Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Atkin's and Metabolic Oxidization Typing? >

Atkin's and Metabolic Oxidization Typing?

Community
Notices

Atkin's and Metabolic Oxidization Typing?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Question Atkin's and Metabolic Oxidization Typing?

Hi All,

A few questions for the knowledgeable folk.

Does it matter which metabolic type (fast, mixed (traditional/relative), or slow) you are and the long-term success of the Atkin's diet? Looking at metabolic typing diets, it seems that only the fast oxidizers and some of the mixed types are suitable for the high fat/moderate protein/low carb lifestyle (60-70%/20-30%/5-10% respectively).

Atkin (2002) stated that short-term weight loss was feasible for all types, but recognized that the population with "resistant metabolisms" might need more drastic measures in order to go into ketosis (e.g. the "fat fast" diet). Is it at all possible to fundamentally change your individual metabolic oxidization rate (i.e. go from a slow oxidizer to a fast oxidizer) and continue to lose weight, or sustain that lifestyle?

Personally, I'm a mixed R-type oxidizer and I'm not quite sure how the Atkin's diet will work for me. I'm only doing Induction so that I can reset my metabolic baseline in order to experiment with carb intake levels. Since I'm a mixed type, I don't know if my metabolism will swing into fast mode along with the Atkin's lifestyle or if it will rebel against the carb depletion.

Any advice on the above would be helpful. Also, if anyone else is a mixed R-type, please let me know how the Atkin's diet is working for you.

Thanks! And, Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by iceland77
Hi All,

A few questions for the knowledgeable folk.

Does it matter which metabolic type (fast, mixed (traditional/relative), or slow) you are and the long-term success of the Atkin's diet? Looking at metabolic typing diets, it seems that only the fast oxidizers and some of the mixed types are suitable for the high fat/moderate protein/low carb lifestyle (60-70%/20-30%/5-10% respectively).

Atkin (2002) stated that short-term weight loss was feasible for all types, but recognized that the population with "resistant metabolisms" might need more drastic measures in order to go into ketosis (e.g. the "fat fast" diet). Is it at all possible to fundamentally change your individual metabolic oxidization rate (i.e. go from a slow oxidizer to a fast oxidizer) and continue to lose weight, or sustain that lifestyle?

Personally, I'm a mixed R-type oxidizer and I'm not quite sure how the Atkin's diet will work for me. I'm only doing Induction so that I can reset my metabolic baseline in order to experiment with carb intake levels. Since I'm a mixed type, I don't know if my metabolism will swing into fast mode along with the Atkin's lifestyle or if it will rebel against the carb depletion.

Any advice on the above would be helpful. Also, if anyone else is a mixed R-type, please let me know how the Atkin's diet is working for you.

Thanks! And, Happy 4th of July!
If you do some research you will find, that for the short term, very high fat diets can induce ketosis. They are not safe for the long term. I think yes, Atkins will work but it might be harder for some. We all were hunter-gatherers and have the genes; Eskimos have "all kinds of metabolisms?"

After two weeks on a plateau and due to changing doctors and the 4th, even upping a fraction of a pound, I finally lost over a pound. Back in the saddle again.
Rick
Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Rick, and it must feel good to get out a plateau. However, I'm actually going for the whole ketosis thing right now. Probably not going to stay this way forever, but my usual diet was mainly protein and veggies before I gained all this weight. Let me insert a thank you to processed foods (lean pockets, frozen meals, etc.). Haha.

I hope your weightloss journey continues after this. Good luck!