Notices

Some help for a troubled guy?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member

Creating a calorie deficit is what you want, while not starving yourself. Even if you bumped up to 1500-1800 per day, and then ensure enough exercise to create the deficit you're looking for, would help.

At 5'11 and 80kg you are a normal, healthy weight - Perhaps instead of focusing on weight loss, you could look at switching to strength training and calisthenics to tone? It sounds like your stomach is the concern more than your overall weight; perhaps building and toning the muscle is more what you need to go for

Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by paisleyjane
Creating a calorie deficit is what you want, while not starving yourself. Even if you bumped up to 1500-1800 per day, and then ensure enough exercise to create the deficit you're looking for, would help.

At 5'11 and 80kg you are a normal, healthy weight - Perhaps instead of focusing on weight loss, you could look at switching to strength training and calisthenics to tone? It sounds like your stomach is the concern more than your overall weight; perhaps building and toning the muscle is more what you need to go for

Yeah exactly, I was trying to create a calorie deficit through exercise and controlling calories, have been doing it for about 2 weeks and I think I may have lost some weight but I'm just looking for the most effective way to loose weight. The reason I posted on here was because I was scared if if cut my caolorie intake too much I might slow my metabolism down and actually start gaining weight which is the last thing I want! I just want to loose weight as quickly as possible although I'm sure that's what everyone here wants lol

Yes my stomach area is my main concern, it just seems to be where I carry all my excess weight, the rest of my body is pretty fat free now (i can see my ribs, feel my hip bones and am down to a 33 inch waist). I just want a flat stomach where it isn't flabby, it has always been my most hated feature and now I've started to loose weight it still persists

I'm going to get some scales this week so I can accruatly see how much weight I'm loosing (if at all). I'm hoping to loose 3/4 pounds a week for 6 weeks before I go home for the holidays but would be satisified with 2 pounds a week I guess. Anything that gets rid of being able to grab my stomach.

It seems no matter what I can do it won't go, I'm walking 11-12 km a day and only on around 1000 calories, if this is too few I can up it to 1500 but, again, I'm scared of gaining weight, I couldn't stand to see myself getting fatter.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hey guys,

So I got some more accurate scales today and it turns out I'm 75 kg, at 5-10/5-11 tall that just about puts me in the "healthy" BMI range (23.6). So if I want a flat stomach and to just generally look skinnier do I just continue dieting and exercising or is there something more I can do?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CameronPoe
Hey guys,

So I got some more accurate scales today and it turns out I'm 75 kg, at 5-10/5-11 tall that just about puts me in the "healthy" BMI range (23.6). So if I want a flat stomach and to just generally look skinnier do I just continue dieting and exercising or is there something more I can do?
Check out marks daily apple. I was in the same boat, and kind of "skinny fat" but my BMI was 24.5. I still "weight" the same, but I look way better, have more muscle, and the stomach that everyone wants.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Cameron,
Since you're already at a healthy weight, it definitely sounds to me that you should looking at changing your body composition (meaning burn fat and gain muscle). If you don't have access to a trainer, I would recommend the following books to help get you started (you can find them on amazon and possibly even at your local library)

"Burn the Fat, Feed the Muslce" by Tom Venuto

"The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove

"The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged: Ten All-New Muscle-Building Programs for Men and Women" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove
Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Burkeomatic
Check out marks daily apple. I was in the same boat, and kind of "skinny fat" but my BMI was 24.5. I still "weight" the same, but I look way better, have more muscle, and the stomach that everyone wants.
Does this "primal" lifestyle thing really work then? it seems like a bit of a scam/fad but what do I know?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lildebbieg
Hi Cameron,
Since you're already at a healthy weight, it definitely sounds to me that you should looking at changing your body composition (meaning burn fat and gain muscle). If you don't have access to a trainer, I would recommend the following books to help get you started (you can find them on amazon and possibly even at your local library)

"Burn the Fat, Feed the Muslce" by Tom Venuto

"The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove

"The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged: Ten All-New Muscle-Building Programs for Men and Women" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove
Thanks very much for the recommendations, I'll get one of the books and see what it says, from reading some reviews of the books it seems I'll have to join a gym. I'm quite self conscious so I think I'll try to lose another 7-10 KG and then join the gym on campus and start the lifting regimes.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

I don't think you need to join a gym to put on muscle. Even with doing body weight only exercises, you can start to build a good solid base of muscle.

Have you ever looked at any workout dvds....like beachbody? I almost hate pointing you in the direction of beachbody...but at least it's something you can do at home and it's all laid out for you so you don't have to plan anything. I would suggest P90X or Body Beast. Both of those are more focused on building muscle. If you don't want to spend money, you could always check out youtube...tons of free stuff! Brett Hobel, Scott Herman, Fitness Blender, Bob Harper, etc.

If y ou want to workout at home without any investment in equipment, you should check out a book by Mark Lauren called "You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises"...no equipment required! I've heard great things about this book!

My point is, don't look for reasons why you can't....look for ways that you can! There is a lot of information out there, so I know it can feel daunting, but you need to figure out what works for you. Another free youtube channel I found that had good information is a channel called 'Feeding Fitness'. The guy who runs this channel successfully not only lost weight, but significantly changed his body composition. Check it out!

There is so much info out there....read it all with a grain of salt and decide on what you're willing to do....then try that for a few weeks and see if you start to see changes. If not, change your course of action! (again referring to the book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto)
Old 02-15-2015, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

5 meals but you must in every meal eat about 300-400 calorie if you want to do something with your weight and you must bring some exercise in your plan if this don`t help you can use some hcg stuff

Last edited by Kathy13118; 03-09-2015 at 06:26 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for everyone for helping me along the way on my weight loss journey it really does mean a lot and I can't thank you enough for all your help.

I have my weight down to 70 KG and have been hovering around this figure for about 2 weeks now and no matter what I do I can't make it drop any lower, I have maitained the exact same weight loss/exercise/diet plan I have been following to go from 80 kg (or so) down to 70 but now I can't seem to get even 1 kg lower and it is most frustrating as my goal weight is 62/63 kg.

Is there any advice you guys can give? Is there such a thing as "bottoming out" where on my current weight loss plan I am simply unable to lose any more weight and thus need to take an even more aggressive plan to get blow 70 kg?? My current plan should provide a 10,500 calorie deficit allowing me to lose 2-3 pounds a week ie 1 kg but there is no evidence I am actually losing anything anymore.

I'm really confused and quite down about this right now as I was feeling good that I was losing weight but now it has plateaued

Thanks in advance guys

Cameron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.