FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Some help for a troubled guy? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/11496-some-help-troubled-guy.html)

AprilMcClintock 11-06-2014 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CameronPoe (Post 111957)
Hi everyone, I am Cameron, 21 and in university. I weigh about 79/80 KG and am 5" 11. For about 2-3 weeks I've been keeping to under 1000 calories a day (1-2 meals a day, no snacks, bar 3/4 exceptions), drinking lots of water and in the past 10 days have started walking 8-10 kilometres daily.

The problem is, I don't appear to be losing any weight whatsoever, every time I weigh myself it is on the 79/80 KG figure. I've followed pretty much all the advice the NHS and others recommend but it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

I am desperate to lose weight as being overweight has a real impact on my self confidence and I just want to look good for myself. I feel once I see the weight coming off it will be much easier to keep up the momentum, as it stands I feel I am putting myself through all this( eating substantially less and far less enjoyable food than everyone around me) for little tangible gain.

Any advice/explanations you guys could give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Cameron

Just cutting your calories intake without eating the right foods is usually not the best way to lose weight. You need to make a few other changes on your diet in order to maintain a calorie deficit in the long run. Eat more proteins as this can reduce appetite and help increase the amount of calories you burn. Avoid sugary drinks and reduce carbohydrates intake. Also, continue your exercise routine and drink more water.

Aside from these, you can also try natural weight loss supplements for better results. There are lots of supplements out there that can help you lose weight, while helping you maintain a healthy body.

CameronPoe 11-25-2014 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by tekkychick (Post 111967)
I'd agree you aren't eating enough. You aren't all that much overweight; what are you aiming for, 72kg? that's not something that needs such a drastic cut in calories. In general, men should have at least 1800 calories a day. So up your foods, just keep it healthy, and keep the walking going, and you'll be fine.

If not, then I would check with your doctor for other factors.

Hi :),

I'm aiming for a weight around 70 kg. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake below 1000 a day (once a week I might splurge and have a 1500-1800 calorie day), I've been walking daily almost without fail. I've noticed some positive changes as far as weight loss is concerned, it's not as fast as I would like but I guess any step in the right direction is a good thing. I'm pretty sure my waist has gone down considerably, can't say the same about my belly unfortunately and this is the main place I would like to lose the weight.

Thanks for the reply!

CameronPoe 11-25-2014 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by AprilMcClintock (Post 112103)
Just cutting your calories intake without eating the right foods is usually not the best way to lose weight. You need to make a few other changes on your diet in order to maintain a calorie deficit in the long run. Eat more proteins as this can reduce appetite and help increase the amount of calories you burn. Avoid sugary drinks and reduce carbohydrates intake. Also, continue your exercise routine and drink more water.

Aside from these, you can also try natural weight loss supplements for better results. There are lots of supplements out there that can help you lose weight, while helping you maintain a healthy body.

Thanks for the advice! I do not consume sugary drinks, pretty much the only thing I drink is water and I'm drinking around 2-2.5 litres of water a day. I've been eating about 6 Brazil nuts and 4/5 Pistacihos a day to increase protein and "healthy" oils.

CameronPoe 11-25-2014 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kwest85blue (Post 111979)
5 meals averaging 300 calories each would be ideal, so say if you have a 400 calorie meal....your next one could be 200. you need healthy carbs w/fiber too, I mainly stick with black beans, edamame, quinoa burgers... To incorporate those healthy fats heres what I do... For breakfast I have 1 egg + 2 egg whites, and then 1tsp. of either virgin coconut oil or 2T avocado on top. 3-4 hours later, ill have a 400 calorie salad that consists of power greens, .3oz raw pistachio nuts, .3oz raw pecans, 1/4c black beans, chopped up mushrooms, beets, broccoli, cauliflower...or whatever your veg preferences are , and then for the dressing... 1/2T extra virgin olive oil, lime or lemon juice tp taste, and pepper, and any other spices you like EXCEPT salt... then 3-4 hours later I have 1cup plain greek yogurt w/ 2 T ground flax seeds... and so on. Typically I look at a package and have 1/2 of whatever the serving size is when im making a big salad. Just keep in mind that my calorie intake is around 1100 -1200 calories as Im 5'8" 130lb female..so I don't require as much... like I said you need to be around 1500-1700 being male and taller than me. If you have any other qs, please ask.

Thank you so much for your reply, certainly given me lots of suggestions that I'm definitely going to look to try and incorporate in my diet.

Thank you again,

Kind regards :)

Kathy13118 11-25-2014 10:15 AM

Fitday's food log is a good tool for tracking the number of calories you are eating. You just have to make sure you have an accurate measurement of the foods.

A good thing to remember is that you don't eat more calories and move less to lose weight! It's seems like a simple enough thing, but it's amazing all the ways people can come up with try to modify that statement. I lost weight when I was a teenager, working in a Kentucky Fried Chicken fast food restaurant, eating mainly biscuits, fried foods, gravy, Coca-Cola, and mashed potatoes.

It helped that I was dirt poor that summer and we had absolutely nothing for snacking. And not even a stove in our rented room!

It also helped that you quickly get bored eating the same foods and so you eat less of it.

CameronPoe 01-21-2015 05:09 AM

Hey guys,

So i've been dieting for the past 2 or so months and can definetly feel the difference, I've lost 2-3 (maybe 4) inches around my waist (I can tell because I've had to buy new trousers lol) and I've noticed I've lost all over my body including my belly but this is the one area where I am still carrying most of my fat and I really want to just get rid of it and then I'll be pretty much content.

Is there anyway I can actually target the belly for weight loss or just continue with eat less, move more routine and it should go eventually anyway?

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Cameron

Kathy13118 01-22-2015 05:25 AM

It goes away eventually with your weight loss. You can really make a difference in how you look by doing core exercises (exercises that target the 'core' of your body - stomach and back). You can google 'target core exercises' to see some. I like Pilates which is a set of exercises you can google also.

CameronPoe 01-24-2015 01:04 PM

Thanks Kathy I'm going to start doing some core strengthening exercises from Monday.

Guys, I was just wondering if I could run my weight loss plan by you. My goal is to loose 3-4 pounds a week so that in 6 weeks I'd have lost 18-24 pounds and hopefully my belly should be gone by then.

To do this I will

- eat around 1000 calories a day for 5 days a week and 5-600 a day for 2 non-consecutive days (5:2 diet seems to be succesful). I'll aim to eat my 5 a day fruit and vegetables each day. Addtionally I will have "healthy oils" such as olive oil a few times a week, eat raw nuts every day and some pumpkin seeds.

-Drink 2-2.5 litres

-No alchohol (not that I drink)

-Walk 9-10 KM every day.

I've heard that to loose 1 pound you need to have a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories so to lose 3 pounds you need to have a calorie deficit of 10,500 in a week and under this plan I should be able to attain that.

I want to lose weight so badly around my belly area and am so self conscious about it and once it is gone I feel I will be so much happier about myself and stop caring about weight.

Do you think I'll be successful in reaching my goal of losing this weight target in 6 weeks?

paisleyjane 01-25-2015 08:27 AM

It still sounds like you'll be eating too little. When you eat too little, it's actually harder to lose weight. Your body goes into a sortof "starvation mode" and refuses to shed fat. Eat enough that your body can function properly, and it will happily lose the rest. You may need to either extend your deadline or eat more balanced with more exercise to make it.

If you've ever seen an athlete eat, you'll understand. They put away THOUSANDS of calories in a day, because their bodies are working really hard burning it all up. They stay lean and fit because the balance is right.

I've personally never really found "lose x lbs by x date" to be a good way to go; it can often end in disappointment. There are so many other factors that contribute, like sleep, water, vitamins, well-being.

If you increase your calories with healthy foods, incorporate some core strength exercises with your cardio, and set your goal weight with a more reasonable time limit (or none at all)... you can totally be successful.

I have lost 165 lbs and it took a lot of dedication. I can also say that reaching your goal doesn't mean you can simply "stop caring about your weight", you definitely will need to maintain a healthy lifestyle of clean eating and exercise, or you will find yourself right back at square one.

I look forward to seeing your progress, you can totally do this!! If you have more questions or need more help, definitely post!

CameronPoe 01-25-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by paisleyjane (Post 113844)
It still sounds like you'll be eating too little. When you eat too little, it's actually harder to lose weight. Your body goes into a sortof "starvation mode" and refuses to shed fat. Eat enough that your body can function properly, and it will happily lose the rest. You may need to either extend your deadline or eat more balanced with more exercise to make it.

If you've ever seen an athlete eat, you'll understand. They put away THOUSANDS of calories in a day, because their bodies are working really hard burning it all up. They stay lean and fit because the balance is right.

I've personally never really found "lose x lbs by x date" to be a good way to go; it can often end in disappointment. There are so many other factors that contribute, like sleep, water, vitamins, well-being.

If you increase your calories with healthy foods, incorporate some core strength exercises with your cardio, and set your goal weight with a more reasonable time limit (or none at all)... you can totally be successful.

I have lost 165 lbs and it took a lot of dedication. I can also say that reaching your goal doesn't mean you can simply "stop caring about your weight", you definitely will need to maintain a healthy lifestyle of clean eating and exercise, or you will find yourself right back at square one.

I look forward to seeing your progress, you can totally do this!! If you have more questions or need more help, definitely post!

Thanks for the replay! but how do I know how many calories to have so my body can function properly?