Started the New Atkins 2 weeks ago...

Community
Notices

Started the New Atkins 2 weeks ago...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by haganeedle06
For crap sake...........can you not go find another thread to depress. I was feeling really good about myself, now I don't.......thanks coey coey......I'm wondering if you can't support someone why you just can't stop.......mY body, my diet choice is MY CHOICE AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN WHATSOEVER OF YOURS.

I want SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would not let someone who is not a doctor tell you what type of diet you need to be on. The Atkins' diet was studied by the Harvard Institute of Medicine and they found it was effective on both lowering cholesterol and weight. If you follow the new Atkins, it states to use low fat, lean meat, lots of vetgetables and so much dairy a day (you might want to check out atkins.com on the new suggestions). This is in line with South Beach and most medical diets. My Endocrinologist suggested that I be on either the new Atkins or SouthBeach due to having no thyroid now and depending on medicine to regulate my metabolism. I also have Asthma and he said the dairy would NOT interfere with my Asthma unless I have a cold, then it would increase my mucas production, so to try not to eat as much dairy when sick. You may want to consult your primary dr. just to make sure you have no medical condition that may be affected by the diet, but do what you feel is right for your body and don't let non-medical persons tell you what is best for you. Only you and your doctor knows that for sure. Good luck on your journey.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 182lbs (8-24-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

"Every journey starts with one small step."
Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
The AHA recommendation for "normal" is actually less than 150, not 150-200. I dropped my total cholesterol from 309 down to 99...using the Atkins diet!

In fact, let's bring some relevance to this conversation. My total triglycerides are 99 (down from 309). My glucose level stays around 110 (down from 135). My last A1C measurement was 6.0 (down from 6.6). My resting blood pressure is typically low, somewhere around 110/60 (down from 150/100). Apparently you know better than the experts who suggest that I have substantially reduced my risk of heart disease and have completely wiped out the pre-diabetes I previously suffered from. Please tell me what those readings should be.
I keep checking back and waiting for CoeyCoey to come back and tell me exactly how my doctor, the American Heart Association, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Medical Association are all wrong about the fact that my blood test results are "normal," but he has apparently disappeared from the boards. Looks like our vegan troll is gone, folks.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I was kinda waiting for that myself, davej. Almost wanted to hear the answer.

I think that this thread was an excellent example of how we should be tolerant of other people's views and approaches. If I tried to follow CoeyCoey's plan, I'd have gone off track and would be twice as heavy as I am now.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't subscribe to the Atkins philosphy, either, but my 50/25/25 (C/P/F) works great for me...cholesterol is 113, triglycerides 56, body fat about 18%...but I don't come on here and tell the low carb folks they're doing it wrong.

The best approach is the one you will stick with...unless it's something bizarre and nutritionally dangerous.

Although I'm kinda bummed that he seems to have scared off the OP.

Dude, is it your wedding next weekend? Congrats...!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-27-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

virginnia, you said a mouthful there! Diets are like religion to people. They go absolutely ape-split evangelical over them.

Telling someone to take the pro-Atkins spiel with a grain of salt is not going to work any better than telling them to take the anti-Atkins spiel with a grain of salt. They will throw a salt shaker at you and tell you that you are killing yourself with sodium and you're a monster for spreading the sodium gospel.

LOL!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Starting Atkins today!

I'm excited and nervous that I'll mess up. I've been on it twice before, the last time for over a year, and it's perfect for me. I'm just not much of a food preparer or veggie-eater... but that has to change.

I support all of you in your diet decisions: Please respect me in mine. Diet is a very personal thing, and we all have different genetic/health makeups. If you just eat lollipops all day, and it's the only thing that works for you, you have my wholehearted support!

Cheers to all --
Antonia
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by femlabrys
I'm excited and nervous that I'll mess up. I've been on it twice before, the last time for over a year, and it's perfect for me. I'm just not much of a food preparer or veggie-eater... but that has to change.

I support all of you in your diet decisions: Please respect me in mine. Diet is a very personal thing, and we all have different genetic/health makeups. If you just eat lollipops all day, and it's the only thing that works for you, you have my wholehearted support!

Cheers to all --
Antonia
Congrats on the decision to start back on Atkins again! Since you were already on it once for over a year, I might be preaching to the choir, but I have lots of ideas for eating out. I sometimes get sick of cooking as well, and when that happens I will typically go out for a cobb salad, burger w/ no bun, or some kind of meat burrito (no rice or beans, and don't eat the tortilla of course). There are also some evenings when I have had a really long day and I don't feel like cooking or eating out. I keep lots of things around for those occasions, such as pork rinds, avocados, broccoli and cauliflower florets, hard boiled eggs, and cheese.

With respect to personal diet decisions, it really baffles me why so many people try to make it their personal goal to dissuade people from Atkins. In a recent conversation with my sister-in-law, I was discussing the progress I have made so far with Atkins. She proceeded to tell me that Atkins is great for short-term weight loss, but bad for my health in the long term, and that she was worried about me continuing it. I straightened her out, of course, but I have to wonder why she is so concerned now but seemed to have no concern when her sister and I were going out drinking every weekend and finishing every weekend night with a 2AM trip to McDonalds or the taco shop. I suspect that, on some level, there is a certain jealousy that comes from people who have spent years either losing weight or fighting weight gain by means of a low fat/high carb diet and tons of exercise. Knowing my sister-in-law, I suspect this is the case and she is angry/jealous that I have done so well without having to eat like a rabbit and work out four hours a day. Then, of course, there are those that are pushing a vegetarian or vegan agenda because their own morals dictate that eating animal flesh is bad. That was the case with the troll we had on this board before. He had come up with all sorts of reasons why he believed a high fat or high protein diet might cause health problems, and he seemed to have research to show that humans don't need so much fat or protein. This was all based on his own vegan agenda as an attempt to save the lives of some animals. Of course this falls on deaf ears because if we didn't want to eat these levels of fat or protein, we wouldn't be trying Atkins to begin with. I would never go to a vegan diet discussion and try to convince them of all the dangers of protein deficiency or try to convince them all to eat animal flesh, and I really wish that people who don't like the Atkins plan would just stay out of our conversations altogether. That would be the respectful thing to do.

Sorry to go on such a rant. It is a sore point for me! Best of luck with Atkins, and please check back in to keep us updated on your progress.