Is my diet good?

Community
Notices

Is my diet good?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Post Is my diet okay?

Hi there,

My name is Soekhai and I am new to this forum, however I am not new to the Fitday log since I have been using that for around two weeks now.

I read a lot of information on the website and many other sites about how to gain with for hard gainers. So I calculated how much cals I burn each day.

I burn around 2450 cals each day.

My weight is 130lb and my height is 5'9 and im 22 years young (male). And I think it's time for me to change my current life style and get some meat on myself.

My current goal is to be 150 in about 3 to 4 months. Now since I'm new I'm not sure if I'm being realistic if I say that..

So I searched searched and searched and came up with a couple of scenarios for my daily food schedule. I would like to share the diet listed below and ask you for advice. I want to ask you if I am doing it good If I keep this up.

8:00 Breakfast.
2x Omlet 77
1x Appel Juice 175
1x Glas of Shake (Cytogainer) 570
2x Sandwich with peanut butter 684

10:00 Snack
1x Glas of Milk 220
7x Walnuts 183
2x Med. Banana 205

13:00 Lunch
2x Sandwich with peanut butter 684

16:00 Snack
1x Glas of Milk 220
7x Walnuts 183
2x Med. Banana 205

19:00 Dinner
1x 250g. Spaghetti 393

Total cals. 6231

Now I hope I noted the cals right and the total right as well. I have been eating this diet for 1 week now, it's a lot for me but I can eat it. I know I have to drink at least 3 liters of milk a day.. but I'm slowly going there.

So if anyone could just give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know this is a weight loss section.. but I couldn't find the weight gain section.

Last edited by fsoekhai; 09-03-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
FitDay Member

Outside of the spaghetti which I assume has tomato sauce on it, I don't see any vegetables. Now granted vegetables are usually low in calories, but they are also loaded with nutrients your body needs. The walnuts are good for you but have you considered adding in some other kinds of nuts or seeds and possibly some avocado?

Are you really eating 8 peanut butter sandwiches every day? Or am I reading this wrong? And if you are you might consider other options just to keep you from getting board.

Without actually logging any of this I would tend to think that it's really high carb and possibly low fat, but maybe also low on protein, (although I'm not familiar with Cytogainer). Just exactly where are you hoping to add this weight? Because too many carbs will just add layers of fat, not muscles.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
FitDay Member

I am not trying to criticize but I think your approach is not going to help you achieve your desired results. Do you want to add muscle or just weight? Your 6200 calorie diet will certainly add weight. Unfortunately most of it will be fat not muscle. As almeeker pointed out your protein intake looks low. Fat and Carbohydrates don't have the chemical makup necessary to build muscle. Only protein can build and repair muscle.

Here are my suggestions. Increase your protein intake to .5g to 1.0g per pound of lean body weight. Eat 250 calories over the calories you burn daily. Lift heavy, enough weight that you can only perform 5 to 6 repetitions with good form before you can't perform the exercise again. This plan will not add weight as quickly as your current approach but it will be much more effective at adding lean muscle.

I also suggest you check out Bodybuilding.com. You can find inspiration, diet and exercise information there.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

First of all I would like to thank you for your quick reply. I looked at the bodybuilding.com website, thank you that was very helpful (I still have to lot of look at there).

I'm hoping to get a good diet schedule done by the end of this week. So that I can start my diet next week. I would also love for you to criticize me because you know much more about diets the I probably do.

I tried to do weightlifting 4 years ago as well, when I was 18 years old. I did it for 1 years but I wasn't gaining anything, nor did I see any results so I gave up (like most people). For years I haven't been losing any weight nor gaining any weight.
On bodybuilding.com I saw this whole article about a person with the exact same situation like mine and he actually gained and made it. (by Roger Lockridge)
4 years ago I didn't even had a clue about the amount of calories I had to get in my body (which includes fat, prot & carbs) and now I found out that that's the key thing your body needs and especially for a hard-gainer like myself..

So I kept doing my research about what amount of calories I need to get in to my body. So I calculated my estimated use of calories each day which is around the 2450 calories which I posted earlier.
I work 16 hours a week in an office. I go to school for about 32 hours a week and I play soccer 3 hours a week divided in two sessions of 1,5 hour.

Now to my diet, I am trying to gain muscle weight not fat, that means my diet is probably not good since i'm not getting enough protein in just like you guys said. Now I don't think I am supposed to eat the same food everyday (especially dinner? Correct me If I'm wrong). So I figured I would make a couple of diets, they basically are the same only some food types change so I have some variation.

So I had the following in mind:

-Aside from the 7 Walnuts I can also eat 150g. of Roasted Chestnuts or Advocado for some variation?

-My 8x peanut butter sandwich is reduced to 4x. I could also eat 4x cheese and butter sandwich for some variation but as far as I know an peanut butter sandwich gives more cals and prot?

- To increase my protein intake I can increase my milk intake to 4 glasses each day (with a goal of 3 liters a day once my stomach gets more used to it).

- Also instead of Spaghetti I could eat White Boiled Rice with Lentis to increase my protein intake since that would give me around 45g of protein

-And I could snack on Roasted Cashew nuts instead of Walnuts to increase my protein as well.

So that will probably look a little like this:

8:00 Breakfast
1x Omlet 96 Cals 7.3 Fat 0.4 Carbs 6.5 Prot
1x Appel Juice 174.8 Cals 0.4 Fat 43.4 Carbs 0.2 Prot
1x Glas of Cytogainer Shake 580 Cals 5 Fat 79 Carbs 54,9 Prot
2x Peanut butter sandwich 684 Cals 33.8 Fat 75.9 Carbs 24.5 Prot
1x Tuna Salad with corn 250 Cals 11.9 Fat 21,5 Carbs 16,8 Prot

10:00 Snack
2x Glas of Melk 439 Cals 23.8 Fat 33.1 Carbs 23.6 Prot
1x 100g. Cashew nuts, roasted,salted 581 Cals 47.8 Fat 30.2 Carbs 16.8 Prot
1x Banana 105 Cals 0.4 Fat 27.0 Carbs 1.3 Prot

13:00 Lunch
2x Peanut butter sandwich 684 Cals 33.8 Fat 75.9 Carbs 24.5 Prot
1x 86.5g. (a half) Advocado, raw 138 Cals 12.7 Fat 7.4 Carbs 1.7 Prot

16:00 Snack
2x Glas of Milk 439 Cals 23.8 Fat 33.1 Carbs 23.6 Prot
1x 150g. Chestnuts, roasted 368 Cals 3.3 Fat 79.4 Carbs 4.8 Prot
1x Banana 105 Cals 0.4 Fat 27.0 Carbs 1.3 Prot

19:00 Dinner
1x Beef Steak,boneless & 660g. White potato, boiled, without peel and 1/2 cup cooked green peas 830 Cals 21,2 Fat 140,6 Carbs 22,9 Prot
1x Tofu, fried, prepared with calcium sulfate 35 Cals 2.6 Fat 1.4 Carbs 2.2 Prot
3x Carrots, raw 75 Cals 0.4 Fat 17.5 Carbs 1.7 Prot

Total: 6743.8 Cals 234,2 Fat (30%) 850,7Carbs (51%) 329,3 Prot (19%)

With this schedule I take around 100g more Prot then before. Also rpmcduff you said that I should eat 250 calories over the calories I burn daily. But what If I stick to the high amount of calories but increase the proteins in it?

Also for dinner I can eat a lot of fish as well since that gives a lot of protein, but this is just one of the schedules to find out If I'm getting what you're telling me. Thank you once again.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

With this schedule I take around 100g more Prot then before. Also rpmcduff you said that I should eat 250 calories over the calories I burn daily. But what If I stick to the high amount of calories but increase the proteins in it?

If you chose to eat the high amount of calories you will gain fat (and lots of it). I suggested the 250 calorie surplus to ensure you got the protein you need to build muscle but minimizing fat gain. 90% the of extra 2300 calories from your high calorie diet are going to be stored as fat. You will be gaining about 4.6 pounds of weight each week or 18.4 pounds a month. If a hard core bodybuilder can gain .5 pounds of muscle monthly they are doing well. So I estimate you would be gaining 17.9 pounds of fat each month. If you are only playing soccer for exercise (while it is a great aerobic activity) you will not even gain that much muscle.

I tried to do weightlifting 4 years ago as well, when I was 18 years old. I did it for 1 years but I wasn't gaining anything, nor did I see any results so I gave up (like most people).

Your lack of results from weightlifting could have been from one or more of the following:
Insufficient protein in your diet - only protein has the chemical structure necessary to build muscle.
Lifting light weights with lots of reps. - You need to lift heavy (see my previous post) to stimulate muscle growth. Include compound lifts like squats and deadlifts in addition to isolation movments like curls. (Begin slow and make sure you understand proper form for all exercises.)
Too much cardio - Cardio can sabotage your muscle gain goals by catabolizing muscle. Look at a distance runners physic. They are very fit with low body fat but they also have very little muscle mass. Not the preferred physic most of us would like. Do cardio in moderation.

As far as your diet goes, it has to work for you. I don't see the need for the Cytogain shakes. You can obviously get enough calories from the rest of your diet. You could eliminate many of the carbs in your Cytogain shake by mixing a couple of scoops of whey protein into the milk you drink.

Lastly, don't take my suggestions as the only answer. Ask your questions on the Bodybuilding.com boards and see if you can glean more information and tips from others who have similar circumstances and goals.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Alright rpmcduff. What you told me makes a lot of sense, and I also receive your advice from other places. I will adjust my diet slightly so that I don't get too many carbs in. I would like to thank you a lot, your help means a lot to me.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

Not to be too critical but I still don't see any vegetables....

Also you mention that you're knocking down the number of peanut butter sandwiches, but you don't mention what kind of bread you make them with. Not all breads are created equally, so you might want to look for something whole grain, or multi-grain, 4-5 grams of protein/serving and no high fructose corn syrup. Also you might want to find yourself a brand of natural peanut butter. Just a thought...
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default hello

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am 31 years old i weigh 300 pounds was once 296 was able to jog at tht time was squattin in gym hurt my knee, to much weight on my back. so, my cardio stopped cause my knee hurt when i tried to jog. since this time i had got down to 223 but with my knee hurting . i stopped everything and ballooned back up to 300 . recently married to a beautiful woman which is 21 gorgeous how she loves me with my body i will never know. she is wanting to loose about 25 lbs too. i told her i needed help she found this diet called the ketogenic diet. well i have cut out all carbs occasional teaspoon of sugar in morning coffee or 1 glass sweet tea a day . i am eating around 1800 to 2000 calories and walkin 3 to 5 times a week.i am gettin 100 or more grams of protein a day been feelin tired ,bad headaches, and super thirsty.... all these are signs of ketosis.... guess i am just wanting to know if i am doing this right? told my wife i think protein powder would help keep calories down while helpin helpin me get right amount of. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Camp21:
Congratulations for starting the journey... again. Your approach looks good to me. Limit calories and incorporating exercise. I am not a expert on ketosis though so I can't address your tiredness, headache and thirst problems. You might want to post this as a new thread in the diet section where you will get better responses.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

could you tell me if high levels of protein is good for losing weight or not ,,,,,i think i am gettin to much protein on this keto diet but i read where 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is reccommended i weight 300 pounds . i love the way it feels but i am not sure i am doing it right i am gettin somewhere between 200 to 220 grams of protein about 30 t0 50 carbs a day about 150 to grams of fat and total of 1800 to 2000 calories any help......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.