FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   LeanGains.com and Intermittent Fasting (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/2217-leangains-com-intermittent-fasting.html)

midwestj 12-28-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by noelminneci (Post 24172)
No way would I have enough energy to lift weights if I fasted.

As long as you are not fasting for a period of longer than 24 hours, the body has enough stored energy in the form of glycogen to power a weight lifting session.

You would however run into a problem if you were going to try and run a marathon or triathlon while fasted. Most of the time you need to consume calories during these long events to sustain performance.

Yesterday I played about an hour of ice hockey while fasted. No problems there. The bonus was that I was elevating my fat burning during and after because I was fasted.

vabeachgirlNYC 12-28-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 25546)
Instead of IF sometimes I'll hold off eating anything until later in the afternoon. I've found that this helps with energy and concentration if I have a particularly stressful task in the morning like a research paper to work on or if its "reply to the 300 emails I missed while I was on vacation" day. Some days I will wake up and instinctively know that if I were to have anything besides black coffee, I'd just be in a daze all day long.

I am the same way. I feel kind of "sickish" if I eat in the morning. I usually eat my biggest meal late at night. I also fast once, sometimes twice a month, unplanned.

I have no interest in the feasting part, just return to normal eating the next day. :)

Kelwynn 01-29-2011 04:50 AM

IF Works for me

This really works for me and I think it will become a lifetime plan. I follow the Fast 5 method: 19 hours fasting, then a 5 hour feeding window. I sort of fell into it in mid December, after reading a post on Mark's Daily Apple about IF and all of the different ways of doing it. I'm 47, a mom of two and I really didn't think I could do the Eat Stop Eat style of alternate day fasting given my lifestyle. The 5 hour window seemed more realistic, given that I cook dinner for my family daily and I schedule my window so that I can cook, eat with the family and enjoy a dessert or wine, too.

That's basically what I've been doing since December 13 or so. I don't know how much I've lost (I stay off the scale--it makes me crazy), but the drop inches has been substantial. My waist measurement has gone from 31" to 28", my hips from 41" to 38". My bicep measurement is down 1.5" and you can really see the definition. What's weird is, other than walking, I've not been exercising particularly strenuously. My guess is I've lost about 10-15 pounds, very easily and without feeling deprived.

I was able to maintain this over Christmas, while vacationing at Disney World-- and I think I still lost weight.

I don't count calories anymore, and during my window I eat "normally" but not to excess. If I want chocolate, I have it. If I want a glass of wine, I have it. If I want a handful of potato chips I have them. I pretty much eat whatever I want between 3 pm and 8 pm. It's helped me to get over some "food fears" and concentrate more on just making sure I get some protein, some fruits and veggies everyday. Healthy, but not super limited or super "clean." The interesting thing is I get full very quickly. It's almost like the daily fast has shrunk my stomach. I don't want to overeat when I eat and I find I enjoy my food so much more. It also makes it easier to manage cravings. I just tell myself "I'll eat that in my window" and I do. I am hungry by the time I eat and my stomach gets growly... but I've certainly felt that way before on diets where I ate 5 or 6 times a day, too. The difference is on IF, when I eat, I don't have to eat low fat/low carb. I really do eat what I want!

I'm still losing, though more slowly now, I think. I only have may be 10 pounds to lose, so that makes sense. Yesterday, I did calculate my calories just out of curiosity and they were around 1400. Considering that I'm only 5'1" and not a super-avid exerciser, I'm thinking that's probably about right to maintain a goal weight of 125 or so.

Just had to weigh in here (pun intended) and share my experience.

mecompco 01-29-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kelwynn (Post 34119)
This really works for me and I think it will become a lifetime plan. I follow the Fast 5 method: 19 hours fasting, then a 5 hour feeding window. I sort of fell into it in mid December, after reading a post on Mark's Daily Apple about IF and all of the different ways of doing it. I'm 47, a mom of two and I really didn't think I could do the Eat Stop Eat style of alternate day fasting given my lifestyle. The 5 hour window seemed more realistic, given that I cook dinner for my family daily and I schedule my window so that I can cook, eat with the family and enjoy a dessert or wine, too.

That's basically what I've been doing since December 13 or so. I don't know how much I've lost (I stay off the scale--it makes me crazy), but the drop inches has been substantial. My waist measurement has gone from 31" to 28", my hips from 41" to 38". My bicep measurement is down 1.5" and you can really see the definition. What's weird is, other than walking, I've not been exercising particularly strenuously. My guess is I've lost about 10-15 pounds, very easily and without feeling deprived.

I was able to maintain this over Christmas, while vacationing at Disney World-- and I think I still lost weight.

I don't count calories anymore, and during my window I eat "normally" but not to excess. If I want chocolate, I have it. If I want a glass of wine, I have it. If I want a handful of potato chips I have them. I pretty much eat whatever I want between 3 pm and 8 pm. It's helped me to get over some "food fears" and concentrate more on just making sure I get some protein, some fruits and veggies everyday. Healthy, but not super limited or super "clean." The interesting thing is I get full very quickly. It's almost like the daily fast has shrunk my stomach. I don't want to overeat when I eat and I find I enjoy my food so much more. It also makes it easier to manage cravings. I just tell myself "I'll eat that in my window" and I do. I am hungry by the time I eat and my stomach gets growly... but I've certainly felt that way before on diets where I ate 5 or 6 times a day, too. The difference is on IF, when I eat, I don't have to eat low fat/low carb. I really do eat what I want!

I'm still losing, though more slowly now, I think. I only have may be 10 pounds to lose, so that makes sense. Yesterday, I did calculate my calories just out of curiosity and they were around 1400. Considering that I'm only 5'1" and not a super-avid exerciser, I'm thinking that's probably about right to maintain a goal weight of 125 or so.

Just had to weigh in here (pun intended) and share my experience.

I'm very glad you've found something that works well for you--thanks for sharing!

It just reinforces the fact that we're all different. If I had an "unlimited" 5 hour feeding window I'd likely still weight over 400 pounds as I'm pretty sure I could have shoveled in many thousands of calories in that period.

Regards,
Michael