Notices

Losing weight before pregnancy

Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Just make sure to not under eat especially once you become pregnant. My wife didn't lose weight before pregnancy but she did once we had the baby and I did too. I will say a new baby is a good workout. From carrying her to pushing her in strollers to carrying her in a sling; she gave both of us good daily workouts.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

anderson02 - reading your post was like reading my mind! i'm doing the exact same thing. my husband and I are going to start trying to conceive in early September (after my 30th birthday). and i want to lose at least 20 pounds before i get pregnant - for the exact same reason as you: if I have to gain weight during pregnancy - i'd rather have a lower "starting" weight.

my goal is to lose 20 lbs in 10 weeks (so, mid-July). this way, i'll have about 2 months to figure out how to maintain that weight. i'm also hoping that my taking control of my eating habits NOW - i'll have more self-control during the pregnancy and only gain the recommended amount, as opposed to using pregnancy to self-indulge and gain way more weight than necessary.

glad to meet someone else w/ the same plan as myself!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in here, but I have to say as the mother of 3 that there is no predicting how, when, what and where you will be hungry as a pregnant woman. The cravings come on suddenly, and are sometimes for things you normally would never eat, and sometimes even if you eat what you're craving it doesn't go away. All 3 of my pregnancies were vastly different from each other. I didn't gain a ton with any of them, 30 pounds or so each, but I was heavy to start with. But I also had different experiences losing the weight afterward with each of them. If you think cravings are a problem when pregnant, cravings from breast feeding can be much much worse. It gave me cravings for ice cream, chocolate shakes, sugar cookies, kielbasa with lots of mustard, just to name a few. It's all well and good to make a plan and to try and execute it, but you might also want to prepare yourself for the fact that junior won't have the foggiest notion of your plan and will come wired to blow it out of the water for no apparent reason.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kathryn. It is good to see someone that shares my plan. Keep me posted on your progress! I have done really well until last weekend. We had not been out in awhile so I wanted to go and let go of the dieting; I felt like I needed a break from everything. Unfortunately it has taken me a few days to get back on track. I have still been entering every overindulgence in my food log and weight fluctuation in my weight log so I can also identify those trends. I am only 1.8 pounds above my lowest weight since starting this. The only downside is I have lost a week of potential additional loss due to just getting back to my pre-binge days. Oh well, it's all part of a bigger picture, right? I am really confident that I am back on track and can stay there today.

Last edited by anderson02; 05-07-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Red face

i am right there with you all!! i have about 10lbs to go to get to my goal weight before i want to start trying... but i have had 10lbs to go for the past 2 months! i can't seem to get past this weight! i have had a lot of set back days of bingeing (i will stick with my healthy diet perfectly for 5 or 6 days, but by day 7 i'm eating anything and everything in site)... which really disappoints me because i want to get into healthy habits so that they carry over into pregnancy and eventually passed on to my children... but if i can't get myself right, i don't feel like i deserve to have a baby... i definitely need some encouragement right now...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hi wellmanjs,

First of all, there is no "don't deserve to have a baby"! If you only have ten pounds to go, you are far and away ahead of most people in the country right now...do you realize how many people are obese? If we all waited till we were 100% "well" in all ways, well, the human race would die out! A baby doesn't need a mom who does everything perfectly all the time...including nutrition! As your child grows up, he/she will hopefully see you making good choices most of the time and compensating for mistakes, getting back on the horse. That is far more valuable to a child than someone who insists on getting it right all the time, really it is!

Secondly, if you are bingeing on everything in sight on the 6th or 7th day, maybe the other days are too restrictive? I know in my experience, I was a little more relaxed this time I tried to lose the weight (I ate all the calories I was allotted instead of believing that fewer would help the weight fall off quicker), and this was the time I DID lose the last 10 pounds I thought I never would.

I wish you luck and I completely understand wanting to do everything right. I'm a mom, too. But as long as you are eating healthy and exercising, the baby won't care if you're ten pounds over your goal weight, and I seriously doubt that's enough to pose a health risk .
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wellmanjs
i am right there with you all!! i have about 10lbs to go to get to my goal weight before i want to start trying... but i have had 10lbs to go for the past 2 months! i can't seem to get past this weight! i have had a lot of set back days of bingeing (i will stick with my healthy diet perfectly for 5 or 6 days, but by day 7 i'm eating anything and everything in site)... which really disappoints me because i want to get into healthy habits so that they carry over into pregnancy and eventually passed on to my children... but if i can't get myself right, i don't feel like i deserve to have a baby... i definitely need some encouragement right now...
I assume you made the statement about not deserving a baby because you feel it is important to gain control of your own life before taking on the responsibility of caring for another. I think that is okay, just don't be too hard on yourself. Perhaps you are being too restrictive. Or you are viewing this too much as a "diet" and not a lifestyle change. Face it, no one wants to be on a "diet". I say start with small changes and feel good about those small changes; that will in turn lead to bigger ones. Baby steps (no pun intended - well maybe it was!).

Here's an example - I wanted to make an actual attainable New Years Resolution a couple of years ago. So I said I would eat more fruits and vegetables. Well I found out I don't like veggies all that much but I really did like fruit. I also decided to refine my goal to eat "more fruits" and set a standard of trying to eat 2 pieces per day. I made that resolution over 2 years ago and maintain it to this day. I am now trying to eat more veggies as well.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for your encouragement, both of your posts made me feel better... but you are right, I do feel like I need to be in complete control of my life before taking on the responsibility of anothers... but I also agree that no one is perfect and that if everyone did that, the human race would die out! ha! congrats, johnson, on keeping your weight even below your goal!! that is quite a feat! you all are an inspiration!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

I know how you feel, I just don't want my girls to have body issues like I did in high school. I think it is good to teach them self control but also good to show them that we accept ourselves even if we are still working on that last 10 pounds (which I am)... Good luck wellmanjs!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up I am in the same spot...

I am in the same spot but much heavier then you. I wish you good luck and its smart that you are thinking ahead for your health and the babys.. I wish you and your husband sooooo much luck and love!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.