FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Started South Beach last weekend (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/1758-started-south-beach-last-weekend.html)

Schumpeter 08-12-2010 09:24 AM

Started South Beach last weekend

I have been struggling with my weight for a few years now. I am 6'6" and for many years I was thin and could eat anything. I was 190 when I got married at 26. Then around the time my kids arrived (mid 30's) I started to pack it on. A year ago I swore I would never be over 240 and when I tipped the scales at 255 last month I know I needed a change.

A few years ago I did a modified Subway (Jared) diet and lost about 25 lbs because I was walking 3 miles a day too but really didn't change my eating habits, started up "stress eating" and stopped exercising so I gained it all back. I have a wicked sweet tooth and a history of diabetes in my family so I was getting worried.

Since I am so tall everyone tells me "oh you're not fat" but I carry it all around my belly and I think have alot of visceral fat.

So I decided to try South Beach and it is working really well because it is a "lifestyle" changing. So far I like it and it is making it easier for me to be creative about my eating habits. One thing I like about this diet is that I feel full all the time. I've also started walking again.

I'll post my progress periodically. I would like to get down to 215 by New Years as this will get my BMI down to the "normal range"

==========================================
Height: 6 ft. 6 in.
Starting Weight: 250 pounds (8-07-2010)
Current Weight: 246 pounds (8-10-2010)
Goal: 215 pounds (12-31-10)

vsabino 08-12-2010 09:29 AM

Congrats for making the decision to start.
Do you have to buy South Beach food then?
Good luck on your diet and post your progress!

Schumpeter 08-12-2010 11:56 AM

No, you don't have to purchase food, it is all in what you eat. Cutting out sugar and simple (vs. complex) carbs, eating bulk low glycemic index foods mostly. My daughter bought one of their cook books a while back and I started looking at it and the food recipes looked good and pretty easy.

Most of the information is on line so you really don't have to buy and books.

======================
Current Weight: 246 pounds (8-10-2010)

Schumpeter 08-17-2010 06:10 AM

Nearing the end of Phase I on SB diet (on Sunday). It's been a real success. I am enjoying the food and feel "lighter":). Also I have started walking 3.5 miles a few times a week -- trying to fit that into my work schedule. However, carb cravings are gone -- but I am looking forward to Phase II and reintroducing some good carbs. I am ahead of goal.

============================
Current Weight: 240.6 pounds (8-17-2010)

haganeedle06 08-18-2010 05:27 AM

Looks like you are doing really good!!!

Schumpeter 08-27-2010 02:02 AM

South Beach update

I have been on the diet for 20 days and have made pretty good progress although I notice that as I moved from Phase I to Phase II I have pretty much plateaued despite eating 1200 calories, less than 15% carbs and exercising three times a week. I have added some whole grains and fruit sparingly. Still feeling great, feel I have lost inches and feel full. I notice also that I only go to the bathroom 2x a week now where I was pretty much a daily routine before.

Will post updates:
===========================================
Current Weight: 236.8 pounds (8-27-2010)

vsabino 08-27-2010 02:50 AM

What do you eat exactly? I don't know South Beach diet.

Schumpeter 08-27-2010 12:30 PM

South beach Diet

See The South Beach Diet Review for a good overview. Mainly it is cutting out "bad" carbs (high sugar), emphasizing good fats and eating throughout the day to promote a full feeling, no insulin spikes and mindless eating binges. It keeps you full, and is actually more of a life style change than a diet.

==================================
Current Weight: 236.8 pounds (8-27-2010)

Schumpeter 09-04-2010 05:52 AM

Having Plateau problems

Been on the diet one month. I successfully transitioned to Phase II so introducing some low carb whole grain bread, fruits and brown rice. I have no cravings for junk food and am feeling good. I started going to the gym and do an hour of cardio in the morning. However, I seem to have plateaued for the last 10 days at 236. I had to get a new scale as my old one broke (and I didn not weigh myself for a week) so there may be some abnormalities between to two. I am still on track and very motivated.

Current Weight: 236.2 pounds (9-04-2010)

kleereiny 09-08-2010 04:15 PM

getting back on the southbeach wagon.....

Earlier this year I had to have my gallbladder removed and beforehand my doctor told me to go on this diet. My cholesteral was way high and she said I didn't need to diet but have a whole lifestyle change. She said everyone should be eating this way! She said don't even bother with phase 1....too restrictive. So I started w/ phase 2 and for the first month I did great...and felt great, (lost 10 lbs) then had the surgery and afterwards went kinda crazy eating (since I could actually eat what I wanted and not be in horrible pain) and gained it all back and then some....plus I couldn't work out for 6 weeks. So now I'm starting back tomorrow. The only thing I didn't like was that some of the recipes are kind of fancy and a pain in the butt to make. I will just have to look online for easier, quicker, and cheaper southbeach diet recipes.....anyone have any ideas/tips I would appreciate it! :) Thanks.

dul482 09-09-2010 02:29 PM

try this...

Kalyn's Kitchen

Schumpeter 09-10-2010 06:38 AM

Progress

Broke through the plateau -- have started doing 60 min of cardio in the morning and it really gets me stoked. I am hoping to be sub 230 by next week!! :)

Current Weight: 232 pounds (9-10-2010)

sostensrud 09-11-2010 02:50 PM

Just got on to this site and am interested in South Beach. You have motivated me by your updates. Hopefully, I can get some results as quickly as you have. You are doing great!!

Schumpeter 09-20-2010 11:17 AM

Day 44 -- I have lost alot of weight and need to make sure I am getting enough calories. I am averaging 1400-1600 day with 100g protein and now back up to 80-120 g carbs but all good stuff (whole wheat pasta, salad, dark green vegies, nine-grain bread, fruits).

I eat pretty normally but have gone 7 weeks with no refined sugar whatsoever. I notice that I am more calm and less stressed out. I have also been working out in the mornings with 60 min cardio on the elliptical machine (love the elliptical) and I referee soccer on the weekends. This weekend it was really hot and I had not had enough protein in the morning so was very tired but ate a good dinner and today feel great. Am also drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day.

I will likely make my goal by early October. Now on to core strengenthening!

In six weeks I have lost 27 lbs. I have good metabolism when I eat right so my results should not be considered typical. But the message is, it can be done. Bottom line -- South Beach is great when combined with exercise. I don't miss "bad" foods and feel like I have made a major lifestyle change.

Starting Weight: 250 pounds (8-07-2010):(
Current Weight: 223.2 pounds (9-20-2010):)

Schumpeter 09-26-2010 03:19 AM

Update - South Beach Diet

Eight weeks. Have totally incorporated the new diet and exercising as a "lifestyle change". I need to continue to tone up and still have some inches to lose around the waist -- the acid test is fitting into my old jeans without a "tummy hangover".

Plateaued around 224 and even backed up a little but kept with it and am on track again.

My daughter started after me and has lost 9 pounds on the diet. My wife is also starting to "eat healthy" as we are cooking low carb healthy dinners and she is starting to get into the program as well.

A little worried about the holidays though.

Starting Weight: 250 pounds (8-07-2010):(
Current Weight: 222 pounds (9-26-2010);)

Schumpeter 10-07-2010 05:54 AM

Two months to the day. Down 28 lbs (actually 33 from my peak). Losing the belly fat and can fit into the jeans now. Need to work on core strength -- I have started some resistance training as well but travel so much for work that it is hard to get the workout in.

Plateaued at 222-224 for the past three weeks. Need to mix up the diet.

Note -- tried whole wheat tortillas last night for fajita wraps -- not bad.

Current Weight: 222 pounds (10-07-2010)

gmantych 10-07-2010 05:57 AM

Amazing results!

I did started the SBD about a year ago and found that it worked really well for me. Unfortunately I didnt stick with it. I have been counting calories for the last few weeks and really feel like I would benefit more from the SBD. My Dr. told me a few years back that he suggested I change to this way of eating since I tend to store fat around my middle.

Last time I used the website which was really good for meal planning and getting new ideas. Do you use the book or the website?

Schumpeter 10-08-2010 03:46 AM

I use the book and the cookbooks as well as the free info on the internet. It is pretty easy to get the info you need. I use FitDay to track my progress and my nutrition balance. It's a great lifestyle once you make the commitment.

Schumpeter 10-17-2010 04:31 AM

Hit 220 today

After a long plateau in the 225-222 range, I hit 220 today. I have been exercising alot lately -- all that subcutaneous fat that goes away with dieting is pretty much gone but the visceral fat (the stuff inside that needs to be exercised away) I am still working on.

I have been averaging about 1700 - 1800 cals and NO REFINED SUGAR since August. I totally eat healthy now and enjoy the food. No cravings. In fact, my wife just bought a bunch of Halloween candy for giving out in two weeks and I just looked at it and thought "no big deal".
Current Weight: 220 pounds (10-17-2010):)

a.vannice 10-19-2010 04:12 AM

This diet looks awesome

Hi!! I'm not one for pre-made diets, because I love to cook and use a large variety of veggies, and I was doing very well cutting out refined sugars unless I moved this weekend.. it's hard to eat healthy when your kitchen is boxes.

Anyway, I'm getting frustrated because I'm counting calories and not losing weight, so I want to try a diet plan and SB is the closest to how I like to eat.
I was wondering if you could help me with the first phase. I have the food lists; is it three meals a day plus two snacks with those foods? Is there anything else I need to know? Also, I will be writing down foods but do I need to count calories and keep it under a certain amount for the first two weeks?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm so ready to see results for my efforts!

Schumpeter 10-21-2010 04:12 AM

@vannice

vannice -- Congratulations on joining and getting motivated to lose weight.

SB Phase I is mainly about three things: cutting out all refined sugar and simple empty carbs (those muffins, cookies, bagels, breads, pasta etc.) as a way of smashing down your cravings and getting your blood sugar stabilized. It is difficult for many but I found that after day 4-5 it gets a little boring. This is offset by the weight loss. It is in fact eating any of the food on Phase I list but more importantly eating five times a day. Do NOT skip snacks. I used to eat almonds for my morning snack and yogurt for my afternoon snack. It is critical that you eat some protein at all three meals. Eggs, bacon, steak etc in the am, a chicken or tuna on salad at lunch and a nice piece of meat with lots of dark green veggies (I have come to love brocolli). Put Mrs. Dash on the veggies to give it some spice.

The main thing I can advise is -- make it into a hobby. Get the cookbook and try stuff out. You will find that you are full all the time. Don't think about stuff you CAN'T have -- think about it as stuff you DON'T WANT TO have and how great you will look and feel when you are at a better weight. Good luck.

Current Weight: 221.4 pounds (10-21-2010) -- was traveling this week:mad:

a.vannice 10-21-2010 07:45 AM

Thanks for the advice :)

I initially wasn't going to buy the book (thinking that I could figure it out on my own),but I found it at the library so I picked it up. The recipes look amazing!! I'm way into cooking, especially from scratch, so I think this diet is perfect for me. It seems that most complaints that I hear is that the food preparation is too time consuming.

Anyway, I'm going to start phase 1 on Sunday.. can't wait!!

Mini goal :D 160 (12/25/10)

Schumpeter 11-08-2010 04:10 AM

two pounds to go.

Three months to the day that I started on South Beach Diet, I am 2 lbs away from my goal eight weeks early. Two more pounds to get into the "healthy" BMI range. My stomach is flat and I can fit into clothes I have not seen in years. Even had a few cookies this weekend (probably why I didn't hit the goal on Saturday). I get plenty of exercise, have no cravings and am at or above 100% RDA of all nutrients. :):):)

Heaviest Weight: 255 pounds (08-04-2010)
Current Weight: 217 pounds (11-08-2010):)

Schumpeter 11-25-2010 06:03 AM

Success!!!

I hit my goal weight this morning (Thanksgiving Day). Three and a half months and 40 lbs. I am happy, healthy and living a new way of appreciating healthy food. I am going to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner today.

Good luck and God bless to all on this day.

================================================== ====
Achieved Goal: 215 pounds (11-25-10) :) Lost 40 lbs.

New Goal: 210 pounds (12-31-10)

thomasbarnes 11-28-2010 03:39 PM

Congratulations!

I am starting Phase I tomorrow. I am 6ft. 2in. and have about 120lbs (roughly) to lose. I currently weigh around 320lbs. You thread has encouraged me a great deal. keep up the good work and I will keep checking in.

While on Phase I what did you eat for breakfast? I get tired of eggs real quick. Any other easy ideas?

Kind regards,
Thomas

dlisat 11-29-2010 06:50 AM

South Beach Diet just starting to ease in to it

I have just started to reduce carbs, increase protein and try to drink more water. I have struggled with this extra weight for 15 years and i have reached the point where I just need to do whatever it takes. I have been confused about diets and really wanted to go all veggie, but I get too hungry. Hi protein diets are the only way i lose weight. I cannot go off the strictest phase, because I start gaining very quickly again. Must be super careful. Thank you guys for your motivating posts!

Date started: 11/28/10
Current weight: 127
Goal: 107 by 1/30/11
Height: 5'3"

Schumpeter 11-29-2010 09:02 AM

@thomasbarnes

Congratulations on starting. If you keep at it, you WILL be successful.

For breakfast, I like eggs and usually scrambled two eggs with onion, pepper and mushrooms (maybe some shrimp - you can get them frozen) and a few slices of bacon (strip or Canadian). Try them with low fat refried beans and some veggies with cheese. The key thing is to avoid starches, simple carbs, and sugar at all costs. In Phase I, any kind of meat is best for breakfast -- just each last night's leftovers :). I did not try protein drinks or shakes.

========================================
Achieved Goal: 215 pounds (11-25-10) :) Lost 40 lbs.

Current Weight 215 pounds (11-29-10) -- survived Thanksgiving.
New Goal: 210 pounds (12-31-10)

thomasbarnes 11-29-2010 11:35 AM

@Schumpeter

Today I did 2 hard-boiled eggs and some almonds for breakfast.

I think I may go wth Grilled chicken and some pico on top for breakfast. I love grilled chicken.

Keep up the excellent work.

dlisat 11-30-2010 05:00 AM

Today I had two capuccino's with almond milk and 1 hard boiled egg so far today.I am planning on Salmon and broccholi for dinner. I like the idea of scrambled eggs with veggies..yum. I will definately have to add that. Good luck with your goals and thanks for the encouragement!

Schumpeter 12-30-2010 03:55 AM

Have backed up a few pounds during the Christmas season and pretty much have plateaued in the 214-219 range since before Thanksgiving. Mostly due to eating sloppily. I am looking forward to getting a kick start back after New Years and am going to start working with a personal trainer.

Happy healthy New Year to all.

========================================
Achieved Initial Goal: 215 pounds (11-25-10) Lost 40 lbs.

Current Weight 219 pounds (12-30-10) -- Holiday backup :(
New Goal: 210 pounds (01-31-11)

240phil 01-22-2011 05:12 AM

I'm trying to get the hang on this whole low carb thing.
I'm having trouble sorting out the whole good carbs and bad carbs thing.
Good example, things like refried beans. In one sentence, they are recommended, but then in the next, you are told to keep your total carbs down. But a serving of refried beans has anywhere from 15 to 25 carbs (or even more)
So I'm having a hard time really getting that whole concept.
Which in turn, is making it difficult to work out menu's for the week to be able to put together a grocery list.

I'm right at 6 foot tall. Currently weigh 245 pounds.
I'd like to get down to the 200 pound mark come summer time. It would be really great to be that size, and in shape for my birthday, July 29th.
From what I've been able to research about this, the South Beach diet really seems to fit my lifestyle and pretty much how I liked to eat already. Just minus the junk. lol.
I really liked this site as far as the tracking tools it has. The only thing I wish it did was help plan a weekly/daily menu to fit your diet needs.
Anyone have any good resources as far as planning meals goes?
I'd like to be able to plan out my meals for the week, so I know exactly what I need to shop for, so I know what to expect as far as carbs and calories and all of that. I find that if you can plan it out, than you can work in the little rewards a lot easier. Like ice cream. I found a breyer's ice cream that only has 3 net carbs per serving. You can't really just get yourself some ice cream unless you know you have those 3 extra carbs to spare... know what I mean?
That's why I'm trying to work it out to be able to set up a weekly menu and I'm finding it to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be...

I really appreciate the help and guidance.

lastri 01-22-2011 10:52 AM

240phil,
Here is some website that I know.
caloriescounter
Eatingwell.com
just google them. they have recipe and cals counts like that.
Mai