Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Need advice on how to bulk/gain/maintain weight on low fat & low carb diet >

Need advice on how to bulk/gain/maintain weight on low fat & low carb diet

Community
Notices

Need advice on how to bulk/gain/maintain weight on low fat & low carb diet

Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need advice on how to bulk/gain/maintain weight on low fat & low carb diet

I inherited a crappy disease. I have chronic pancreatitis and pre-diabetes. With chronic pancreatitis, I have to maintain a low fat diet to avoid attacks and low carb is recommend to prevent full blown diabetes.

Doc wants me to only consume 30-50 grams a fat a day

So far this has been a big help https://stanfordhealthcare.org/progr...creatitis.html on what foods to avoid, but nothing on calories. If I followed their diet, I would lose weight rapidly.

Otherwise I am 32 year male old who can exercise and lift weights. I would like to consume 3,000-4,000 calories if possible. I am 6'0 and 175lbs. I would like to maintain my weight, it took over 4 years to get to 175lbs, I was 150lbs since high school. Only reason I got to 170 is because I avoided my docs advice, not a good idea. But now I am just skinny fat.

Any advice on diet plan please?

My weight training consist of squats, deadlifts, military press, barbell curls and push-ups.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds like quite a bit of fat to me! For a low-fat diet, I mean. Did your doctor tell you how many calories you can eat each day?

A gram of fat is 9 calories, whereas a carb gram and a protein gram each are 4 calories. That's why fat is so 'fattening.'

So, if you can have 50 grams of fat a day, that's 450 calories. If a tbsp of butter is 100 calories, then that means you can have 4 1/2 tbsp of butter, which is quite a lot! That's not a good example because you get fat in everything you eat (unless it is non-fat). You'd eat perhaps 1 or 2 tbsp of butter (or oil) and then get the rest of your fat elsewhere. It wouldn't be difficult.

Am I right in thinking that if you liit your fats, you can't easily gain weight, and if you limit your carbs, you also can't easily gain weight. But you want to maintain the weight you are at now, and if you go low-carb AND low-fat, you'll lose weight.

The suggestion to drink low-fat Ensure might work. Also, you could ask your doctor if low-fat vegan wouldn't be an option. It's not low-carb but it may stave off diabetes just as effectively. With the Engine 2 diet, used by some vegan firefighters in Austin, TX, you could eat more carbs but less fat. It's a challenging diet, however nowhere near as challenging as eating both low-carb and low-fat, IMO.

If you eat 2500 calories a day, the 450 calories is 18% of your calories.

So enjoy those fat grams!

Last edited by Kathy13118; 02-15-2015 at 05:31 PM.