Notices

How often do you step on the scale?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

For i started whit fit day i don't have a scale now i bought one and everymorning i weigh myself and fill it in the weight , now i see dat is it effectif that i walk and when i do a lot of walking on a day i see it the next morning on the scale ...
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

I think of someone weighing in several times a day to be "obsessed" and for anyone who weighs in daily or less to just be using it as a tool to track calorie burn. I weigh in every few days just to keep an eye on things. I know the numbers are misleading sometimes because I've paid attention to how eating and other factors have affected the scale. Sometimes, if I DO overeat, it doesn't show up on the scale the next day or day after, but it's STILL there waiting to pop up on the scale eventually....I know it averages out no matter what, unfortunately . Or if I hit a plateau, which happens to me after I've been good for a few weeks, I understand what to look for. I can plateau for 4 or 5 days, but then I usually see a drop, even if it's small. I use the scale to see how my body reacts to whatever is going on with me and maybe adjust what I am doing.

Last edited by SherryDarling; 02-21-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

That's true Sherry ,

I think also that it is a obsession if you check you're weight more then ones at a day . And i think it is at person different because i see that i just lose weight everyday and a nother person can not lose weight everyday then it became not something you need to do everyday that works not motivating .
Old 02-21-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Right Monnikjuh, I guess it depends on what you think is "obsessed", too. Either constantly physically getting on the scale to "check" or maybe it's just a frame of mind, the worrying about it. As long as you know it's just a tool to show you how you're doing over time, and that it fluctuates for lots of reasons, then you know you shouldn't be obsessed about it. The tool is only as good as we use it and understand how it all works. And for those of us losing weight (a lot of it), it really is an important tool.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

That's true Sherry ,
Because you can see you lose weight you are motivating you're self . At least it motivate me if i see in the morging that i lose weight now dat i walk an houre more that night before , that the reward so you will do it again
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
FitDay Member

After dropping 35 pounds about 13 years ago I have been weighing daily. If my weight jumps a couple of days in a row I immediately cut back to bring it back in line. Have maintained a steady weight slightly below what I weighed when I was 21. Tracking calories is the one sure way to lose weight or keep your weight in line.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
FitDay Member

Hot topic--especially with females!! As Stacey said, scales can be a tool or an impediment to fat loss. As a trainer, I can tell you that I've seen women work hard for a period of time, lose some weight and then become extremely discouraged when they hit a plateau to the point that they quit. That's an example of letting the numbers destroy your attitude. On the other hand, many people who should weigh don't because they know they haven't been putting in the kind of effort (usually nutrition) that yields results. We all like to see rewards for our work. My take on the subject is use all the tools: track food intake, use a tape measure, try to clothes that didn't use to fit, take pictures, get your bodyfat tested, BUT MOST OF ALL remember the goal is to be healthy and balanced...physically, mentally and spiritually.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
FitDay Member

PS: and use the scale. When I see 130# on my scale (for my build), I know I've been eating too much garbage.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone i am new to fitday and these forums. I have lost 40 pounds over 3.5 months and have another 80 to go. So a long ways yet.

I weigh myself every morning first thing. It keeps me focused and in charge of where i am going and what my goals are. I am 47 and not getting younger so i want to stay focused and get to healthy levels.

Now i log in my weight every day on fitday and i like it as i can compare weight loss with the graph of my goals.

What a great site this is!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

maybe I'm just an obsessive person. I weigh myself usually everyday, sometimes more than once a day but don't pay MUCH attention to it, I think it's more of a habit now. I usually measure myself in multiple areas weekly, track that along with my weight and BF% in excell.

I also take many pictures (multiple poses)and use photoshop to put them side by side to see the changes, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS!!

The crazy thing is that I'm at the point that I don't want/need to lose any more weight. Like I said I think I weigh myself out of habit. My main focus is getting my BF% a little lower while adding muscle. I think I may try to back away from the scale, except for my weekly tracking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.