Notices

Are you hearing us? Diets Shmiets!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Yep, I hear ya Lioness. We get there different ways, no sense putting down what works for another. Also, and I know from reading your posts you'll know what I mean, most people who don't have endocrine disorders cannot possibly understand the difficulty of finding what works. They'll tell you that you're just not trying hard enough, or not disciplined or patient enough.... and then when you do hit on what works, you get more static because it's "too radical". Good for you for finding your path!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM
FitDay Member

Urgh, I hate the term 'diet'. Every person I speak to about my weight loss asks me "Who did you lose it with?" I look at them vaguely until they start rattling off rubbish like "Weight watchers? Atkins? Slimming World?" And when I say that it's just me and the simple rule of less junk, more exercise = results, they all look like I've gone mad. If I have to listen to one more person tell me how they lost weight by sitting on their backsides, counting "points" or being good on their green/red days I will scream! The best thing is, half of them also told me that they've gained most if not all of the weight back. Whereas, apart from the usual fluctuations I haven't. People love throwing their money away, obviously.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Member

I understand where Gallusgal is coming from. While Mike(01gt4.6) hasn't taken the short term approach, many that 'diet' do. The Diet industry is forever telling people to follow the plan for just X number of days or weeks and you will be successful. Every week there are post on Fitday from people who used one plan or another and lost weight only to gain it all back. The problem isn't the plan, the problem is there is no long term. The diet industry doesn't want to admit that long term success means developing habits of moderation instead of an attitude of entitlement and over indulgence. Without these habits maintenance cannot be sustained.

I am not knocking any plan or book. I am simply expressing my belief that you can't solve a longterm problem with a short term plan. If you don't change your habits, attitudes and lifestyle you will condemn yourself to unsustained weight loss.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Ron, I agree 100%!... Noel
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I understand where Gallusgal is coming from. While Mike(01gt4.6) hasn't taken the short term approach, many that 'diet' do. The Diet industry is forever telling people to follow the plan for just X number of days or weeks and you will be successful. Every week there are post on Fitday from people who used one plan or another and lost weight only to gain it all back. The problem isn't the plan, the problem is there is no long term. The diet industry doesn't want to admit that long term success means developing habits of moderation instead of an attitude of entitlement and over indulgence. Without these habits maintenance cannot be sustained.

I am not knocking any plan or book. I am simply expressing my belief that you can't solve a longterm problem with a short term plan. If you don't change your habits, attitudes and lifestyle you will condemn yourself to unsustained weight loss.
I totally understand where you are coming from..........

However, this is where plans like Atkins, South Beach, any low carb plan and even HCG have the long term.........

These plans all have a start phase, middle phase and <GASP> a Maintenance phase...........

It is up to the individual person to read and research BEFORE embarking on any journey and decide if that particular plan is one they can follow through with from start to finish and complete the lifestyle change.

That is the whole point I am getting at.

I know lots of people that have lost weight doing it "their own way" and have gained it all back and then some.

I know people that have went through the hard work of all the phases of Atkins or HCG and have kept the weight off for years......... One such woman I know was on Atkins, transitioned over to HCG to lose the remainder of her weight - transitioned back over to Atkins and is now competing as a woman body builder.

She looks phenomenal!!

Diet merely means the food we eat, therefore EVERYONE is on a diet of sorts - unless you don't eat.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie
Yep, I hear ya Lioness. We get there different ways, no sense putting down what works for another. Also, and I know from reading your posts you'll know what I mean, most people who don't have endocrine disorders cannot possibly understand the difficulty of finding what works. They'll tell you that you're just not trying hard enough, or not disciplined or patient enough.... and then when you do hit on what works, you get more static because it's "too radical". Good for you for finding your path!
Ha ha.............I totally agree LisaAnnie.

I have MAJOR endocrine issues - Adrenal gland fatigue, Pituitary tumor (which started shrinking with HCG injections), Thyroid issues, Diabetes and PCOS.

My whole endocrine system is a mess to be nice about it.

Low carb focusing on farm raised meats, eggs and loads of veggies is the only thing that works for me. Fruit is treated as a treat or as an occasional dessert.

I know how sensitive my body is to certain foods and it is up to me to stay away from those foods for better health and also to lose weight.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Woohoo, someone who actually agrees! I'll be honest people, I was throwing a cat among the pigeons with this thread. And I know also that some of you are losing weight steadily using Atkins, WW, Slimming World, etc, but the poitn I am trying to make is, with every 'diet' comes an end point, and not just my own experience, but friends and family members. you gain the weight back and usually more. And like boo, I feel slightly resentful for others taking credits for my achievements.

Having said that, I understand that everybody needs to start somewhere, and I don't want to take away from that. What I do want to emphasise is that to achieve real and sustainable weight loss, you might have to dig a little deeper and understand your body and individual needs a little better. Lioness, lisa anne, I don't know the first thing about endocrinal issues so I wouldn't even think of presuming about advice to give you.

However, I wouldn't follow anyone's diet plan without researching how it suits me to the letter.

I know I sound frustrated, but I have spent the last 16 years of my life overweight and unhappy and I don't want others to go through that unnecessarily. I might not be on much over the Christmas week, I have a plan to cope with the extra holiday food I hope you all do too. Merry Christmas xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gallusgal
Woohoo, someone who actually agrees! I'll be honest people, I was throwing a cat among the pigeons with this thread. And I know also that some of you are losing weight steadily using Atkins, WW, Slimming World, etc, but the poitn I am trying to make is, with every 'diet' comes an end point, and not just my own experience, but friends and family members. you gain the weight back and usually more. And like boo, I feel slightly resentful for others taking credits for my achievements.

Having said that, I understand that everybody needs to start somewhere, and I don't want to take away from that. What I do want to emphasise is that to achieve real and sustainable weight loss, you might have to dig a little deeper and understand your body and individual needs a little better. Lioness, lisa anne, I don't know the first thing about endocrinal issues so I wouldn't even think of presuming about advice to give you.

However, I wouldn't follow anyone's diet plan without researching how it suits me to the letter.

I know I sound frustrated, but I have spent the last 16 years of my life overweight and unhappy and I don't want others to go through that unnecessarily. I might not be on much over the Christmas week, I have a plan to cope with the extra holiday food I hope you all do too. Merry Christmas xxxxxxxxxxxx
I totally understand where your coming from, but plans like Atkins and South Beach have no place in saying that come to an end..........those plans are designed to never go off, hence they are lifestyle changing plans.

It is the people that go on Atkins induction for 2 weeks so they can wear a bikini on vacation that has given the low carb plans a bad name.

My husband and I have a plan to cope with the holiday food also.

I am cooking a low carb Christmas meal at our house. We will eat our food at home before going to my aunts house or any other family members homes. I have adapted our favorite recipes to be low carb and I also bought a 8 pound ham from my local farmer. It is in the old time smoke house now being smoked to perfection. I am making pumpkin pie with a nut crust and using stevia and xylitol to sweeten.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

It is the people that go on Atkins induction for 2 weeks so they can wear a bikini on vacation that has given the low carb plans a bad name.

This is my point exactly! THIS is where good lifestyle changing plans turn into "fad" diets. I'm not on a "plan", I prefer to find my own way, and I know I'll never eat totally "clean". I envy those of you with the discipline to live that way, but I know I don't have it in me. My diet's probably a B or B+ at best.

There's no magic pill or easy way out. The results you get equal the work you put in. My results are B+ as well, better than average but not as good as they could be.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

my diet has been a C- lately. I need to get a handle on it before I get my handles back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.