Notices

How many calories?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default How many calories?

I am following Neris and India's diet but have no idea how many calories should be my minimum and maximum in a day. Can anyone help me please? TIA.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

How much do you weight, what is your lean body mass, how active are you? Calories per day is dependent upon many factors.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

HI, thanks for answering.

I weigh 188lbs and need to lose 48lbs. My BMI is 31.28. I am a full time mum.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Phipps, FitDay should provide you with a caloric guide once you put in your starting weight, goal date, and goal weight.

Also, look at your activities tab for calories burned...500 calories eaten per day under that will give you one pound lost a week; 1000 calories a day below that level two pounds a week.

However, I always found it easier to use this calculator:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Hope it helps.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 11-07-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Cassie, I will take a look now.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Phipps138
HI, thanks for answering.

I weigh 188lbs and need to lose 48lbs. My BMI is 31.28. I am a full time mum.
There is far more to it than calories in vs. calories out. It is more about what foods you put in. How are you planning on losing this weight? Are you going on a diet or prepared to make a full on lifestyle change?

Advice: avoid the 'low-fat/calorie restricted/eat many small meals a day' path. It may last short term, but you will likely always be hungry, have sugar cravings and end up putting back on any weight you lost and then some.

Cut out processed carbs including whole wheat anything (it all breaks down to glucose) eat high protein, good quality fats, and get your carbs from veggies and some fruits. You will go through about 2 weeks of de-tox but you will feel better than ever after that and the weight loss will be consistent and healthy. If you find that you are having cravings, eat more healthy fats.

More info on this lifestyle can be found at Whole 9's website, Mark Sisson's site, along with Robb Wolf and Dr. Eades sites for starters. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I would like to jump in, Phipps, and say that you have to find what works for you. When you post here, you will get a lot of advice, often contradictory...low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein, etc., etc. Most folks on here are very passionate about what they have found that works for them, but just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for you.

I agree with Zorba that what you need to look for is a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet...but keep in mind that everyone's lifestyle is different and if you try to conform to one that doesn't fit your needs, you won't stick with it. Be patient with yourself; it may take some trial and error.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I would like to jump in, Phipps, and say that you have to find what works for you. When you post here, you will get a lot of advice, often contradictory...low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein, etc., etc. Most folks on here are very passionate about what they have found that works for them, but just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for you.

I agree with Zorba that what you need to look for is a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet...but keep in mind that everyone's lifestyle is different and if you try to conform to one that doesn't fit your needs, you won't stick with it. Be patient with yourself; it may take some trial and error.
True, to a degree. Science is science and there is no disputing the reality of what a low fat/high carb diet does to the body and a persons health compared to a low carb, high protein and quality fat diet.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by zorba1331
True, to a degree. Science is science and there is no disputing the reality of what a low fat/high carb diet does to the body and a persons health compared to a low carb, high protein and quality fat diet.
Funny I thought mainstream science advocates a low fat/high carb diet to promote a healthy life style.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you everyone.

Today I have had the 3 meals recommended in the book but have only had 604 calories. I don't feel starving but I do know that that isn't enough. Since reading the books it has been like a switch being flicked and I know I can do this and have stopped treating food like something other than fuel. If I tried to explain my issues you would think I belong on Mars but suffice to say I have changed my whole mindset about eating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.