Notices

I want to go on a LIVEIT!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default I want to go on a LIVEIT!

Ok, so maybe that word is made up... but my point is, I don't want to "DIE" trying to lose weight. Also, when I think of dieting, I think of something short term -- or that is finite.

So, I want to go on a "LIVE"-it. I want to eat sensibly, and affordably, and don't really want to do any gimmick dieting.

My biggest challenges are that I love carbs. Breads, rice, pasta, you name it. I'm italian, and grains have always been a huge part of my diet -- though I know I'm overdoing them.

I'm also allergic to milk (since birth) though I've never really curbed my diet to exclude dairy products. I'm a cheese & ice cream fanatic too, but am willing to cut back on those items for the sake of good health.

So, with all of that being said, I was looking for suggestions on menu plans that I might try to keep my meals satisfying, better portioned and lower in calories.

On a side note, some things that I'm proud of which I've accomplished over the past few years with the help of my hubby, is cutting fast-foods and carbonated beverages out of our diet. We no longer go to any restaurant that has a drive-thru attached to it, and when we do treat ourselves to a rare soda, it's usually a diet drink (but less than 1-2 times every few months).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Smoosh
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

A great approach no matter what you call it. I fyou are unwilling to eliminate all simple carbohydrates (like pasta, white bread and white rice) i suggest you substitute whole grain pastas, whole grain or whole wheat breads and brown rice. These, while starting out as wheat and rice the processing is much less. The whole grain products are considered complex carbs versus their white counterparts that are considered simple carbs because they lack the fiber of the whole grain.

Because of the lack of fiber the simple carbs digest much faster and so have a much higher probability of being stored as fat rather than energy (glycogen) for your muscles. If you are going to eat simple carbs try to limit them to immediately after you work out or first thing in the morning when your glycogen supplies are low.

Congratulations on the changes you have already made. I am on a similar journey. I try to center my meals around lean meats and fresh vegetables while limiting simple carbs. (Note I said limiting not eliminating as I don't want to eliminate something I enjoy for the rest of my life.) Like you I don't want the changes I am making to have a end point.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
FitDay Member

Smoosh, you must be younger than me, because Richard Simmons coined the phrase "Live-It" back in the early 80's. Believe me watching him scream "LIVE IT" while dancing around in sequin covered short shorts is an image I can't forget (not that I haven't tried).

As for things to eat, I have cut out most of the "white" foods mentioned above, and only eat whole grain, low-carb, low-cal, low-fat carbs. The whole family has been switched over to 35 calorie/slice, whole grain bread and I only serve whole grain pasta as well. Those are really easy changes and you can make them without feeling deprived. I have not given up potatoes, (considered by some to be another "white" food), only nowadays I cook them with very little added fat, and usually in such a way that they don't need butter.

If you're allergic to cow's milk, have you tried almond milk? I use it as coffee creamer and to make smoothies and homemade ice cream. A good percentage of people that are allergic to milk tolerate yogurt, so you might try Greek yogurt. It's very high in protein and tastes like sour cream.

While grocery shopping I try to stay away from things in cans, boxes and full of ingredients I can't pronounce.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

Did Richard Simmons say that? I don't remember! But I do remember his sequined shorts & tank tops, LOL. I used to enjoy 'Sweatin' to the Oldies' back in the day.

As for trying Almond Milk, I have. It's a little too sweet for my liking. I've had the same experience with Soy Milk, I just don't care for it. I used to drink a lot of milk as a young adult, but not so much now. Maybe a little bit in coffee now and then, or cereal. It's more the cheeses, yogurts, ice cream, etc. that I have indulged in and need to curb.

But I do have psoriasis and was told if I cut out the dairy I might see some improvements there. It just seems really daunting to cut dairy out entirely.

Going 'brown' on the grains shouldn't be too difficult. My husband does all the food shopping -- he insists on it, because he doesn't like how I shop, LOL -- so I'll just ask him to stop buying simple carbs. That shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Smoosh, I also love my carbs and I am allergic to dairy. I found out about 15 years ago. I had psoriasis as a kid and once I cut out dairy, it went away. I find I have a threshold and I can tolerate the amount of the protiens in goat's milk. I stick to mostly the cheese because that is where my addiction is. I kid you not, I ate 5 lb a week of cheese in college.

I second the gimmick dieting, because you really do have to do something that works for you and will continue working forever. I also second the whole grains. We don't eat wheat in our house because of celiac disease, but we eat a lot of rice, corn, ancient grains. When I eat rice I usually eat white, because I don't like the texture of brown rice, although we eat brown rice pasta. Another good grain is quinoa.

I've managed to cut out potato chips (mostly) and cookies, which really helped me lose my weight.

Anyway, just a few suggestions and to let you know that you are not alone!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Wylie!

When I do drink milk, it's usually 1%, as I'm not fond of Skim either. Funny, for someone who loves food, I can be pretty picky at times. I know what you mean about the texture of brown rice. I don't really care for it, but I will eat it.

I'm always very 'gung ho' when I try to focus on eating better, but I feel like I need to go to extremes -- like all veggies/fruits, no bread -- although I know that's not well balanced or the right thing to do.

After all these years of yo-yo dieting, and never really reaching a 'normal weight', I feel like I should be an expert on what I should be eating & doing... yet, I'm still uncertain.

That's why I appreciate everyone's feedback and support. I'm just gonna go one day at a time, and stay open minded towards learning & growing (smaller).