FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Q about BMR estimation... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/9744-q-about-bmr-estimation.html)

fun4nothn 06-20-2013 08:02 AM

Q about BMR estimation...

So a lot of online calculators say my BMR should be around 2000 calories. However, I have been losing weight faster than would be predicted by my calorie deficit. I've lost 0.4 lbs per day for the last 10 days eating 1600 calories. I have not been able to exercise because I have had to switch to working nights during this period... i've really just been working (desk job) and sleeping.

Which got me thinking:

If my BMR really was 2000 calories, then I would expect (2000-1600)/3500 = 0.11 pounds per day (assuming it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn a pound).

If I am losing 0.4 lbs per day, then I must be running a calorie deficit of 0.4*3500 = 1400 per day. This would mean by BMR is actually closer to 1400 + 1630 = 3030 calories.

Is this correct? I want to know approximately how many calories I can eat per day to maintain my weight once I reach my goal.

uga09 06-25-2013 08:55 AM

When did you start trying to loose weight? Initially, you will loose a fair amount of weight pretty easy during the first 2-3 weeks. Over time things seem to average out closer to what the simple math suggests. There will even be times when you are eating less than your BMR and you will actually gain weight. However, back to your question; to even guess if what your BMR is we would need to know your age, sex, height and weight. While everyone is different it is highly unlikely that your metabolism would be that drastically different.

Also remember there is a difference between BMR and daily caloric needs. BMR only accounts for what your body needs if you do NOTHING. Based on your stated activity level you would need to multiply your BMR by 1.2 to get an estimate for daily calories burned. If you are really interested/concerned you can actually have test run where doctors measure the amount of C02 when you exhale to determine a more accurate BMR.

Maya271 06-26-2013 01:54 AM

You lose mostly water during the first days of a diet.

Not all weight loss is good weight loss, and unfortunately, the faster you drop weight, the more muscle you lose.

The longer one is on a diet that severely restricts calories, the harder it is to keep losing weight. As the body loses more muscle mass, the body’s overall metabolic rate decreases, since a resting muscle cell burns almost eight times more energy per day than a fat cell.

Find time for exercise, no weight-loss plan is complete without: nutrition, rest and proper training.

In the process, you will become preoccupied with calories, especially on the low cal plans. Keep track of calories and exercise.

---------------------------

Age 48, Height 5' 3"
Start date: April 22, 2013

Start weight: 150 lbs/68 kg
Current weight: 130 lbs/59 kg
walking, cycling