FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Help - What do you think of my diet? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/2064-help-what-do-you-think-my-diet.html)

Hunny24 09-27-2010 06:58 AM

Help - What do you think of my diet?

Here is what I eat on a typical day. Any feedback would be much appreciated

Breakfast - Either whole grain oatmeal with cinnamon, Splenda and some strawberries or bowl of Special K w/ skim milk

Snack - Either 1 cup of Fat free yogurt w/ about 10 almonds or 1 cup of 2% cottage cheese

Lunch - Salad with oil and vinegar dressing and some grilled chicken, sandwich w/ whole grain bread and ham or turkey and an apple, or dinner leftovers

Snack - Fruit of some sort

Dinner - Usually fish or chicken w/ veggies. I try not to eat any carbs at night.

After work out - Yogurt or cottage cheese again.

I have been struggling not eating sugar so I might have a fat free pudding cup or a cookie or two. But of course had a piece of cake this weekend for a family party and a Jr Frosty today since I was craving something sweet. I love eating healthy but I really want to cut out as much crap as I can and continue to lose weight.

I do run about 3-5 miles 4 days a week and lift 2 days a week.

Overall does it seem like I am on the right path?

rpmcduff 09-27-2010 08:19 AM

All the food looks good. What is your Protein, Carb, Fat as percentages of calories? What is your calorie deficit?

tandoorichicken 10-06-2010 06:08 AM

Just from your sample day's menu it looks to me like you might not be eating enough fat. Some easy tweaks might be to switch to whole dairy and eat an egg breakfast 2-3 times per week.

Fat is essential for survival, and if your body thinks there isn't enough coming in through the environment, it tries to hoard as much of it as it can. Maybe adding some fat back in to your can help you continue your fat loss.

rmdaly 10-07-2010 04:04 AM

Try getting some sweets

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but you might want to let yourself have some sweets so you don't end up gorging on them when you hit a rough patch. It might make the weight loss a little easier too.

I buy the light ice cream that is about 100-150 calories per half cup and have that after dinner. Use small bowls or tea cups and keep to the serving size. Another alternative is instant pudding made with skim milk. I think thats only about 140 calories per serving. It can help with a chocolate cravings. Eat the ice cream or pudding slowly and enjoy them. Finally, there are the chocolate chip chewy granola bars that are around 100 calories. They are very good for helping the sweets cravings. Since they are individually wrapped, it discourages you from eating more than 1.

Milk is good after a workout and chocolate milk is fun. Kind of makes it a reward after a workout.

Just make sure that any of these fit into your calorie/exercise budget.

Good luck.

Hunny24 10-07-2010 05:35 AM

Hi eveyrone. Sorry I haven't responded back. Forgot I posted this actually!! Yeah I have added an egg every other morning. I usually am around the 30% fat/carbs and 40% protein and am trying to add more veggies instead of snacking on grapes or other fruits as much. I love having the fat-free dark chocolate pudding cups for a dessert since I get my chocolate fix without the million calories ice cream will give you. Personally, I do better when I just give up all that stuff instead of having a little bit of it here or there. Since the little bit sets me up to have a huge bowl of whatever.

I had a really bad week last week, eating too much and a lot of junk. So back at it again this week and the scale has been showing it. I need to also get more consistant at doing more weight training/cross training instead of just running. I love staying active but need to put more effort to creating a schedule for that as well as running and sticking to it.

When I do run, I usualy do 4-6 miles each time so that burns anywhere from 450-800 calories each work out and I have added walking 30 mins 3 x a week when I am work just to get some added movement into my day. So I think as long as I stick to eating well, working out doing more than running, I will keep seeing results.

thanks for the support!

Ann

01gt4.6 10-08-2010 03:02 AM

I know you probably don't want to hear this but I'd add in a fast carb, like a banana after your workouts and runs. Your body will make good use of it and that may cut down on some of your cravings.

Also try to allow yourself a cheat every now and then. I know if I go too strict for too long... all hell breaks loose!

cjohnson728 10-08-2010 03:08 AM

A combo of a protein and complex carb would be excellent, too, after workouts.

01gt4.6 10-08-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 22740)
A combo of a protein and complex carb would be excellent, too, after workouts.

very true, I didn't say the protein b/c she mentioned yogurt (I was just thinking greek) and cottage cheese, but which have protein. I usually make a whey protein shake (well just water and protein powder) and eat a banana.

zorba1331 11-07-2010 02:15 AM

Not enough fat, too many processed carbs and get rid of the 'fat free' stuff. Fat free=high carbs=increased blood sugar=increase in insulin=fat storage.

It looks to me that you will constantly be hungry on this type of food intake and will have moments where you 'just can't help yourself' and will binge out on whatever is nearby.

Fat doesn't make you fat.

newbunz 11-09-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hunny24 (Post 21984)
Here is what I eat on a typical day. Any feedback would be much appreciated

Breakfast - Either whole grain oatmeal with cinnamon, Splenda and some strawberries or bowl of Special K w/ skim milk

Snack - Either 1 cup of Fat free yogurt w/ about 10 almonds or 1 cup of 2% cottage cheese

Lunch - Salad with oil and vinegar dressing and some grilled chicken, sandwich w/ whole grain bread and ham or turkey and an apple, or dinner leftovers

Snack - Fruit of some sort

Dinner - Usually fish or chicken w/ veggies. I try not to eat any carbs at night.

After work out - Yogurt or cottage cheese again.

I do run about 3-5 miles 4 days a week and lift 2 days a week.

Overall does it seem like I am on the right path?

I am surely impressed! Not sure I can be this good!