FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   MEDITERRANEAN DIET OR GI DIET? Which one is better? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/1157-mediterranean-diet-gi-diet-one-better.html)

terribear27 05-26-2010 04:48 AM

MEDITERRANEAN DIET OR GI DIET? Which one is better?

Has anyone tried either of these diets? I am considering beginning one but am not sure which one would be better and I do not want to buy 2 books to decide. I have research both as much as possible for free. So I was hoping someone out there had advice for me. Thanks!

maddash 05-26-2010 10:42 AM

GI Diet (also Simply for Life)

Hi Terry,

A couple of years ago I did the Simply For Life diet, which was based on the GI diet. It's the best diet I've ever done... I lost 20 pounds without exercise (well, walking occasionally). I was never hungry (sometime there was too much food) and my skin never looked better. My PMS (which is generally pretty severe) all but disappeared. My husband lost 50 pounds in this time period. But, like any diet.. as soon as we stopped doing it the weight came back on. It was a lot of work for me in shopping and meal preparation. If one could discipline themselves to prepare the meals and eat the snacks, it really is the way to go.

mediterraneandoc 05-26-2010 12:39 PM

Terribear, are you interested in weight loss, overall health and longevity, or both?

The time-honored Mediterranean diet is well-documented to be one of the healthiest ones out there, with improved longevity and lower rates of heart disease, cancer (breast, uterus, prostate, and colon), dementia, and diabetes type 2.

The "GI diet" (there's more than one) may do the same; we just don't have long-term scientific data.

For weight loss, the Sonoma Diet by Connie Gutterson is Mediterranean-based and a good one. I've written a Mediterranean-style weight-loss book, but won't mention it here because that would probably violate the user agreement. But it's good, too. There's also a "Miami Mediterranean Diet" book that I've not read.

Good luck.

-Steve

terribear27 05-27-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mediterraneandoc (Post 11905)
Terribear, are you interested in weight loss, overall health and longevity, or both?

The time-honored Mediterranean diet is well-documented to be one of the healthiest ones out there, with improved longevity and lower rates of heart disease, cancer (breast, uterus, prostate, and colon), dementia, and diabetes type 2.

The "GI diet" (there's more than one) may do the same; we just don't have long-term scientific data.

For weight loss, the Sonoma Diet by Connie Gutterson is Mediterranean-based and a good one. I've written a Mediterranean-style weight-loss book, but won't mention it here because that would probably violate the user agreement. But it's good, too. There's also a "Miami Mediterranean Diet" book that I've not read.

Good luck.

-Steve

Originally Posted by maddash (Post 11897)
Hi Terry,

A couple of years ago I did the Simply For Life diet, which was based on the GI diet. It's the best diet I've ever done... I lost 20 pounds without exercise (well, walking occasionally). I was never hungry (sometime there was too much food) and my skin never looked better. My PMS (which is generally pretty severe) all but disappeared. My husband lost 50 pounds in this time period. But, like any diet.. as soon as we stopped doing it the weight came back on. It was a lot of work for me in shopping and meal preparation. If one could discipline themselves to prepare the meals and eat the snacks, it really is the way to go.

Hi Guys!
Thanks for your feedback! In general, I was looking for something that I could stick with for life rather than consider it a diet. I want to lose weight and improve my health. Though I really don't have any health problems other than being over weight. I went to the library and then to the book store last night. I felt like the GI diet seemed complicated and was not sure I would stick with it since I was unable to find out how you calculate the GI.

So I went with the Meditteranean Diet, I purchased both the Mediterranean Prescription and the Miami Mediterranean Diet. I agree with you ,Steve, in that there seems to be more research on this diet and its proven effectiveness. I wish I had looked at the Sonoma diet, but chose to stick with the Miami one instead. Today was day 1 so we will see how things go.

Maddash, I never heard of Simply for Life I will have to check it out. Again, thanks so much for the feedback. I just check now after I already purchased the books. However, I have no regrets. I really feel good about my choice. It is to be my way of eating for life. Have a great day!!!:D

terribear27 05-29-2010 12:01 AM

Well, I have been doing this diet for only 2 days and LOVE how easy it is to follow. I feel satisfied and enjoy the wide variety of foods. Even though I did well on Atkins, this is much better because the only foods that are eliminated are the highly processed ones, including white flour and sugar. I feel great and my bowels are much more regular. WOOOHOOO!

Meggietye 02-04-2011 05:38 AM

My dear Mom actually raised us eating a Mediterranean diet and no one had a weight problem. I raised my kids the same way, again no on had a weight problem. I got really sick with 3 diseases and gained 70 lbs and now I am in here and going back to my roots. I think the food is great and I hope you do too!!

hawaiiansiren 02-11-2011 08:40 AM

Have you considered the eat right and exercise diet? Eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight (30% should be good) then when you lose the weight eat at your maintainance level? Exercise per the amount of food you're eating. I suggest checking out a commercial bodybuilding site for some ideas on diet and lifestyle changes.