Community
Notices

Dr. Bernstein diet on my own

Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

Where online did you purchase the b6?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! I did Bernstein about 6 years ago and had great results. However, I put on all my weight and then some. Just started doing it again on my own this morning and found your posts. Where did you end up getting the injections? Do you know how many cc's of each to use. Do we really even need them...my gp told me they were placibos when I did it before.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hey Humble farmer

hi there;
I did the Bernstein about three years ago and lost 13 lbs. in 3 weeks but fell off the wagon. It really is the GREATEST program, but expensive to continue paying for.
I'm back on now, at home and on my own starting today with the food plan but I've been doing the injections for over a week now.
The amount of B vitamins are as follows....
B6 & B12 should be injected at the same time.
Get your needles from the pharmacy (diabetes needles)
Your pharmacist will order the B12 for you and the B6 usually they have in stock...no prescription needed!!
Mix 35cc's of each into your needle...totalling 70cc's
swab your tummy with alcohol....
in the area to the left or right of your belly button approx. 3 inches and about 3-4 inches below (3 out, 3 down) I usually switch sides each time.
make sure to squirt the air out before you inject (but do it gently so as not to lose serum)
Quickly stick the needle in and make sure it's hard enough to go ALL the way in....to put it bluntly-stab yourself!!! haha
The needle is very small and believe me you will hardly feel it at all. Press the plunger on the needle fairly quickly and pull out again....wipe with your alcohol swab again and voila!!! you're done.
Do this 3X/week. Mon/Wed/Fri
The first time I did this, I just really didn't know if I could but after that I found it was really easy and painless.
Just to cover my butt, I must add that I am not a doctor or nurse but this has worked well for me and the amounts I inject were come upon after much research.
Just follow the meal plans and drink your water-8 glasses spread out thru the day. They said the water flushes away the fat!
Good luck!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MarilynMacCallum
hi there;
I'm back on now, at home and on my own starting today with the food plan but I've been doing the injections for over a week now.
Hi! I'm starting the diet tomorrow. How did it go? Are you still on it? Any results yet? I'm very curious
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 PM
FitDay Member

I was controlling the diabetes with diet and exercise. What I mean by diet is the one I was advised to adopt by the diabetes dietician, i.e. to avoid high GI carbohydrates - which I now know to be insufficient to normalise blood sugar levels.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default Just started Bernstein

Hey everyone, hope this thread is still alive. Please excuse this rant, but read if you're considering Bernstein.

TL;DR: Basically I'm new to Bernstein but I'm convinced it DOES work, however it's full of BS, so mysachi has the right idea.

So I just started Bernstein and I'm convinced this diet will work if you stick to it. What I'm not convinced about are the ridiculous amount of vitamins and the injections.

I've been on a much more strict ketosis diets before, most notably a friend of mine was getting a lap band and they made him do an extremely low cal diet for 4 weeks. He lost 35lbs in 4 weeks! So I gave that diet a shot and I ended up losing about 25lbs in 3 weeks. Basically the concept was similar except it consisted of meal replacement shakes and 250 calories of low GI veggies (the list was way more restrictive). The point is, I didn't need a shot and the only vitamin I took was one of those regular multi-vitamins once a day.

I've been asking them for any scientific evidence that these shots are necessary and so far (all 3 times I've been there) the answer as always been "There is no study done but the proof is in the results". This raises some red flags to me.

Another issue I have with the clinic is they base their "goal weight" on their version of BMI. BMI is by far the stupidest calculation because the equations is directly proportional to height. Which means 6 foot tall fat guy weight 250lbs has the same BMI as a body builder who is also 6 foot tall and 250lbs. Go to any gym and ask the trainer there to measure your BMI, and he will get a device that actually measures your lean muscle mass. This isn't a big deal and really has no bearing on the diet, but I'd expect a service I'm paying $200 a week for to at least be customized to me and not follow a generic formula.

They also seem to be pushing their bars and other processed foods on me pretty heavily. I took a look at the bar and I'm pretty sure I can create a nutritionally similar bar at home with protein powder and some granola. I like the idea of a convenient, diet friendly meal that's ready to go but they never tell you how you can find or make foods that aren't on the list. This was the final nail in the coffin for me. I did the Zone diet a few years back and that was great because, like Bernstein, they had their own bars as well. However, unlike Bernstein, the literature taught you to pick up any food from the grocery story and adapt it to the diet by calculating the macro nutrients and to identify good and bad carbs/fats/proteins. Bernstien is not a sustainable diet because it doesn't teach you how to eat, it just tells you what to eat.

I'm going to finish out this week with them and then I'm going rogue! mysachi was onto something I think. I think you can do this diet without them and without the shots. I'm definitely going to try and I'll report back here on my success or failure. I'm definitely not trying to discourage anyone from trying it, I know the morning check in motivate me to keep it up but for the price I'm going to try and take that onto myself.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

I did the Bernstein diet for several years. It worked reasonably well, but in January 2018 I discovered that there are serious long term problems with it.
I then discovered a much better diet for diabetes.
See masteringdiabetes,org
It is run by Cyrus Khambatta & Robby Barbaro based in California. Both have diabetes type 1. Cyrus has a PhD in Nutritional Biology & he spent 5 years studying insulin resistance.
They have a private Facebook page to allow members to ask questions & receive advice from "coaches" & other members.
There is a fee to gain access to the Facebook page I think I paid $250 US for one year. I have recently paid for another year.
There are many reports by members of how their diabetes has improved. Some have been able to reduce or eliminate their medication.
They all report weight loss. The diet is a much less restrictive than the Bernstein one.
You also get access to their training courses. You will find a link to an explanation by Cryus where he explains the problems with the Bernstein type diets.
I wish I had known about this diet several years ago.
Len

Last edited by xocnel; 02-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.