Notices

Which Type?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 AM
FitDay Member

Question Which Type?

I dont like to go on "diets" because everyone on the planet is on a diet. The definition of "diet" refers to the mass you consume. I watch what I eat and follow programs to adjust my diet. However, I am very unsure as to what program to follow. Atkins seems the best since I love meat above cake, snd vegetables are do-able, but its very inflexable. For instance, if I go on a camping trip, or travel a lot, or (like I am currently) live in a dorm, it is near impossible to always find a source of the required foods for Atkins or even just a low-carb lifestyle.

I've never looked in to South Beach much, but by examining their products, theres a lot of quick sugar...like in their bars and such. I'm very insulin sensitive so that turns my mood in to a mania, and in mania sugar desire links with pleasure.

It seems like the more I know about food, the more I mess up in refining my diet...like avoiding "bad" foods as much as possible, but then eating too many of the good because I skipped lunch or another meal because of the bad food. I get afraid that by consuming the "bad" it'll mess up my blood sugar and make me lose control. What do I do?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

This is exactly why I don't follow a "diet". I try to eat healthy and in a manner I can maintain for life, and I do it eating "regular" food. It's a lot of trial and error to find out what works for YOU. I'm sensitive to low calorie sweeteners, so I prefer to just not eat sweet things instead of using "diet" products. As I write this though, I'm drinking a diet A&W root beer because I'm having a stress related sugar craving, and I know I don't need the calories, This is not something I do every day or even every week. Life demands flexibility, and if the diet pop keeps me out of the ice cream sandwiches, then it's a good choice.

My blood sugar has always been prone to crashing. What works for me is at least 20% protein, 30% if I can manage it, and keep carbs as close to 40% as possible. I don't worry about fat at all. I eat three main meals, and usually a morning and afternoon snack. I eat fruit, protein and a carb for breakfast, a fruit and vegetable on the side with my lunch, and a cup of vegetables, meat, and a small side of carbs for dinner. Morning snack is usually protein heavy, afternoon snack is usually fruit. Fiber and protein keep me stable. Breakfast is critical, if I don't eat breakfast the whole day goes to heck in a handbasket because I'll just binge later.

My only big brand preference is Kashi. They have a lot of high protein high fiber products out there that actually have a flavor instead of a hefty dose of sugar. Next time you're in the supermarket, pick up some Kashi granola bars and compare the nutrition and ingredients to Quaker, then compare them both to "diet" bars (SlimFast is awful!). The "diet" products are the most unhealty of the bunch and the most loaded with sweeteners.

Thats my two cents plus interest, sometimes I get on a roll lol.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Give Up on Dieting

Dieting only did one thing for me...I would lose weight and then put it right back on quickly. Diets are often hard if not impossible to stick to long term. I've switched to focusing on healthy eating and counting my calories. Using fit day figure out how many calories you should consume a day to meet your goal weight. I agree with Lizzycritter on watching the balance of calories you are eating. You will need to play around with this to find out which ratio works best for you. For me, I prefer to keep my Protein between 35 and 40%, Carbs 40-45%, and fat around 20%. Also, eat 5-6 smaller meals per day to keep your blood sugars even, help thwart off cravings, and keep you from feeling hungry.

Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Thankyou guys so much for your advice! Its good to know that I have support!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

From your post I think you already understand that 'diets' are a short term solution to a long term problem. I, like Lizzycritter, believe in developing a healthy lifestyle that you can follow for the rest of your life. Your diet doesn't have to be perfect, and will sometimes be dictated by things outside your control. During those times strive to minimize the bad food choices and try to provide yourself with healthy alternatives.

Living in a dorm and eating cafeteria food that is heavily skewed toward simple carbohydrates is a real test of your ability to choose the healthier options. Its been a long time since I lived in a dorm but even in those ancient times there was always fruit, vegetables and a salad bar as options to the pasta, potatoes and gravy.

My advice is to stop skipping meals. Keep a protein bar or whey protein shake mix handy for when your schedule is chaotic or the only food choices are french fries and hamburgers. (You can eat alot of healthy fruits, vegetables and eggs before you equal that large order of french fries you avoided.)