FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Carbs - Sugars (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/9044-carbs-sugars.html)

RamseyOilman 01-28-2013 04:21 AM

Carbs - Sugars

I am new... is there a guide to show how many carbs and the amount of sugar one should have daily. I am down below 1,800 calories, but not losing weight - and I exercise 4 times a week... SO thinking it is carbs and sugars...Any info is appreciated

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 04:25 AM

It is really very different for each person. Some people here have a lot of success with low-carbing; others work best with a more equal balance between carbs, fat, and protein. There aren't any rules or charts to tell you (unless you are following a certain diet plan; in that case, check their website), because it is so variable.

If the percentages of each that you have now are not working for you, change it up and see what happens.

How many calories are you burning a day?

RamseyOilman 01-28-2013 08:42 AM

According to Fit Day Chart.. 650 / 800 calories each workout I work out 4 times a week... 3 min... My calorie intake is between 1,600 and 1,900... usually below 1,800 unless I have a beer or two....

cjohnson728 01-28-2013 08:54 AM

Yes, but what is your total calorie burn for the day? Not just exercise.

You want to have a deficit (total calories burned minus calories eaten) of 3500 for the week in order to lose a pound a week.

How long have you been at this?

RamseyOilman 01-28-2013 02:15 PM

Calories burned

Fit day Chart indicates 2800 daily activity and 650 activity calories. I lost 16 pounds but hav leveled off for past 4 months. Changed eating habits - similar exercise. My carbs are over 200, according to chart. 5 small meals - decent amount of activity. Looking for answers - especially in the mid section.

denise1021 01-29-2013 12:54 AM

Hello,
Try cutting your carbs and use STEVIA instead of regular sugar. It is NOT a synthetic sugar but 100% natural. Also check out Truvia. Hope this helps. It helped me with my notorious sweet tooth (LOL)

RamseyOilman 01-29-2013 02:09 AM

Thanks

I do not sugar and have not for a long time, except for the sugar I get in foods.
I want to have an idea of how many carbs to cut down too...

MaryTuittRD 01-31-2013 04:37 AM

Hi, I'm Mary one of the FitDay dietitians. If you eat 1800 calories per day, 200grams of carbohydrate is about 45% of your calories. As someone said earlier, it's different for everyone, but most recommendations say to keep your carbohydrates between 45 to 65% of your calories. Also, alcoholic beverages can get metabolized like a fat.
It's a good idea to limit sugar as much as you can. Sugar can sneak into some foods - look on labels for maltose or sucrose or other ingredients ending in "ose", high fructose corn syrup, honey, molasses, fruit juice concentrate. Food labels can be tricky when you look at the grams of sugar, as it can include the sugars from fruit (fructose) and milk (lactose). Ingredients are listed in descending order by weight so look at the list of ingredients and see sugars are one of the first few ingredients. Also, get as much fiber as you can - 14 grams per 1000 calories.

kozlov 01-31-2013 09:14 AM

Low carb diets

Hi Ramsey I guess it comes down to your bodies motabolism. If you uae fitday.com when you enter your foods it will give you nutruitive facts. There is no rule on how much carbs you need but aim for as low as you can, with high fibre items and high protein and low fat. Bannas are not good becuse they contain sugar and potatoes are a problem bwecause of the startch. aim to eat spinach, brocole, cauliflower, meet should be extra lean, I go to deli counter and have them cut up turkey and chicken breasts and low fat ham, also drink lots of water. By doing this your fibre will be up, proyein up and carbs and fat down. Hope this helps, Allen

Originally Posted by RamseyOilman (Post 94909)
I am new... is there a guide to show how many carbs and the amount of sugar one should have daily. I am down below 1,800 calories, but not losing weight - and I exercise 4 times a week... SO thinking it is carbs and sugars...Any info is appreciated

kkotelman 01-31-2013 10:35 AM

Tweek your macros here
Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

CARBS
100-150 grams/day – Maintenance Range
50-100 grams/day – Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss
0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Read more: How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple