Notices

How often do you step on the scale?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kauwela
I wasn't sure where it would be more appropriate to post this but it does have to do with weight loss. I was wondering what everyone's feelings were on the scale. Do you weigh everyday, once a week or what? I was weighing everyday, but I feel like if I do that I am setting myself up for failure since weight can fluctuate from day to day. I was thinking about going to once a week. Any thoughts or ideas or what works for everyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
I too have been wondering what would be the best answer on your scale question. This is what I have come up with.....
I think that if we are acheiving our caloric and exercise goals ,and are tracking religiously on a daily basis a weekly weigh in would work.
If however for whatever reason we are deviating from our plans perhaps jumping on the scale daily would be better , as it will give us immediate information and we can act accordingly.
There really isn't a right or wrong answer.It's whatever works for you.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

I used to weigh once a week, now I weigh 2-3 times a week (always Monday and Friday, sometimes Wednesdays too). I think as I've lost more weight and gotten smaller, checking in more often feels more necessary, since I need to manage things more tightly. But I think in the end whatever seems worth it for you is probably correct!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default yes the scale

I too have had a battle with going on the scale too often. I have started my wieght loss with a couple of days of fasting and would love to see the numbers move in my favor, but they havent. This is a little discouraging for me. I wanted to cleanse my body before i started on my goal. Has anyone else done this and how did it work for them? I believe that stepping on the scale should be a positive experience, and if it goes up in numbers then its water and how is the best way to eliminate this? The scale is a person thing for me. Thank you for this post!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

When I first started on this weigh-loss journey, I weighed myself once a week and logged it on Fitday. It seems the most humane way to go about it because then I can really notice whether or not I'm losing weight and I wouldn't obsess about the daily gains/losses, especially at first. 8 months later, I'll occasionally weigh myself once in the morning and once in the evening just to see what the difference is. If I've eaten lots of salty foods and carbs the weight difference from morning to night can be up to 5 lbs, especially during "that time of the month". I've learned not to freak out, that it's just water retention. It's an educational process for me, learning what my body likes and doesn't like (for example, I have learned that my tastbuds love the taste of Doritos, but my body doesn't and reacts by retaining water...doh!).

With regards to "cleansing", my experience is limited only to when I started. Anecdote: I bought some "cleansing" tablets hoping this would jump start my diet but after about a week, found that I was more bunged up than ever and that the only thing that was cleansed was my wallet

Last edited by strangeways88; 08-31-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

I was weighing every day, but I find that as long as I stick to my FitDay tracking/goals, I really don't need to. But then again, sometimes I feel like reverting back to every day. So I'm terribly inconsistent in this regard.

A friend of mine has an electronic scale. She obsesses over if the scale went up 0.3 pounds from the day before. It makes her anxious and sad as well. Never use an electronic scale is my recommendation, they're just too accurate!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I was weighing every day, but I find that as long as I stick to my FitDay tracking/goals, I really don't need to. But then again, sometimes I feel like reverting back to every day. So I'm terribly inconsistent in this regard.

A friend of mine has an electronic scale. She obsesses over if the scale went up 0.3 pounds from the day before. It makes her anxious and sad as well. Never use an electronic scale is my recommendation, they're just too accurate!
I agree! My scale only has .5 lb resolution and that's bad (or good) enough for me. I'd be even happier if it only weighed in full pounds, to be honest!

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I weigh and take measurements once per week, always at the same time of day. That's often enough to create a trending line that can be followed and used for course correction; and it's rare enough so that I can be pleasantly surprised.

Frankly, I don't think food translates to body weight on a 24-hour basis (could be wrong), so I don't see the point of using daily weights to correct eating habits.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

I used to weigh-in weekly...I switched to weighing in the first of each month. It's just a number after all and it shouldn't be the only measurement you take to track your progress.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hi I am an UNHEALTHY scale watcher. I became quite aware that it was an obsession when I was checking my weight even when I got up at night to potty. So, I threw it away. However, I wanted it back when I became a member here so I bought a new one. I found myself back in the same pattern so yesterday I put the scale up in a high spot that's not easy to get down. Now I plan to get it down on Friday and put it back up there on Sundays. I'm not losing weight very fast and put a pound or 2 on every once in a while. I am only eating 1200-1400 calories. My clothes are fitting more loosely. For God's sake, I'm a trained mental health professional and I know that it is unhealthy to watch the scale like that. Developing healthy lifestyle habits is the only thing that will work long-term. The whole obsession with numbers and with body image is what gets me caught up in this unhealthy cycle of losing and gaining. I'm grumpy this morning but my answer is weigh only once/ week at the most. We put on and take off water weight, etc so weighing daily is not really beneficial.

Originally Posted by Kauwela
I wasn't sure where it would be more appropriate to post this but it does have to do with weight loss. I was wondering what everyone's feelings were on the scale. Do you weigh everyday, once a week or what? I was weighing everyday, but I feel like if I do that I am setting myself up for failure since weight can fluctuate from day to day. I was thinking about going to once a week. Any thoughts or ideas or what works for everyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

Right now, I weigh myself daily. In the morning, in my nightie, just after I pee. I like to see the small ups and downs. I only record my weight officially on Mondays. But at this point in my journey weighing myself daily is allowing me to see the types of foods that make me hold water. I know that I can't possibly gain 3lbs in one day but I can retain that much water from eating a bunch of salty foods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.