Notices

Vegan/Weight Loss?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Vegan/Weight Loss?

Hey there ! Now I know that this question is vague given that you have to take in my metabolism, body shape , etc to really answer this question but id like to see if anyone could give me an estimate .
I am currently 155 pounds, female who works a desk job (at a gym) full time. I eat junk food on a weekly basis and although I don't eat horribly other than that, I can't say I get enough veggies or fruits and have been slacking off on the gym.
My goal is to be around 130 pounds. If I adopt a vegan diet , eat around 1100-1200 calories per day, exercise five times per week with a 15 minute cardio warmup, an hour of weights an then a half an hour cardio workout at the end plus doing yoga once a week , taking cla , an amino acid complex , multivitamin, protein shake and creotine as well as cutting out all junk food in my diet, how quickly do you think I could attain my goal ?
Thank you !

Last edited by Lamarama; 01-21-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Your best bet would be to plug all your data into FitDay or another calculator online. Your metabolism will vary too much to hazard a guess...depends on height, age, activity, how close you are to goal weight. etc. In order to estimate how quickly you can lose to your goal, you would need to know your deficit (calories burned minus calories consumed). From that, and the knowledge that it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, you can calculate how long it will take.

I'm not sure how fast you want to lose, but keep in mind two things, just as an aside: first, safe and sustainable loss is considered 1-2 pounds per week (unless you are extremely overweight and in the first weeks you will lose rapidly in that case), and that some people find that weight loss stalls if calories are too low, as the body attempts to compensate and slows the metabolism. This happens for some but not others; everyone that it happens to has a different baseline, but it is generally bandied about that 1200 is about as low as you should go on a daily basis in order to prevent this.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
FitDay Member

I don't agree Nastel. I know some vegetarians who struggle with their weight, you can still eat unhealthy- simple sugars, processed foods, too much pasta.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
FitDay Member

Thats a pretty nice workout plan !!
U r going on good track going on you can lose 7-8 lbs per month !!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Vegan diets are more preferable because it consists of only leafy and green vegetables and fruits which are rich in nutrition and fibers and low in calories. So if you are going for vegan food items there are unlimited options with low calories.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

I changed my way of eating to a vegan with lots of raw veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds. No processed foods, no sodas, no sweets, no artifical sweetners, no meat, and no dairy, no white flour! I dont eat anything white. If its white it aint right! I drink 1 gallon or more of pure water a day. It was for my health, and treating my body the way it should have always been treated. The weight is falling off to. It truly has changed my life and my skin looks amazing. I just feel pure and clean on the inside

I also run long distance.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by MzMiNi; 06-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

One advantage of a vegan or vegetarian diet over a meat-eating diet is that the vegetables don't contain a lot of fat (fat has 9 calories per gram while protein and carbs each have just 4). Meat contains fat. It just does, with the exception of skinless boneless poached or boiled (or broiled without any fat whatsoever) chicken breast. Not the thigh, not other parts of the chicken.

So, the key to your description of a regimen is calories (plus exercise). You get to eat more volume of low-fat and no-fat food when you cut meat out of your diet. The reason to watch bread or rolls is to know how much fat (basically, calories) they contain.

I've known people who lose weight quickly on a vegan diet because it is so new and strange to them. They completely change the way they are eating. That doesn't mean you can stick with that way of eating. The same applies to low-carb, fasting, and every other diet that shows short-term results.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 11-07-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

I just started a new diet called VB6, which stands for Vegan Before 6:00PM. The basic jist of the diet is simple, eat a Vegan diet until 6, then anything in moderation after that. There's a book out which guides you thru the whole diet called "VB6" by Mark Bittman, You can Google it for more information.

I'm finding myself already feeling better, not bloated at all, feeling full by just eating vegan type meals during the day. The book promotes eating vegetables, fruits whole grains....high fiber...until 6:00....so you're not totally vegan, but once you try it you might like it....the book has lots of clinical data that supports the diet, lots of vegan and regular recipes...it's a very good book. He claims he lost 35 pounds in just a few months on the diet.

At Mark Bittman.com, you can find interviews about the diet with Mark.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

In my vegan travels on the internet, I was recommended a book called "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. The author is a very prominent researcher and has done research for decades on the effects of plant-based diets vrs animal product diets....the bottom line is he strongly recommends a plant-based diet for weight loss, cancer prevention, eliminate diabetes, reverse heart disease, cataracts, arthritis ,,,,list goes on and on. He dispels myths about animal proteins and says to stay away from them, he's against cow's milk, it causes all kinds of problems, he says to stick with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. His research findings are all in the book and after reading them, I'm going strictly vegan. He also is vegan.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Well I've been on the vegan diet for three weeks now, and have dropped 7.3 pounds !!

According to the FitDay Goal Chart, I'm right on track with my weight loss goal.

7.3 pounds may not sound like much, but boy can I feel the difference !!!

Somebody else recommended to drink PU ERH Tea for weight loss, so I bought some off the internet because I couldn't find it locally...It seems to help with digestion and weight loss, I like it, it has a nice smooth flavor to it. I'm going to buy more.

Last edited by djwayne; 07-09-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.