b/c I know I should focus on me and what I'm doing.

canary52 12-17-2010 09:37 PM

I know the invent your own diet thread was a joke, Mike, so was some of my post. Then again, as another thread says, there's a lot of truth in humor.

Obviously emotions run high on this subject. l know I've ruffled some feathers in some posts. But my feeling is that at our best, we are here to help each other. Someone's way may not be our way but we can get ideas and inspiration. Then the rest is up to us. Your focus, no matter what others say and do, is what I'd like to emulate. And just by reading posts, I can tell others find it inspirational too. You stopped making excuses and put in the hard work necessary to get the job done.

01gt4.6 12-17-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 28779)
I know the invent your own diet thread was a joke, Mike, so was some of my post. Then again, as another thread says, there's a lot of truth in humor.

I figured that you knew it was a joke. Maybe I'm just guilty of reading too much into gallusgal's post. When she made the comment of people sewing their mouths shut as I diet, I thought she was referring to that thread... where I was referring to holding your mouth shut with a plastic pill. Which was obviously a joke. But maybe there was another thread about sewing your mouth shut and someone was being literal, who knows.

Hope, I've offended my fair share of people too, that's just life. I've probably offended gallusgal by posting on this but that doesn't mean that I don't like her. I do I think she'll cool, I just didn't understand the hostility and those that know me, know I come right out with it. That's how I am, I don't sugar coat it.

I also took her post as saying that if you did a diet and lost weight then you weren't a "real" success, when she said

I understand the need for a quick fix, a 'diet', but please, check out the REAL success stories on here!

If someone goes on Atkins, HCG, Paleo, whatever and drops 20 pounds, am I going to look down my nose at them b/c I don't feel they are a real success? Nope.

It was only a few days ago that she reached her goal, and I'm proud of her for doing that... but you know what? I wasn't one of the people that asked her how she did it, b/c I didn't care how she did it. The point was that she did it and IMO that's what counts.

gallusgal 12-18-2010 12:44 AM

Good points all round. Thanks for the responses and yes, as someone who has been on the diet merry go round for years and has spent a fortune, I think I am entitled. WW, lost a lot of with in a eight week period, gained it all back on again. WW concentrates on Cals and sat fats, not sugar. Think of your body, it may need to reduce Cals and fats, but does it really need that much sugar?

Seriously, the list is endless, we need to feed our bodies with what they need, and no two bodies are the same. All I am saying is work on what's best for YOU.

I am sorry if I am coming across as loud and proud, but I have been on this merry go round for twenty years; I could write a book. Cabbage soup, WW, Atkins. etc etc etc..........they all have short term results, but does it matter if you can't sustain it?

Mike? I wasn't offended at all. I am sorry if my passion for the lifestyle commitment offends anyone, but I know from personal experience, dieting is easy, keeping the weight off is not if your mindset doesn't change too.

01gt4.6 12-18-2010 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28805)
All I am saying is work on what's best for YOU.

I couldn't agree more. I'm glad you came back.

gallusgal 12-18-2010 01:15 AM

oh, and Mike? There's no hostility here, just years (a lot of years) of frustration with diets. My communication skillls may not be the best, but my message is heartfelt and full of good intentions. I am sorry if I get carried away, I feel so strongly about this. :)

01gt4.6 12-18-2010 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28809)
oh, and Mike? There's no hostility here, just years (a lot of years) of frustration with diets. My communication skillls may not be the best, but my message is heartfelt and full of good intentions. I am sorry if I get carried away, I feel so strongly about this. :)

no need to apologize. :)

Primal-Lioness 12-18-2010 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28805)
Good points all round. Thanks for the responses and yes, as someone who has been on the diet merry go round for years and has spent a fortune, I think I am entitled. WW, lost a lot of with in a eight week period, gained it all back on again. WW concentrates on Cals and sat fats, not sugar. Think of your body, it may need to reduce Cals and fats, but does it really need that much sugar?

Seriously, the list is endless, we need to feed our bodies with what they need, and no two bodies are the same. All I am saying is work on what's best for YOU.

I am sorry if I am coming across as loud and proud, but I have been on this merry go round for twenty years; I could write a book. Cabbage soup, WW, Atkins. etc etc etc..........they all have short term results, but does it matter if you can't sustain it?

Mike? I wasn't offended at all. I am sorry if my passion for the lifestyle commitment offends anyone, but I know from personal experience, dieting is easy, keeping the weight off is not if your mindset doesn't change too.

I am not offended by your initial post as I am very passionate on how I feel regarding eating plans and such also.

Now with that being said.............

I have successfully done Atkins and maintained a 100 pound loss for years............Started in 2003 and lost 100 pounds in about 6 or 7 months. I maintained that loss until 2008 when I relocated half way across the country and had developed Thyroid issues. I was gaining weight then due to a medical reason, not over eating.

So Atkins does have more than short term results. Low Carb is a lifestyle that I can sustain and enjoy eating whole, natural foods and I know the number of carbs that I can eat and lose weight, maintain my weight and how many will make me start gaining again............

Now, fast forward to this past summer, my doctor put me on the HCG diet to line out my hormones. I have lost 38 pounds and have kept off 30 pounds. It has done more than make me lose weight. My monthly cycles are now occurring on a regular monthly basis.........The first time in my life ever.

So, until you have walked in my shoes or any other persons shoes that has partook or is partaking in an alternative weight loss program - do not judge as you don't know what that person is going through.

canary52 12-18-2010 06:10 AM

Maybe I read Gallusgal's post differently than others. I think it's great if people find what works and especially if they stick to it. But I know that people often do want quick fixes; I've wanted it myself at times. But then one day a former fitness instuctor I know said something to me that changed the way I looked at things. She said "You know, everyone wants to know how I got into the shape I'm in. They want to do this in months. It took me years.It's a long term commitment, not just two or three months." She made me understand what it takes -not that that knowledge changed things for me immediately. How could it? Change is slow sometimes; it's an up and down process.

Every time I started a new diet it was like I was starting my life over again. I was so excited every single time. But you know what? Once the newness wore off, so did my commitment to it. If you lost weight and got into shape on WW, Atkins, low fat, with HCG, whatever, then I appaud you. You found what works - for you. I couldn't necessarily walk in your shoes, even if I tried. They might not be my size. I have to walk in my own shoes.

I always liked to read writers' and artists' biographies. Each time I read about their methods, it sounded like the right way to do it. And it was - for them. What I am feeling might be right for me might not be any specific plan but just healthy food in reasonable amounts and given my physical limitations, the movement I can manage. Just like what SailorDoom described. And that's how I read Gallusgal's post. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

Primal-Lioness 12-18-2010 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 28836)
Maybe I read Gallusgal's post differently than others. I think it's great if people find what works and especially if they stick to it. But I know that people often do want quick fixes; I've wanted it myself at times. But then one day a former fitness instuctor I know said something to me that changed the way I looked at things. She said "You know, everyone wants to know how I got into the shape I'm in. They want to do this in months. It took me years.It's a long term commitment, not just two or three months." She made me understand what it takes -not that that knowledge changed things for me immediately. How could it? Change is slow sometimes; it's an up and down process.

Every time I started a new diet it was like I was starting my life over again. I was so excited every single time. But you know what? Once the newness wore off, so did my commitment to it. If you lost weight and got into shape on WW, Atkins, low fat, with HCG, whatever, then I appaud you. You found what works - for you. I couldn't necessarily walk in your shoes, even if I tried. They might not be my size. I have to walk in my own shoes.

I always liked to read writers' and artists' biographies. Each time I read about their methods, it sounded like the right way to do it. And it was - for them. What I am feeling might be right for me might not be any specific plan but just healthy food in reasonable amounts and given my physical limitations, the movement I can manage. Just like what SailorDoom described. And that's how I read Gallusgal's post. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

She is basically condemning everyone for using a specific plan and thinks it is taking an easy way out.

Atkins and the HCG plan are anything BUT an easy way out. It takes a huge committment, dedication and hard work - especially the HCG plan.

The HCG plan has helped me out tremendously in the arena of lining out my hormones and my endocrine system - more so than the weight loss. At the point I was at in July, the weight loss was merely an added benefit.

Lizzycritter 12-18-2010 11:51 PM

The problem with BOTH HCG and Atkins is there are a lot of people who SAY they are following these plans, but they are not. HCG drops under the tongue are bullsh*t, you cannot absorb a hormone in this fashion, if you could then diabetics would not need to take insulin by injection. Atkins does NOT mean you eliminate all carbs from your diet, either. And I don't think Gallusgal is saying anybody who follows a plan someone else designed is lazy, I think what she's saying is "fad diets" are dangerous and stupid, which they are. You cannot lose weight without putting in the effort, period. No book or pill will do the work for you. Whether you follow a prescribed plan or "do your own thing", the results you get out will equal the effort you put in.

I have a lot of other opinions on the HCG diet but in the interest of diplomacy, I will agree to disagree, and keep my mouth shut. If Primal-Lioness is happy and healthy, more power to her. We're here to support one another, not belittle each other, and there's no "right" diet any more than there is one "right" religion.

gallusgal 12-19-2010 01:01 AM

lizzy is right. We are here to support each other. And also, we are here, like it or not, to share our experiences. My experiences over the last twenty years have been : paying enormous amounts of money to external resources like WW, slimming world etc etc etc. They all work in the short term, that's why they are so successful.

They don't work in the long term, that's why we are here, looking for sustainable weight loss. You 'start a diet' is just an excuse to let yourself off the hook.

This is not a diet, it's a whole lifestyle change. Welcome aboard

Primal-Lioness 12-19-2010 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 28892)
The problem with BOTH HCG and Atkins is there are a lot of people who SAY they are following these plans, but they are not. HCG drops under the tongue are bullsh*t, you cannot absorb a hormone in this fashion, if you could then diabetics would not need to take insulin by injection. Atkins does NOT mean you eliminate all carbs from your diet, either. And I don't think Gallusgal is saying anybody who follows a plan someone else designed is lazy, I think what she's saying is "fad diets" are dangerous and stupid, which they are. You cannot lose weight without putting in the effort, period. No book or pill will do the work for you. Whether you follow a prescribed plan or "do your own thing", the results you get out will equal the effort you put in.

I have a lot of other opinions on the HCG diet but in the interest of diplomacy, I will agree to disagree, and keep my mouth shut. If Primal-Lioness is happy and healthy, more power to her. We're here to support one another, not belittle each other, and there's no "right" diet any more than there is one "right" religion.

Atkins is not a fad diet..............It is a lifestyle change. Anyone that has read the book (any version) would know how many times this is stated throughout the book.

As for HCG, I am not doing the under the tongue drops. I got the same HCG powder from my doctor and a mixing kit that I used previously when I was undergoing fertility treatments. Except the dosage for the HCG plan is way smaller than it was when I was using it for fertility treatments.

You are right, no matter what plan or design your own plan it is a LOT of hard work.

gallusgal 12-19-2010 09:47 PM

Are you seriously contemplating the rest of your life on this 'diet'? What happens next? Are you going to live the rest of your life like this? Or is a tolerable, self tailored and healthy option better?

01gt4.6 12-19-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28960)
Are you seriously contemplating the rest of your life on this 'diet'? What happens next? Are you going to live the rest of your life like this? Or is a tolerable, self tailored and healthy option better?

For some, Atkins may be tolerable. I couldn't do it b/c I love my carbs. But for someone that doesn't have a love affair with carbs, I could see how they could go their life low carbing it.

IMO that's like asking a vegetarian to eat meat or vise-versa. For some people that's the lifestyle, diet or whatever you want to call it that they choose to follow.

LisaAnnie 12-19-2010 10:57 PM

Someone with metabolic disorders and gluten intolerance would thrive on an Atkin's type, or similar low carb method of eating. Before industrialization or colonization, many indigenous people did very well on specialized diets and they quickly succumb to diabetes and other disorders when introduced to a modern diet. Just because one method works for one does not mean it's the best for all.

Lizzycritter 12-20-2010 03:27 AM

I agree, Atkins, WHEN DONE PROPERLY, is a sustainable diet. The problem is, many people out there take it upon themselves to just ditch carbs and CALL it Atkin's. One of the docs I work for has done Atkin's, properly, for years and he's probably the fittest guy I know. But when stuff like this is successful, it gets taken out of context and warped from what its original intent was. I can see HCG having the potential to even out a true hormone imbalance. I can't see HCG as a "miracle cure" that makes 500 calories/day feel like you just ate Thanksgiving dinner.

Primal-Lioness 12-20-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 28960)

To answer your question, YES, I intend to eat the rest of my life on a low carb way of life - a true lifestyle change.

Atkins got me started and it is easy to adhere to. However, once I have my hormones lined out and the weight is coming off easily again I will be actually going more strict than Atkins and finish my transition over to the Paleo lifestyle.

My body feels much better with no grains, beans, legumes, lentils and dairy.

So for me, I feel my best with a higher fat, moderate protein and low carb eating plan.

Regardless if you start out on a plan or whatever, when you get to maintenance you are basically tailoring the plan to fit your lifestyle and your own needs.

My husband happens to thrive better on Atkins because his body can tolerate grains, beans, legumes and dairy.

I, however, can not. So even though we are both on a low carb lifestyle - my eating plan is a lot more strict than my husbands.

Actually, the longer I am on a Atkins or Paleo type plan, the more I have gotten into changing my lifestyle, even down to making my own shampoo, soaps, body washes, and house hold cleaning supplies.

I am willing to bet that my husbands eating plan does not differ that much from yours unless you are eating a bunch of processed foods.

Primal-Lioness 12-20-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 28983)
I agree, Atkins, WHEN DONE PROPERLY, is a sustainable diet. The problem is, many people out there take it upon themselves to just ditch carbs and CALL it Atkin's. One of the docs I work for has done Atkin's, properly, for years and he's probably the fittest guy I know. But when stuff like this is successful, it gets taken out of context and warped from what its original intent was. I can see HCG having the potential to even out a true hormone imbalance. I can't see HCG as a "miracle cure" that makes 500 calories/day feel like you just ate Thanksgiving dinner.

I personally agree that is how ANY plan gets a bad name. When they say they are doing one plan when it is very far from the actual thing they are doing.

I have seen the same thing with regular old calorie counting on another website.

Any plan can be a healthy way to lose weight or it can be detrimental to a person's health...........

There are reasons why the books outline the plan in a specific manner.

Everyone follows some type of plan and just because it has a book that goes along with it doesn't make it a fad or unhealthy.

LisaAnnie 12-20-2010 06:39 PM

The good thing about following a "diet plan" and tracking it through a meduim such as Fitday is what one can learn about what works best for themselves. Then you can take that diet plan, and learn to use it as a lifestyle approach.

So basically, if one goes "on" a diet but doesn't learn and use it for lifestyle changes, then it's a temporary fix at best. I think that may be the point that gallusgal was trying to make.... and Primal Lioness is also proof that the learning approach works.

Primal-Lioness 12-20-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie (Post 29059)
The good thing about following a "diet plan" and tracking it through a meduim such as Fitday is what one can learn about what works best for themselves. Then you can take that diet plan, and learn to use it as a lifestyle approach.

So basically, if one goes "on" a diet but doesn't learn and use it for lifestyle changes, then it's a temporary fix at best. I think that may be the point that gallusgal was trying to make.... and Primal Lioness is also proof that the learning approach works.

Yes, in a way your are right about what Gallusgal was trying to get across, but it falls on deaf ears and eyes when one is putting others down for following a prescribed plan just because it comes from a mainstream book or manuscript.

Just doing your own thing does not equal success either.

LisaAnnie 12-20-2010 11:28 PM

Yep, I hear ya Lioness. We get there different ways, no sense putting down what works for another. Also, and I know from reading your posts you'll know what I mean, most people who don't have endocrine disorders cannot possibly understand the difficulty of finding what works. They'll tell you that you're just not trying hard enough, or not disciplined or patient enough.... and then when you do hit on what works, you get more static because it's "too radical". Good for you for finding your path!

WeightlossBoo 12-21-2010 08:09 AM

Urgh, I hate the term 'diet'. Every person I speak to about my weight loss asks me "Who did you lose it with?" I look at them vaguely until they start rattling off rubbish like "Weight watchers? Atkins? Slimming World?" And when I say that it's just me and the simple rule of less junk, more exercise = results, they all look like I've gone mad. If I have to listen to one more person tell me how they lost weight by sitting on their backsides, counting "points" or being good on their green/red days I will scream! The best thing is, half of them also told me that they've gained most if not all of the weight back. Whereas, apart from the usual fluctuations I haven't. People love throwing their money away, obviously. ;);)

rpmcduff 12-21-2010 03:26 PM

I understand where Gallusgal is coming from. While Mike(01gt4.6) hasn't taken the short term approach, many that 'diet' do. The Diet industry is forever telling people to follow the plan for just X number of days or weeks and you will be successful. Every week there are post on Fitday from people who used one plan or another and lost weight only to gain it all back. The problem isn't the plan, the problem is there is no long term. The diet industry doesn't want to admit that long term success means developing habits of moderation instead of an attitude of entitlement and over indulgence. Without these habits maintenance cannot be sustained.

I am not knocking any plan or book. I am simply expressing my belief that you can't solve a longterm problem with a short term plan. If you don't change your habits, attitudes and lifestyle you will condemn yourself to unsustained weight loss.

noelminneci 12-21-2010 04:06 PM

Ron, I agree 100%!... Noel

Primal-Lioness 12-21-2010 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rpmcduff (Post 29147)
I understand where Gallusgal is coming from. While Mike(01gt4.6) hasn't taken the short term approach, many that 'diet' do. The Diet industry is forever telling people to follow the plan for just X number of days or weeks and you will be successful. Every week there are post on Fitday from people who used one plan or another and lost weight only to gain it all back. The problem isn't the plan, the problem is there is no long term. The diet industry doesn't want to admit that long term success means developing habits of moderation instead of an attitude of entitlement and over indulgence. Without these habits maintenance cannot be sustained.

I am not knocking any plan or book. I am simply expressing my belief that you can't solve a longterm problem with a short term plan. If you don't change your habits, attitudes and lifestyle you will condemn yourself to unsustained weight loss.

I totally understand where you are coming from..........

However, this is where plans like Atkins, South Beach, any low carb plan and even HCG have the long term.........

These plans all have a start phase, middle phase and <GASP> a Maintenance phase...........

It is up to the individual person to read and research BEFORE embarking on any journey and decide if that particular plan is one they can follow through with from start to finish and complete the lifestyle change.

That is the whole point I am getting at.

I know lots of people that have lost weight doing it "their own way" and have gained it all back and then some.

I know people that have went through the hard work of all the phases of Atkins or HCG and have kept the weight off for years......... One such woman I know was on Atkins, transitioned over to HCG to lose the remainder of her weight - transitioned back over to Atkins and is now competing as a woman body builder.

She looks phenomenal!!

Diet merely means the food we eat, therefore EVERYONE is on a diet of sorts - unless you don't eat. :D

Primal-Lioness 12-21-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie (Post 29080)
Yep, I hear ya Lioness. We get there different ways, no sense putting down what works for another. Also, and I know from reading your posts you'll know what I mean, most people who don't have endocrine disorders cannot possibly understand the difficulty of finding what works. They'll tell you that you're just not trying hard enough, or not disciplined or patient enough.... and then when you do hit on what works, you get more static because it's "too radical". Good for you for finding your path!

Ha ha.............I totally agree LisaAnnie.

I have MAJOR endocrine issues - Adrenal gland fatigue, Pituitary tumor (which started shrinking with HCG injections), Thyroid issues, Diabetes and PCOS.

My whole endocrine system is a mess to be nice about it.

Low carb focusing on farm raised meats, eggs and loads of veggies is the only thing that works for me. Fruit is treated as a treat or as an occasional dessert.

I know how sensitive my body is to certain foods and it is up to me to stay away from those foods for better health and also to lose weight.

gallusgal 12-22-2010 01:37 AM

Woohoo, someone who actually agrees! I'll be honest people, I was throwing a cat among the pigeons with this thread. And I know also that some of you are losing weight steadily using Atkins, WW, Slimming World, etc, but the poitn I am trying to make is, with every 'diet' comes an end point, and not just my own experience, but friends and family members. you gain the weight back and usually more. And like boo, I feel slightly resentful for others taking credits for my achievements.

Having said that, I understand that everybody needs to start somewhere, and I don't want to take away from that. What I do want to emphasise is that to achieve real and sustainable weight loss, you might have to dig a little deeper and understand your body and individual needs a little better. Lioness, lisa anne, I don't know the first thing about endocrinal issues so I wouldn't even think of presuming about advice to give you.

However, I wouldn't follow anyone's diet plan without researching how it suits me to the letter.

I know I sound frustrated, but I have spent the last 16 years of my life overweight and unhappy and I don't want others to go through that unnecessarily. I might not be on much over the Christmas week, I have a plan to cope with the extra holiday food I hope you all do too. Merry Christmas xxxxxxxxxxxx

Primal-Lioness 12-22-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by gallusgal (Post 29189)
Woohoo, someone who actually agrees! I'll be honest people, I was throwing a cat among the pigeons with this thread. And I know also that some of you are losing weight steadily using Atkins, WW, Slimming World, etc, but the poitn I am trying to make is, with every 'diet' comes an end point, and not just my own experience, but friends and family members. you gain the weight back and usually more. And like boo, I feel slightly resentful for others taking credits for my achievements.

Having said that, I understand that everybody needs to start somewhere, and I don't want to take away from that. What I do want to emphasise is that to achieve real and sustainable weight loss, you might have to dig a little deeper and understand your body and individual needs a little better. Lioness, lisa anne, I don't know the first thing about endocrinal issues so I wouldn't even think of presuming about advice to give you.

However, I wouldn't follow anyone's diet plan without researching how it suits me to the letter.

I know I sound frustrated, but I have spent the last 16 years of my life overweight and unhappy and I don't want others to go through that unnecessarily. I might not be on much over the Christmas week, I have a plan to cope with the extra holiday food I hope you all do too. Merry Christmas xxxxxxxxxxxx

I totally understand where your coming from, but plans like Atkins and South Beach have no place in saying that come to an end..........those plans are designed to never go off, hence they are lifestyle changing plans.

It is the people that go on Atkins induction for 2 weeks so they can wear a bikini on vacation that has given the low carb plans a bad name.

My husband and I have a plan to cope with the holiday food also.

I am cooking a low carb Christmas meal at our house. We will eat our food at home before going to my aunts house or any other family members homes. I have adapted our favorite recipes to be low carb and I also bought a 8 pound ham from my local farmer. It is in the old time smoke house now being smoked to perfection. I am making pumpkin pie with a nut crust and using stevia and xylitol to sweeten.

Lizzycritter 12-22-2010 02:51 PM

It is the people that go on Atkins induction for 2 weeks so they can wear a bikini on vacation that has given the low carb plans a bad name.

This is my point exactly! THIS is where good lifestyle changing plans turn into "fad" diets. I'm not on a "plan", I prefer to find my own way, and I know I'll never eat totally "clean". I envy those of you with the discipline to live that way, but I know I don't have it in me. My diet's probably a B or B+ at best.

There's no magic pill or easy way out. The results you get equal the work you put in. My results are B+ as well, better than average but not as good as they could be.

01gt4.6 12-22-2010 03:54 PM

my diet has been a C- lately. :( I need to get a handle on it before I get my handles back.